86 18' Starcraft SFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would strip the boat down bare. I've tried the skuff and paint before on the bottom of my SN and it pretty much fell off but the sides I stripped down bare and it's fine. Since then for me the next 2 boats it's strip bare, fill holes or dents, light sand the AL, SE primer, regular primer and then paint.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Little update. Flipped her over and started on the trailer. Did a lot of wire wheeling and sanding with 60 grit. Tonight I cleaned the parts with mineral spirits or acetone depending on the gunk factor. No I have a few parts with primer dangling from the trusses. I also installed some recycled florescent lights for better visibility.
IMG_1542_zpsstwkgzg6.jpg

.....oh and nevermind the mess :facepalm:

Watermann

Lookin good and I especially like the trailer parts mobile! :lol:

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I tested the wagner power sprayer a little today. That thing is a piece of crap. I had a siphon feed touchup gun that I bought for $10 at home depot a few years ago that I have never used. I tried it out today and had better results by far! My next move is to get a hvlp gun and paint the rest with that. No new pictures yet really. I have only been scraping and sanding and cleaning the chariot this week and fiddling around with paint spraying options. Hopefully the next pics will be of the completed trailer.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's the best technique for stripping the paint off the hull? I have jasco paint stripper that I apply with a paint brush. I cover with plastic and wait 15 minutes or so. When I try to scrape it off it barely comes off at all. Am I not waiting long enough? I also see that some will use stripper and power washer combo, should I go that route?

Watermann

Temp has a lot to do with how well the stripper works. On my SS I used the Jasco, a PW with 20 degree tip and a 3M scrub pad to get the remaining paint and green stuff off. It's not an easy task and it took a couple applications to get the paint off.

Are you starting on the transom? For some reason every boat I've done the transom is a HUGE PITA to get the paint off of no matter what. I don't know why either.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
The paint stripper along with the 3m stripper disc was my life saver. Let the stripper set awhile then hit it with the disc on a drill. But like mentioned above if its cold out it will not work as good as it would in the heat.

Ps the drill flings the stripper everywhere so cover up unless you pain tolerance is up there.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Roger that I'll give that a shot. Thanks fellas!

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trailer is painted and mostly put back together. I will probably replace the rollers with new nonmarring ones.
IMG_1587_zpsiz7iuhsu.jpg

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat paint strip progress. It really doesnt want to come off.
IMG_1589_zps1hcocy5h.jpg

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
I also have some issues with a stripped plug on the motor. Its actually a stripped helicoil on a stripped plug. I posted a thread for that on the Johnson forum. I am just hoping I dont have to replace the head.

Watermann

Oh boy that paint stripping is a huge chore alright, looks like you're off to a good start. I hope you have some company as misery loves it. :lol:

I just noticed that your 86 has a couple of the lap strakes on the sides, it must of been on the cusp of SC trying to decide whether or not to phase them out for good. Pretty cool :thumb:

It would be nice if your trailer had another cross member ahead of the axle so you could convert to bunks. Well if you were so inclined you would have the option at least.

Decker83

Commander
The sides will go a little bit easier than the bottom.. You don't have all the rivets to work around.. Keep on plugging at it and she'll get done..:D

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Looks like its goin good to me over there! There is nothing fast about it that fur sure. And looks like warmer weather would be helping you but the leaves and coat says cooler weather.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
The weather is actually warm here for November, but warmer would definitely be better.

dozerII

Admiral
Looking good, have you tried putting a good heavy coat of stripper then cover it with thin poly or saran wrap so you can let it soak for a couple hours or over night without drying out. It makes a huge difference In how the paint comes off

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've done a few hours. Not overnight though. Probably would be a good idea because my patience wears out and I just start scrapingšŸ˜¬

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
What kind of seating is prefered? I cant make up my mind. I go back and forth between pedestals or bases. I plan on doing alot of fishing, but that will most likely include my family of 6. For that reason im leaning on back to back seating, even though pedestal would be nicer for fishing. Id like to redo the splashwell and make a platform out of it. Id also like to add the folding jump seats on the sides like some of the newer boats have, but cant find them anywhere. Sorry ive been gone from here awhile. Winter has been busy and the garage isnt heated. Im really not much further along. Still scraping paint off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I like the seating option a lot of the newer boats have where there's a lounger on the passenger side and a pedestal seat for the captain. I also wanted flip down seats in the stern like the new ones but couldn't find anything. Got lazy and just went with jump seats and built a box in the middle with a removable fishing chair on it. If you buy a pair of kinda cheapo thin folding seats you could probably customize them into flip-ups into a rear deck.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Nice sfm, looking forward to seeing it progress. I feel your pain with winter holding up work, no heat in my hangar either. My ss kinda looks like an sfm now although not finished. I put a rear deck on mine if you want to check my thread out for ideas. I was going to do those fold down seats as well but decided it was already enough work just putting in the deck. If I decide I want seats there later I will just add some of the quick release bases and jump seats. I haven't updated my thread since July but you'll get the ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.