New to Starcraft

Toby VT

Cadet
This weekend I pick up my (new to me) mid seventies 16' Super Sport. I have followed with great interest the wealth of info in this forum. I'm looking forward to contributing to the cause and share my experiences with the members. Can't wait to get it registered!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Welcome to iboats and welcome to the Starmada. We love our SS 160. She's an 81 and we use her for fishing and cruising. They are good boats. Post up some pics when you think of it. By the way you have to make 3 posts before you can upload pics. Although if you use a photo sharing site like photobucket you can paste your pics url now I think.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iBOATS. Toby.

We gotta see pics to grant full membership to the Starmada. :D

What is powering the new to you tinnie?

Toby VT

Cadet
I got it with an 85hp Evinrude. The oil injection has been disabled (thank God) and the condition of the boat is fair. It's a one owner boat that was primarily used to ferry a family to and from an island on a lake in Massachusetts. The hull is very clean (will be painted) and has never been beached or dented. There is one patch in the port bow between the spray rail and the keel. It apparently lost it's tie at the dock during a storm and had a hole punched in it. It's a square welded patch that was very well done. The floor is in very good condition and has the original vinyl covering. Transom is in good shape. I should get some new seats. I'm totally pumped on getting to work on this boat this winter.
The three post rule for posting pics... Is that 3 posts with their own topics or do replies count?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome Toby! :welcome:

Can't wait to see the "new" rig! :D

Toby VT

Cadet
Thanks so much for the welcoming! I'll post (unfortunately just an iPhone pic) tonight.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks so much for the welcoming! I'll post (unfortunately just an iPhone pic) tonight.

Welcome! Are you in VT? I'm up in Burlington on Champlain. Don't worry about cell phone pics, that's what most of us use now. My new Moto takes better photos than my old dedicated digital camera.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Toby :wave:

You came to the right place to dry dock your SS. Also when you get started working on her you can ask a Mod to change your thread title and just keep on going with this one.

Toby VT

Cadet
No Title

Last weekend's find. I pick it up tomorrow morning!

Attachments

• photo252153.jpg
    photo252153.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 1
  • photo252154.jpg
    photo252154.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I know someone that's going to have a long restless night anticipating bringing their new boat home. :joyous:

Toby VT

Cadet
Man this boat with 4 adults was doing 38mph today on the test drive on Otis Reservoir in southwest MA where I picked it up. Lotsa smooth power with the 85hp Evinrude. Tilt/trim is good. New battery. It's a 1971 model and the engine's a 1980. It idles a little high and I'm convinced I can get it tuned up. The plexiglass windshields need replacement. That model had the two individual windshields and the open space between them. The uprights adjoining the space between have snaps (and no evidence of a hinged window) so I assume there was a snap on panel? I think I need to find a later complete windshield. But man... this is gonna be fun. I sure hope the paperwork flies. Motor Vehicle is always a crap-shoot.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice rig! looks good!

I was gonna say that this boat will boogie with a V4 hanging on it! You beat me to it!

pckeen

Commander
Congrats on the new boat - good hull, good running motor - you are way ahead of the game.

Toby VT

Cadet
Well the "she admiral" and I took the Supersport 16' out on the Connecticut River today for the first cruise since I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. I had a little trouble with the tilt before we left the house. The relays were clicking so had to dig out the volt/ohm meter and figure it out. Jumped the relay terminals and still nothing. As it turns out it was the factory inline connectors were not passing voltage so cleaned them and presto... tilt/trim! It was a nice 20 mile trip that went smoothly. It does seem the idle return spring is weak or there's not enough free play in the throttle cable as it will go down if I manually put the linkage. The engine seems to use a lot of gas (3 gallons in 20 miles), Gotta look at that this weekend. God, this boat has some serious power with the 85 Evinrude. The boat is completely original and as such I see evidence of decomposition of the flotation with pellets of foam in the bilge. It leaks a little bit but I have no idea how much moisture is "sponged" into the styrofoam flotation. The Supersport 16' is in such good shape I cringe at the thought of lifting the floor and replacing the flotation. Too bad the weather is gonna suck this weekend otherwise I'd go to Somerset Reservoir for the sophomore cruise. I wish I could find a snap on cover for the bow section...

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
6+ mpg is very fuel efficient for any boat, especially one with a v4 crossflow. Maybe it's because your boat is so light, but most people would be psyched to get those fuel burn numbers with a carbed 2 stroke. Those engines were not known for low fuel consumption.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
^^^^^^Totally agree!^^^^^^

That's some seriously good mileage for an old two stroke. I'd be thrilled to get that myself!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Agreed, if we went 20 miles we'd be into the 2ed 6 gal tank.
We have a 1970 SS16 with a 85 Merc, so performance should be similar.
Ya, that's plenty of power for a SS16..

Dan

"(3 gallons in 20 miles)"