Tips for launch/retrieval chief/islander cabin boats

delms82

Seaman
Any tips or video for launching and retrieval of alum cabin boats would be appreciated. I currently secure single rope to stern and bow cleats when dropping in water for better control. Also anyone do it alone?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Depends on launch location and what you have available...

If there's a courtesy dock right by the ramp... a long line from a stern cleat to a cleat on the dock and a couple of bumpers on the side of the boat... loop the line over a bow cleat after the dock cleat and just haul it tot he dock by hand real quick. Tie and go park the tow vehicle + trailer.
That's about as fast as single handed unloading gets.

Generally single handed unloading is...
Undo all the straps, winch etc, but leave a line tied from cleat to trailer (knot that takes a quick yank to untie)
back up to where the stern is just getting light on the trailer...
shut off the tow vehicle.
hop into the boat, start it and back off the trailer.
get to courtesy dock and tie up quick.
Run to the tow vehicle and go park.
Go back to the boat and have fun on the lake.

Having lines already tied to the cleats for the docking helps make it a little faster.
Knowing how to do a quick cleat hitch is also helpful.

https://wlscjibsheet.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/cleat_hitch.gif

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I always launch and retrieve alone. None of the ramps have a dock close enough for solo boaters. My little 16 footer is low and when launched, I end up crawling over the bow from the trailer. Retrieving is the reverse.

I can manage that, but if I had an Islander, something would have to change. The problem with boats like Islanders and Chieftains is sheer height. A ladder on the trailer, similar to many pontoon trailers would make it easier. Then you can get the boat floating and climb aboard via the ladder. Same when coming back in, put the boat on the trailer and use the ladder to get down to hook up the winch.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've not launched or retrieved my Chief alone but I can say it would be dangerous to try and climb up on the bow. If I were to attempt it with my Chief I would bow line the boat but you're probably going to get your feet wet doing it. Back in, push off and once clear of the trailer pull the boat over to the dock.

dozerII

Admiral
I've not launched or retrieved my Chief alone but I can say it would be dangerous to try and climb up on the bow. If I were to attempt it with my Chief I would bow line the boat but you're probably going to get your feet wet doing it. Back in, push off and once clear of the trailer pull the boat over to the dock.

You forgot there is this way to:D

https://youtu.be/y5ejwRj9t1Q

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I bought $40 thigh waders from Amazon. I have one of those Ulterras on my boat but there's too much boat traffic where I launch to use it like that. The easiest way is to get wet.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Ya, they'd be watching me hammering the button on the dead remote like I do in front of the TV as we all watch her drift to the far shore! :lol: - Grandad