What year is this?

TDIGUY

Cadet
I was just given this Starcraft from my Dad, Motor is currently at the shop to see if it can be saved.
I am trying to find out what year it is so I can start planning what will be done with it going forward.

My dad had it on the lake last year until the motor started acting up and it seemed pretty solid.

There is no ID plate on the boat that I could find. Just rivet holes where it should have been so any help would be appreciated.

Pictures are from my parents house before making the 800km drive to me. It is now in my driveway as of yesterday to start looking it over.

IMG_1643.JPG IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1649.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1654.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does your Dad have any paperwork, like for registration? How long and wide is she?

Narrowing it down to some years - early to mid 60's

TDIGUY

Cadet
I am going to be talking to him tonight to see what other information he has. I will also take some measurements to post up.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
I would agree that it looks like it was built the first half of the 1960's. That windshield appears to be from that time. She looks a lot like a Jupiter but the length and beam measurements will give an excellent idea

TDIGUY

Cadet
Couldn't find my tape measure last night so I will bring one home from work to get the measurements, Eyeball measurement would say about 14' long.
My dad has all the ownership papers but forgot them at home, He is headed back today so I should get more information from him when he pulls up the paperwork in the next couple days.

We took a good look over it last night, The steering cables will need to be replaced and I am missing 1 of the pullys.
Floor is fairly solid but you can see some rot starting under the carpet at the back of the boat, Will need to take a closer look under the rest of the carpet.
Otherwise it looks like it just needs a bit of TLC to get it cleaned up and ready for the water.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard TDIGUY :wave:

Nice project run about you have there. It looks like the transom may have been replaced at some point, if you look at the pic of the transom you can see the machine screw heads have no paint on them and they should be mostly solid rivets not SS screws. Do you have a motor?

fetch

TDIGUY

Cadet
I took a closer look at the transom, looks like the wood has definately been replaced but all the rest of the rivits look original.

I have a 25hp suzuki 3 cylinder that came with the boat. It is at the shop now to see if it can be saved. When my dad ran it last there was some water in the oil injection tank and it stalled out and has not run since. Hoping to hear back from them on Friday with the results of their inspection.

Got the measurements on the boat now too. It is 66"w and just short of 15 feet long.

If all goes well with the motor I may be able to get it on the water for a family camping trip in 3 weeks.

TDIGUY

Cadet
I did some digging through the brochures and specifications and I think I have narrowed it down to a 62 Jet or a 63 Jet or Jet Star.

On the down side though, I got the call from the shop to say my motor is not worth fixing.
On it's last run when my dad had it water got into the oil injection tank somehow and the motor stalled out. There is a hard spot turning the engine and they told me it will cost more in parts and labour that to pick up another newer used motor.
Going to pick it up this week and take a closer look myself and see if it is something I want to attempt to rebuild myself or if I am better off picking up a different motor for it.

Will not be on the water now this summer and I will probably do a more in depth rebuild to get it all cleaned up and ready for next summer.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's a bummer but you're on the right track, I would take a look myself too.

bunnymoney

Seaman
I have a boat that looked just like yours when I got it. It has a long shaft transom and identical dimensions. I have the original aluminum transom tag.
Mine is a '65 JetStar.

Hopefully you still have that 3 cylinder motor. If it is rebuildable, even if expensive, it has more value than you might suspect. Read up on the early Evinrude/Suzuki 3 cylinder motors.