1974 16' Starcraft SS Restoration Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you look inside where the hull curves up the bow, you will probably see the same goop. SC used the stuff to seal seams when the hull was riveted.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Goodyear Pliobond. It was used on all the lower hull seams between the lapped and riveted plates. It will shine like new when you get to the Gluvit stage. Don't remove any that is still firmly bonded.

AFK31911

Cadet
Good to know that I don't have to deal with the tar-like stuff. I do see it where the hull curves up the bow at mentioned. I have come to the conclusion that the thermostat in the motor is bad so I have ordered a new one. I ran the motor submerged as much as I could get it in a garbage can without the t-stat and it had very good flow out of the tell tale, so that tells me there is no blockage and the water pump I just put in is working fine. I also changed the lower gear lube, changed the engine oil, changed the spark plugs, and lubed the prop shaft as well as all grease fittings. The oil was super dark and the inside of the oil filter was pretty crusty. Once the t-stat arrives, I am going to run it to make sure all is well, then winterize it so I can store it while I work on the boat. Before winter I would like to at least get the rust removed, stringers re-riveted, adhesive removed, and the gluvit stage complete. If time allows, between everything else I have to do in the fall, I am going to try and pull the transom as well. During the winter months, I am going to try to prep as many of the interior components as I can as well as accumulate items that I will need along the way.

AFK31911

Cadet
Quick update. The thermostat arrived in the mail so I installed it and tested the motor again. This time gas started leaking from a gasket on top of the carb. I straightened it out and re-torqued the screws to get it to stop. The engine now works great. the water flows well out of the tell tale when the t-stat opens, and slows down to a sputter when it closes a little which, from what I have read, is how these little Merc 4 strokes work. Anyway, I ordered a new gasket for the carb, then I can get her winterized. I also picked up some rust remover and adhesive remover so I can start working a little magic on the hull.

Tallseeker

Cadet
Love your write up on this project. Just picked up a 1974 starcraft SS 16, no seats, windshield missing, consoles gone. Hull is sound though, and good trailer. Good to see so many turn out looking beautiful. Gives me hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.