86 18' Starcraft SFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice job on the foam. I did mine very similar to that after seeing it on BWR1953's thread.

I am assuming the area behind the fuel tank is a ski locker but ignore this if I'm wrong. A word of advice / warning: Make sure you think about where the hatch will be in the floor for the locker, since it will need to fall in a single sheet of ply. And then think about how long skis are, and if you'll be able to get them far enough into the locker so they can clear the hatch. I ended up having to move my locker aft about one or two ribs at the last second before installing my floor because my original placement was basically centered on the hatch, which wasn't going to let long skis slide far enough into the locker to clear the hatch before hitting the end. I hope this makes sense. If I hadn't caught my mistake at the last second, the locker would have been unusable for longer skis.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Decking is cut, fit and getting sealed. Transom is in and some of the hardware back in with 5200 and with washers unlike the original hardware. Now I'm trying to figure out layout and seating options. I'm finding it hard to find what I need online for pedestals and seats. I'm a millennial that doesn't enjoy online shopping.

I also fixed my dads salmon net he broke with a 3/8 aluminum rod and rivets this week. Call it an early fathers day. Puts me firmly in first place as the favorite among six 😁

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So you're the 'good son' of the family and with a double jointed thumb too. :lol:

Shopping for pedestals and seats is very important and most guys take their time choosing. You should have the pedestals so you can get them placed and the mounting holes in the deck. Most of us put on a backer piece of 3/4" ply on the underside too with the T nuts for mounting.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at getting the hi lo plug in posts for the boat. Has anyone used them for theirs? They say they are only B class. I know I've seen them used as a class A seat, meaning it is used for driving over 5 mph. Also, I believe I need the 12 in post but I can't figure out how tall it is after you plug it in. Does anyone have one of these that could measure that for me? I'd greatly appreciate any input. I'd like all the seats of the boat to be removable if possible. These seem to be the best option.

Watermann

The Springfield plug in series is AD rated for driver and they brag about all the OEM boat makers using them. The pic also shows how the 12"s are measured.

Flyer_Plug-In_web.jpg

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again Rob! For some reason Iboats has it as class b. You must have got that from Springfields website I assume.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
You have to check the rating on the pedestal itself. I was looking at the hi lo when shopping for mine, it seemed only certain fixed height Pedestals were AD rated, the adjustable height ones were B. I bought permanent mount front Pedestals that were adjustable for this reason.

Watermann

Yeah that is from the Springfield site and the Hi Lo might be different from the one I posted which is the Plug in, I don't know if they are different, so a call into them or an email may be a good idea.

MNhunter1

Ensign
I'm looking at getting the hi lo plug in posts for the boat. Has anyone used them for theirs? They say they are only B class. I know I've seen them used as a class A seat, meaning it is used for driving over 5 mph. Also, I believe I need the 12 in post but I can't figure out how tall it is after you plug it in. Does anyone have one of these that could measure that for me? I'd greatly appreciate any input. I'd like all the seats of the boat to be removable if possible. These seem to be the best option.

From what I understand, the Hi-lo seat pedestals are driver rates when used in the normal plug-in fashion with the standard 2-3/8 seat mount (slides over pedestal). When using the Hi-lo seat mount (pin type plug into top of pedestal), they become only fishing/5mph rated unless plugged directly into the base with no pedestal. I have the 5.5" and 9" pedestal with both seat base styles. What specific measurement are you interested in?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
And MNhunter's reply is also correct, you could just use the large diameter seat base on the hi lo post and it's the same thing. Just don't use that pin style or you lose the AD rating.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys! I actually switched gears and went with swivel eze 238s. They were a better price and are class AO. I took advantage of free shipping from our host as well.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Pic test...
It's walleye and some gill and perch caught on Saturday

Attachments

• photo269244.JPG
    photo269244.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 7

Decker83

Commander
Only thing better than looking at that pic ^^^ is setting at the table and enjoying them..:D

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Update time. We cleaned some rust stains in the livewell with barkeepers friend and iron out. I think the PO stored his anchor in there. We also had the pedestal kits arrive. I bought one seat for the purpose of figuring out layout and the exact height I would be sitting at. Doing so showed that my windshield was too low. I don't want the top of the windshield where my preferable line of sight is. So I am raising it 4 " with plywood.

Attachments

• photo270424.JPG
    photo270424.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo270425.JPG
    photo270425.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo270426.JPG
    photo270426.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo270427.JPG
    photo270427.JPG