71' Offshore-V 18 - Prize Catch

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last edited:

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cleans up nicely! I don't think I will need to paint the entire boat for this reno. Except for the floor, transem and seats I can keep it original.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Just go for it and before you know it cold and deet will be only a memory :lol:

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just go for it and before you know it cold and deet will be only a memory :lol:
You know it guy !

Floor came out nice, good condition for a template. Lots of mouse tunnels in the foam. Hull looks nice under there. Transom brace has small cracks to address on either side. View attachment y4mHZXP_nvJMtNgCBQrys3ycFWx68P43oLQ39j1HWDvNlLXyonn1viiJQ-LjYVoHHkMzk6q6ejvynlJl6ueC3ubt0VaNEWfgWwjU View attachment y4m6ZPGpeZ3CESiVJOEYPd3SGdzGsWH-gPsdKnz0kkC-INn7akkjufKfz-8GyXDRjnVmqmOuBMylrW4IAUXjQNpQTCtGbzU1qpl6 Transom and splash well are coming out next. I've already removed most of the rivets I could find on the splash well, and most off the transom.

Last edited:

Watermann

Man that center section of the transom wood is real wet and punky looking. No wondering why the knee brace got cracked.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last edited:

Watermann

Looks like you got lucky with only one leak, should be an easy fix. I would still gluvit the seams and keel though just for good measure.

Yeha that chalky paint is pretty common. It probably needs to come off and new put on, it won't last very long in the deteriorated condition it's in if you try to buff it out.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Caulky from weathering, pretty typical for a 46yr old boat
Thanks for the swift response. I was worried there for a second. I kinda like the retro look of the original paint for now, it will look nice cleaned up. But a new paint job would be awesome. I will think about it, now's the time right.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like you got lucky with only one leak, should be an easy fix. I would still gluvit the seams and keel though just for good measure.

Yeha that chalky paint is pretty common. It probably needs to come off and new put on, it won't last very long in the deteriorated condition it's in if you try to buff it out.
thanks ! That is a great point. Adding paint prepping supplies to my list.

pckeen

Commander
If the paint is otherwise in good shape, I suggest a good scuff sand, followed by cleaning until you get all the chalk and sanding dust off - then prime any bare spots and paint over the top. Stripping paint is a pig of a job, and only necessary if you have a bad substrate - but if you don't get all the chalk off, the new paint won't stick.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the paint is otherwise in good shape, I suggest a good scuff sand, followed by cleaning until you get all the chalk and sanding dust off - then prime any bare spots and paint over the top. Stripping paint is a pig of a job, and only necessary if you have a bad substrate - but if you don't get all the chalk off, the new paint won't stick.

Thanks for the tip PC. Would 600 grit or scotchbright pad be the right call? By hand or can I use my orbital sander?

I didn't get the SW or transom out yet, got distracted by wobbly pops. Is it possible to leave the SW in and still remove the transom wood?

pckeen

Commander
When scuff sanding - I use 220 grit.

Looking at your boat, I believe you can leave the splashwell in. You'll need to take of the corner caps, then you'll need to take of the splashwell cap - it is probably nailed on (and be careful when you do - if it isn't coming out then you probably have some screws/nails/bolts still in it - if you force it, it is easy to bend and break them, and you'll have to fabricate a replacement). Under the splashwell, you'll probably find an aluminum lip which is screwed into the transom wood. You'll have to grind down the heads of the transom drains on one side of the transom, and you can then tap the drain tubes out with a hammer and screwdriver - be careful not to damage the aluminum transom. Then look for every bolt or screw you can find and remove it.

Then, once you have finished, you need to try to lever the transom wood up it'll probably be well stuck - I've used a hammer, a mallet, and a crowbar as persuading tools).

These old transoms have a large number of screws/bolts in them. If it doesn't start to shift with moderate persuasion, go back and take another look - there's probably a bolt or screw left in there.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't forget the splashwell drain tube. I did!

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks! I got all the easy ones out already. I haven't attempted the drain tubes yet thanks for reminding me