Neutral safety switch

pickard1

Cadet
Hi folks,
I just bought a 1987 StarCraft Medalist 1601 (I think), and the first thing I need to iron out is the neutral safety switch. Everything was fine as I checked my compression (160 all four cylinders) but after I put it all back together, turned key & nothing. I ran to the internet and read that it may be the neutral safety switch.
Try wiggling the throttle in neutral. I tried it and it worked. Anyway, took apart my controls and here is a pic. Can someone eyeball the switch for sure? Is it the small black unit with the red and yellow connectors?

Attachments

• photo247963.jpg
    photo247963.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 2

pickard1

Cadet
FYI, fixed the problem. It is the neutral safety switch in the pic and it was good, but the previous owner had left all the screws to get loose at the control box.
Tightened everything up and it's perfect.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Always nice to find and fix your own issues. Now you have a more thorough understanding about such thing. And any time you can learn new things is a good experience. Happy and safe boating. JMHO!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Nice work pickard!

Not to hijack the thread, but a question I had already posted in the mercury outboard portion has gone unanswered. Anyone know where the NSS on the actual motor itself would be located? I believe mine to originally be a tiller model based on the ser. # and homemade steering mount on the motor itself when i got it. Most of everything I search is control box related. But I know I read something about them being on the motor also if not remote steer.