Starcraft islander resto..... where to stop

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there. I have a 89 starcraft islander (22ft) its had a tuff life so far. Ive almost completely ground off 1/8 to 3/8ths of gluvit epoxy off the hull. Have found 15-20 questionable rivets. I will fill the hull up a bit with water again and make sure to get the bad rivets out. I have a few questions .
#1 how to tell what size/type of riviets i need.
#2 can i leave the gluvit on around the riviets ( almost all the hull was covered in gluvit and its so time consuming cleaning it all off the rivits ifnew gluvit will adhear i would love to just leave the 1/2 inch around them on and recoat the hull then paint.
#3 has anyone pulled apart and replaced the cuddy floors and stuff on one of these. Im sure the foam is wet and needs doing i just dont want to tackel it if it will be another $1000 and lots of hrs.

Im just kinda lost here on this turning into quite the project i was hoping just to strip hull and gluvit prime then paint but looks like it wants a floor /foam to i just wonder what im getting myself into.

Alumarine

Captain
Hi Captain. Maybe you could get a moderator to move this to the Starcraft forum.
Lot's of good advice there.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
There is no stopping...lol Once you get it the way you like it, you will find other toys to add to it......Seal the hull, you should pull the floor and bad foam, and rebuild it from the bottom up. Yeah it costs a bit more than you want to spend but it will make you love the boat more. I don't have an Islander, but have friends that do, and they like them a lot.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Captaincrisp

Take a look at the stickies on top of the Starcraft forum. The rebuild and resto thread has many Islanders where you can get some ideas.

Is the Gluvit on the outside of the hull? Gluvit isn't UV resistant and sunlight destroys it. The stuff works much, much better on the inside where it's protected from the sun.

If you want to have this moved to the Startcraft section, leave a message here and we'll move it over, The cost for the move is pictures, lotsa pictures. :D

GA_Boater

Now you're in the right place, Capt.

Now about the payment. ;)

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im only on mobile phone i got the photo bucket app but man im baffeled with posting pictures here

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
About to try and sneek the trailer out from under boat without it biting me ive ground away 70 %of the gluvit that only took 4 days lol

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think i did it wooo

Attachments

• 20160704_191727_zpshc0ciyfz.jpg
    20160704_191727_zpshc0ciyfz.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 3

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Theres the trailer qas in very rough shape. Lucky have a freind that weilds for a living and he quilted it together hes not proud of it lol. 12 feet of flat bar and 6 feet of angle iron to put it together. All pulled out of a dumpster in little peices

GA_Boater

If you display a pic in Photobucket and click on the IMG box, you can paste that into your post and this is what you get;

I see what you mean about the Gluvit mneared everywhere. Was she slipped in saltwater?

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes she was. Then i took it home and got the the motor running fine (as far as i could tell on muffs)then i put it in the salt again for a week and limped it around wasent running great but i just got it out there (4 min) and trolled for salmon on the kicker motor. It has a 250 hp yamaha 2 stroke. Just wondering can you star craft guys take a guess at how fast it will romp along at.

pckeen

Commander
So the Gluvit shouldn't be in the outside, and whoever installed it put it in some places where it isn't necessary. In terms of the rivets, you need bare clean aluminum wherever the rivet should be.

Removing the plywood and replacing the foam and plywood is the best way to do this, and you can then access both sides of the rivet to install solid rivets.

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So if i have a 3/8th riviet with a little bit of stuff on it i cant paint or regluvit and then paint over top(for uv protection).. i will be gutting boat to get at foam and gluvit inside, but i sure like how much the gluvit stopped damage from rocks and salt water on the hull. And i have no idea how to clean this stuff off the riviets properly without damaging them. Gluvit this old is harder then aluminum.... says my angle grinder

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also about to take trailer out and put on cinderblocks just wondering. Any spots of things i should worry about

GA_Boater

Gluvit won't be much salt water protection. One chip and that's the start. What that boat needs after fixing the hull is aluminum compatible bottom paint. Or no more slipping and keep her on the trailer with a good wash after each pull out.