71' Offshore-V 18 - Prize Catch

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look what followed me home!

I had been looking for an older inexpensive SS for a very long time. When I found this for sale on kijiji for $350 cdn, and only 2 hours away I contacted the seller right away. The ad was only online for a few minutes! Score! I didn't know it was an Offshore-V until I went to check it out. The seller had bought the boat from the original owner in 2000, he said it was in mint condition then. He parked the boat in a field in 2008, because the lake nearby had become too shallow. At that time the boat was still in good running condition. There it sat for another 8 years until he decided to pass it on. The tarp disintegrated and the interior took a beating from the elements. The hull and trailer are in very good condition, hardly any scratches, chips or dents. The floor is a bit soft in places but pretty good. I plan on making this boat awesome again. I now have a 2.5 year old son and another on the way so I really did need a bigger boat anyway! I intend to use this boat for fishing and cruising. View attachment y4mmXYSfHIXkCFcHh_ozRbPpFhyqGhgS6oAgrFjfpyv8zACs1_pgD6C4gdhRHdzpzXIIg4bIq68QBtdC-zwknbB6HFIvUdKoMSuB

Last edited:

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well there ya go ! A bunch of pictures to check out. I have been looking at every SS thread I can find on here over the last month and can't wait to get this one going. I plan on doing the floor and transom, foam under the floor and all the wood at the consoles and bow area. Probably paint the trailer, maybe change to bunks. I already put new tires on when I picked it up. Also I plan on putting in LED strips under the gunwales and anywhere else I can sneak them in. I haven't done any testing on the motor yet. The steering seems locked up as well. The tilt worked when I hooked up the battery, also the spot light works. I still have my 66 dart that I use for fishing, but I don't want to give that up! I just finished getting that the way I wanted this summer. My buddy also picked up a 1960 jet for $500, all original. He painted the hull blue and put in a plywood floor this summer. View attachment y4mgCPSY7o4gbOdnrhtxEH_oVrhQkJ5wRnC_1ypiHBORsxsZlCaIfI9d6XqnU2CvJu0NZ64mgsVDFVGXNN44Cyr4-nF95zD59aMN View attachment y4mk6-kBOO6iUNx08Q6fg4mgGxDNniAaC1GecS1M1P_-xUbyGLXYqSf3VuLy33b9vkUauLwcFdikXBX1IVAYNCuDGYry3k2oUjYs

Last edited:

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Nice get, but, I'm curious and didn't see the answer in the catalog images, what is different that makes it a Offshore and not just a std SS?

Dan

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
image_270860.jpeg
Nice get, but, I'm curious and didn't see the answer in the catalog images, what is different that makes it a Offshore and not just a std SS?

Dan
I'm not exactly sure myself. Maybe at that time there was no 18' SS's? It looks like it only came in a 16' according the brochure. 1972 brochure 18 ft Super Sport VS 1971 brochure Offshore V specs show the same exact specs View attachment y4mhsvYTZJWhayGD8AFYSzCnQYoYLzcpDVPp3tsG7yTs2tpjn3MLKr858gNPxpPlyZzFb1ISCtWknNdxw8jcCI9U1346qbAMrY-5

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good thing the seller kept the racoon that ate the seats or the price would have been more in line with Canadian prices - 10X more. LOL

I'm sure the wood is all shot, but the hull looks super. No way you got didn't pick up a goodun, knezzer

An Offshore looks like an SS, but the hull is deeper or the sides are higher - Depends on your point of view.

os v ss.PNG

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
This is comparing a 16 to an 18, not fair/real. What about to a 18 SS?
Is the Offshore just the name used on the same boat before they called it a SS?

Dan

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is comparing a 16 to an 18, not fair/real. What about to a 18 SS?
Is the Offshore just the name used on the same boat before they called it a SS?

Dan
I looked at the 1972 brochures and the offshore-v is the same as the 18' SS. The offshore was just the early version. The offshore isn't offered after the 18' SS appears.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bow rise is differnt for an offshore

Dozer has rebuilt both, and didnt like the ride of the offshore hull and sold it.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice find and thank you for the pics! :thumb:

I believe the offshore also uses thicker gauge aluminum...it's a tank!

The Evinrude is electric-shift which could be a problem since most of the parts are NLA.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah nice addition to the fleet right there! :thumb: