1974 18 ft. Starcraft Super Sport I/O

mainejack

Cadet
Here I am a couple of months away from retirement and I just bought my first boat. I'm already very appreciative of this forum and the enthusiasm you guys have for Starcraft. Every time I've had a ride in a boat I temporarily caught the bug, but I let it fade. Life went on, and I already had a couple of expensive hobbies, cars and guns, my first loves. But after vacationing the last couple of years at a lake with my family and more cruising and fishing in my son-in-law's 19 ft. aluminum Crestliner this summer, I didn't let my interest in boats fade this time.

I started looking online and saw a 1973 Chieftain 120 I/O. It was cheap, a project boat with a double axle trailer. I started doing some reading about it online and discovered this forum. It didn't take long get hooked on Starcraft, and a big part of that was your restoration thread, what a resource! And then there was the enthusiasm. But I wanted an open bow, long story, but it's the most practical for us. Maybe next time. Yeah, next time, you guys have made me crazy already and I haven't even got this one going yet.

And I already know what some of you are thinking, I'm 3 paragraphs into this and I haven't even posted pics yet. Well, they're already taken. This is my first post, so as soon as I come up with a couple more I'll post them.

The engine isn't original, a 120 was. It has a 160 HP now, and it's stuck, how bad I don't know. I have a special light coming that will help me see the interior of the cylinders. The PO had already oiled the cylinders, and I added some PB Blaster to that. Leveraging against the flywheel teeth as hard as I dared, it didn't budge. If I see that the cylinder walls are like a mirror, and it's just the rings that are stuck, I probably would have a hard time resisting the temptation to turn it over once freed up. Who knows, it could be freeze cracked, although the PO, who also bought it as a project, checked it when he first got it and it was dry. The dipstick shows no evidence of water. If the engine is gonzo I'll be a little disappointed, but oh well, I got the whole deal for what the trailer was probably worth. The light should be here tomorrow.

Two more to go....

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome to the Starmada, as soon as you post the pics your dues will be paid and your decoder ring will be sent out:D;)

mainejack

Cadet
Thanks guys. It's a Mercruiser. There's a stick on emblem on both sides near the transom that says "120", the upper part of the stern drive has a decal that says "140", and the decal on the valve cover says "160". And I have a "440" in the garage, lol. :fear:

mainejack

Cadet
That's a lot of motor for your boat, about 8 inches longer than a 140, will be taking up a lot of additional deck space.

Really? I'm trying not to grin, because I'm one those excess is best critters. I don't even know how fast these things are. The engine, even though it can't be original looks like it is, like it belongs there, and the engine cover certainly fits. The ID plate near the steering wheel is so faded I can't read it, so I don't know what the hull is rated for. Anyway, this is what it looks like. The shot showing the "120" emblem isn't clear, but it's very legible in person.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I think he meant the size of the motor taking up room not that it's over powered. There isn't a HP max rating on an IO like an OB and that IL 6 is not over powering your SS.

Alumarine

Captain
Just noticed that the safety hose that runs from the bottom of the fuel pump to the top of the carb is black. It should be clear.
It's so you can tell if the fuel pump diaphragm has torn.

mainejack

Cadet
I think he meant the size of the motor taking up room not that it's over powered. There isn't a HP max rating on an IO like an OB and that IL 6 is not over powering your SS.

Thanks Watermann, sorry Dozer. I'm getting my stuff together to remove the driveline. I'm going to get the engine torn down and the block checked for cracks, etc., as soon as possible in case I have to find another block or donor boat.

mainejack

Cadet
Just noticed that the safety hose that runs from the bottom of the fuel pump to the top of the carb is black. It should be clear.
It's so you can tell if the fuel pump diaphragm has torn.

Thanks, I didn't know that. What's the indicator, what would I see? I'm going through everything because the boat is so old and I don't know much about it (neither did the PO, he never had it running).

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If the diaphragm in the fuel pump ruptures then with the clear tube you can see fuel being sent into the carb.

mainejack

Cadet
I finally did an afternoon fishing-style leak test on the boat using a kicker motor and I am pleased that it stayed completely dry except for around the bottom of the keyhole. This was especially good news since the deck is sound, which means I don't have to tear it up to properly deal with rivets and so on. I was planning on replacing the transom wood anyway while the engine and stern drive is out.

This project is going to go slow until our other property is on the market but I am still hoping to get the driveline out before cold weather. Until then, a couple more leak tests couldn't hurt. :D

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
That's a nice part of Maine you boat in. Beautiful and quiet. That boat should be perfect for it.

Ron

mainejack

Cadet
That's a nice part of Maine you boat in. Beautiful and quiet. That boat should be perfect for it.

Ron

Thanks Ron, you captured the essence right there. We love the coast too. In fact after putt-putting around with that little 1985 Evinrude 6 HP twin I've been looking into sound deadening for my I/O, quiet is beautiful.