1960 Jet?

amuller

Seaman
I''m going to look at what is supposed to be a 1960 Jet with most of the interior stripped out. (I am not sure this is really a Jet, as the splash tray looks deeper and has two holes on the side mounts.) My interest would be to use it as a utility/fishing boat so I'd probably remove most of the bow deck and not install floors, etc. What I have in mind is something like this person is doing: http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15363.

Couple of questions:

how do these hulls perform? They are very flat in back and I wonder about the directional stability and ability to handle wakes. Our use could include large lakes but not any open coastal waters or Lake Superior.

Is the front deck needed structurally? How about the rear tray?

I'd likely want to install a center mounted steering station, mainly as I don't like sitting right by a droning motor, and for balance. Does this make sense?

Thanks for any guidance.

Alan

Attachments

• photo247547.jpg
    photo247547.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 9

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not sure I like how the owner is treating the old gal, sure hope you or someone else can pick her up out of the dirt.

Yeah I can't say exactly for sure what model of SC that one is but I would venture to say it's not a 1960 Jet. My best guess would be a 1967 Jupiter.

fetch

InMotion

Commander
Yup... looks like a Jup to me too.... just in the pic the transom looks straight across which is a bit odd....

Interesting storage location... but would drain well!

Jim

amuller

Seaman
Information from present owner is inconsistent; I probably won't know until I see it and possibly not then....

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
So have you seen this yet? And did you get it? Sure wish you would, much too tempting. :)
Actually there are a lot of interesting boats lately in the list.

Dan

Last edited:

amuller

Seaman
I went to look at it last night. From the data plate:

Jet Star 15 ft.
Max 50 hp
Capacity 1100 pounds.

The serial number begins with 66, then a space, then some other numbers--not all legible. Can I assume 66 refers to the year.

It has a 21 inch transom.

Boat has pretty much been stripped down to the metal. No obvious corrosion. Transom wood is rotten but replacing it looks like no big deal. About two feet forward of the transom the keel has an upward bend of maybe 1/2" inch. Wondering if this could be bumped back down.

I am probably not going to get this boat, but if I did, I'd be interested in setting it up more as a utility with the front deck and dash removed. This is probably heresy and all that. But, wondering if the hull would be weakened too much by doing this. Are the front deck and dash structural? Likewise, is the tray in front of the transom structural?

Thanks.

Alan

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I am probably not going to get this boat, but if I did, I'd be interested in setting it up more as a utility with the front deck and dash removed. This is probably heresy and all that. But, wondering if the hull would be weakened too much by doing this. Are the front deck and dash structural? Likewise, is the tray in front of the transom structural?

Thanks.

Alan

Yes, removal of these elements would require additional bracing to prevent twisting & metal fatigue.

It sounds like you may be in the market for a supersport, startrek or mariner (CC) hull style.

if you have your heart set on tearing into the jet star, review the rebuilds to see StarCraft engineered those bow sections.

amuller

Seaman
Agreed the boat should not be mutilated into something else. OTOH, present owner is asking $200 and says it is going to scrap in a couple of weeks.....