Starcraft SS18 I\O Total Restoration

boaterken

Recruit
So this boat has been sitting in my driveway for a year now and I've been reading all the different restoration threads on iboats getting ideas. So the time has come to start this project. The goal is a total rebuild into a fish/ski multi purpose boat. I'm in Ontario near the Great Lakes and spend a lot of time in the Muskoka area, so this boat needs to be able to go down rigging one day and pull a tube the next. Willing to do this job right and have an automotive shop in the family with all the tools needed. This is the 8th boat I've fixed up, but definitely the biggest project I've taken on. Paid $600 Canadian so around $460 U.S. for the package, so there is some room to do it right. Should get into the tear down this week. Will post more pics soon.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to iboats, the Starmada and the Tin-sanity

Cant see the outdrive in the pix, Mercruiser or OMC?

If its not got a running I/O motor, whats the plan? 4.3L Mercruiser?

Dozer (Glen) will be along shortly, be sure his and Budski (John) Canadian rebuilds are a healthy portion of your study materials.

Good luck

boaterken

Recruit
Hey jbcurt. I've read through most of Dozers and Jasoutsides threads along with Grandpa and Budski's. Feel like part of the Starmada family just from reading through everything the past year.
As for the boat it has a 3.0L Mercruiser which was winterized and running 3 years ago. It's not seized and it cranks over with no scary noises, hopefully it can be saved. I've been considering a 4.3L swap but I'm leaning towards the 3.0L hopefully with a first gen Alpha 1 outdrive swap. Mods wise the boat is going to get a slight windshield lift (more on that later), livewell, casting deck, loads of storage, full rewire, transom, floors, new canvas, paint etc. The trailer will also be getting a full rebuild.
I will try to post lots of pics and probably ask for lots of advice. I've been blown away by the rebuilds on this forum. As a kid my Dad had a 22 Holiday, 2 18' Chieftans and a 22" Chieftan, I had a 14' SF years ago as well. Unfortunately there were a few glass boats after that, the last boat was a Smokercraft, but I've always liked the older Starcraft bowriders and aluminum is always the way to go....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Feel free to drop some family pix on us of the previous SCs when ya find some....

We promise not to hild the glassers agaist ya.... much.....

Lots of great builds here. Good stuff in most of them. Even a few How Not Tos..

Decker83

Commander
:welcome: aboard..
Great looking SS if I do say so myself..:D
Looking forward in seeing what you do with her.. Maybe I'll get some ideals from you..

mainejack

Cadet
Very nice boat, and an I/O too. Welcome from another new guy and good luck!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Ken :wave:

and to the Starmada, looks to me like you'll have a full rebuild on your hands and some substantial trailer work too. I'll be tagging along at your dry dock and looking forward to some more pics of your SS.

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome to the Starmada Ken, great to have another Canuck on board.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi neighbour. From the waterline staining, it looks like she was sitting several inches lower than normal, enough so that I'll bet there was standing water above the flooring. It'll need a complete gutting probably. With that much flotation submerged, it's a wonder she stayed on the surface. Maybe sat on the beach awhile? - Grandad

Pi Man

Cadet
Nice to see another SS181. I love mine and would love to see more pics of yours. What year is it?