Starcraft Chieftain 18.5 rescued from the blackberry brambles for the second time.

Hello Everyone,

I'm been on here looking at the restorations and dreaming of my chance to own a Starcaft. I live on the west coast of Canada in Victoria. Starcrafts are not easily found for sale in this area. I found myself driving around much of the time with my head on a swivel looking from left to right hoping to find the silhouette of a Chieftain.
Man my neck became sore. I finally found my current project. I felt very uneasy peering through the fence to get a look at her...(The Starcraft). Anyways, I have a long way to go but it will be a labor of love to get her back to a usable condition. I won't kid myself, she will likely never look as beautiful as some of these restorations on here but she will be functional and sea worthy, and that is what counts for me.

20160609_161436 (800x450).jpg

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
. I won't kid myself, she will likely never look as beautiful as some of these restorations on here but she will be functional and sea worthy, and that is what counts for me.

That's all that really matters, the rest is just how far you want to take it. For me, it wasn't that far :lol:. But replace all the rotten wood and make sure the vital systems are go.

Looks like a good find!

Here are some pictures after getting her home.
20160710_180946 (800x450).jpg
20160710_180959 (800x450).jpg
20160710_181032 (800x450).jpg
20160710_192218 (800x450) (2).jpg
20160710_181217 (800x450).jpg

Take a look a the turn buckles. I don't recall them being incorporated into the original build. Wonder if I should keep them after replacing the transom with Marine ply.
20160710_183913 (800x450).jpg

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
2hFsEX3.jpg

That is a bona fide shade tree farm hack. The PO was trying to support the rotten transom with that crazy rig. I would say absolutely under no circumstances should you replace that after you put the new transom in. That flat bar on the wood and the plates between the ribs are not factory.

Nice clean slate otherwise. Check for rib end, knee brace, and splashwell cracks. I bet the splashwell and knee brace need repair.

Is that an anode next to the drain tube? Saltwater boat?

There are at least 3 active members here with the same boat, myself included. We should be able to collectively answer most questions you may have. Welcome!

Last edited:
2hFsEX3.jpg

That is a bona fide shade tree farm hack. The PO was trying to support the rotten transom with that crazy rig. I would say absolutely under no circumstances should you replace that after you put the new transom in. That flat bar on the wood and the plates between the ribs are not factory.

Nice clean slate otherwise. Check for rib end, knee brace, and splashwell cracks. I bet the splashwell and knee brace need repair.

Is that an anode next to the drain tube? Saltwater boat?

There are at least 3 active members here with the same boat, myself included. We should be able to collectively answer most questions you may have. Welcome!

That is great to hear. Help can go along way when trying to figure out what parts I am missing.
The splash well had a crack that looks like it was JB welded. I haven't noticed any issues with the knee brace.
I was hoping to take the turn buckles out.
That is an anode next to the drain tube. Considering it spent it's life on Vancouver Island, it likely has seen the saltwater.

I am in need of a bow hatch. Are they the same size on other models. I saw an Islander that is land locked and was hoping on getting parts off of it.
I also need a stern corner.

Thanks for the welcome.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
The Islander hatch will probably fit if you can snag it. Corner caps are much harder to find...you may need to talk to a machinist about that piece.

dozerII

Admiral
Great find and welcome to the Starmada. Just goes to show if you have patience and a keen desire you can find what your looking for. The turn buckles are for sure a Red Green fix, but structualy better than most I have seen, with a new transom and repaired splash well there is no need for them. Let me know which corner you need i will dig through all my parts.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Enjoyed the opening! Nice catch for sure. Half the dirty work is already done for you too. I can half way see the intent behind that transom support thing he had going on. Thats what I call good initiative/bad judgement though. Lookin forward to following along.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome to the mob dad*! :welcome:

your persistence and patience paid off! Nice clean slate for your project! :thumb:

It's amazing the extent that some people will go to avoid replacing a hunk of laminated plywood.

I have no clear idea of the year of manufacture due to the Manufacture/Coast Guard plate being faded beyond readability. I also don't know the outboard maximum.
I have a Evinrude 140hp from a glasser that has a soft floor. Ideally, I was thinking of a Yamaha 90hp 100:1, 2 stroke but with funds tight at this time. I was wondering the Evinrude would be overkill or would the 90hp be too little?

dozerII

Admiral
If you look on the right top corner there may be an aluminum tag with the hin # on it. If it doesn't have one and there isn't two 3/16"holes about 3"apart in that spot it didn't have a Hin# and is prior to 1972

Alumarine

Captain
If you look on the right top corner there may be an aluminum tag with the hin # on it. If it doesn't have one and there isn't two 3/16"holes about 3"apart in that spot it didn't have a Hin# and is prior to 1972

Glen means the right (starboard) top corner on the outside of the transom I believe.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
My $0.02: you can hang a v4 2 stroke on a new transom no problem. More power than you'll need but not too heavy for the boat. I'd do it if I had one.

dozerII

Admiral
According to the 1972 brochure the 18 Chieftain O/B is rated for 1900 lbs / 8 people / 140hp

It is a VRO V4 that has an oil injection tank. I was thinking about removing the tank and using mixed gas to ensure there are no issues with the oil injection not working. Plus I would be able to use the same tank for my 9.9 kicker. I thought it would be too heavy of an option.

dozerII

Admiral
It is a VRO V4 that has an oil injection tank. I was thinking about removing the tank and using mixed gas to ensure there are no issues with the oil injection not working. Plus I would be able to use the same tank for my 9.9 kicker. I thought it would be too heavy of an option.

Going pre-mix on the gas is a good idea, the VRO systems are well known for failing.