My 1984 Starcraft 160 SS

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Just got this home today. Lots of tinkering yet to come but this boat is very solid one owner. I think it will be a fine multi purpose boat.
Already moved the winch post forward as the trailer had nearly no tongue weight. This boat was always stored indoors. Floor is perfect, transom is dry.
I will have many questions to come.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
She's a nice looking SS, Ricohman. Hope you were able to knock a little off his price.

Your Excursion won't even feel her on the ball. Heck, the Pinto could handle her. :joyous:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
She's a nice looking SS, Ricohman. Hope you were able to knock a little off his price.

Your Excursion won't even feel her on the ball. Heck, the Pinto could handle her. :joyous:
Your not the first person to call my 6.7 F350 an Excursion, must be the white topper.
But recognizing a Pinto should be lauded!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice looking SS. They do make good all around boats. We use ours for fishing and cruising. Looks like she has been well taken care of.

This is the one you weren'tsure about buying in your other thread? If so looks like the 4 hour drvie paid off.

Oh and the Pinto looks cool as well.:thumb:

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the Starmada! Sweet little SS she is :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your not the first person to call my 6.7 F350 an Excursion, must be the white topper.
But recognizing a Pinto should be lauded!

Looking closer I see double side windows. It must be what looks like mirrored glass on the topper. I was a Pinto owner at one time

Welcome back to the Starmada! Sweet little SS she is :thumb:

Fixed it, Rob. Ricoh had an new Islander 221 from the final year, 2010 or 11. I think the dealer had it more during the first year with paint troubles.

:thumb: I like it! Of course I would--- as it is nearly identical to my '84 SS 160. I don't have the gauge to the right of the Nav Lights and Bilge switches. Is that a speedometer?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
:thumb: I like it! Of course I would--- as it is nearly identical to my '84 SS 160. I don't have the gauge to the right of the Nav Lights and Bilge switches. Is that a speedometer?

That is the power trim gauge.
I have yet to look through the boat. I need to make a list of what needs doing now and what can wait.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Looking closer I see double side windows. It must be what looks like mirrored glass on the topper. I was a Pinto owner at one time

Fixed it, Rob. Ricoh had an new Islander 221 from the final year, 2010 or 11. I think the dealer had it more during the first year with paint troubles.

That's right. I'm back.
I sold the big Islander when the boys no longer wanted to come out with me. It was just to big for one guy to use. Big boats are big work. Just covering it was a 25 minute chore. I miss the Islander but I wanted to go smaller and simpler. And I don't want to worry about paint scruffs and such.
Speaking of paint scuffs, do I need to worrying about the bare aluminum spots the rollers have made on the bottom of the hull?
I don't like bare aluminum and I can see why bunks are more popular now. The rollers even left nice little depressions in the hull!

Tnstratofam

Commander
In your other thread you talked about the tongue wait being to light, and about moving the winch tower and the boat forward on the trailer. I'm wondering if the reson they were moved back was because of the dents left in the hull by the rollers.

I'm not a fan of roller trailers with aluminum boaats for this reason. You might consider converting that trailer to bunks. Or perhaps start a thread in the trailer forum and ask what would be the best way to prevent the hull from warping or denting on rollers. It really boils down to to small of a surface area supporting the hull with rollers in my opinion. Bunks provide a more flat and longer surface area which decreases deformation of the hull. Plus ous 160Ss is easy enough to load and unload from our tilt trailer with bunks so I don't see a big advantage to the roller setup for me.

Oh as to the paint scuffs we have a few allong the bottom of the hull and they seem fine after several years use. I boat only in fresh water mind you so if you boat in brackish or salt water you will want to fix the scratches or coat the bottom with paint suitable for that use.

As to the looks the fish don't care what the bottom of my boat looks like, and they see it more than anyone else does.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome back to the Starman. Great looking SS. I have converted a couple of trailers to bunks and am very happy with them. Much better for the hulls.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome back to the Starman. Great looking SS. I have converted a couple of trailers to bunks and am very happy with them. Much better for the hulls.

I am going to do some research and see if I can do this in my driveway. I have no way to lift the boat off the trailer.
The dents are now exposed as the boat had been riding there for some time.

dozerII

Admiral
I am going to do some research and see if I can do this in my driveway. I have no way to lift the boat off the trailer.
The dents are now exposed as the boat had been riding there for some time.

If you can take some pictures of the roller set-up and post them we should be able to help you. If you have some old tires or foam blocks it is really very easy to put your boat on the ground, I do it by myself with an 18ft with no problem.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice looking boat! Your configuration must have been set up by the same guy who did mine, I had no tongue weight either and looked like it had been that way since day one. I currently am putting my trailer back together after paint and have set the axle back a bit to hopefully fix the issue. if not I will slide the winch tower forward from where it was.

Nice looking Pinto, makes me wish I still had mine (351w for power)!

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
If you can take some pictures of the roller set-up and post them we should be able to help you. If you have some old tires or foam blocks it is really very easy to put your boat on the ground, I do it by myself with an 18ft with no problem.

On the ground? Really? How do you get it back on the trailer?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Nice looking boat! Your configuration must have been set up by the same guy who did mine, I had no tongue weight either and looked like it had been that way since day one. I currently am putting my trailer back together after paint and have set the axle back a bit to hopefully fix the issue. if not I will slide the winch tower forward from where it was.

Nice looking Pinto, makes me wish I still had mine (351w for power)!

That Pinto was bought just for that purpose. I am still debating on cutting up such a nice rust free car. Only has about 26000 miles. A never driven in the rain or winter. One 99 year old owner who passed away.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Nice Boat.

Or not.
When we bought our SS16 many years ago, we had a Pinto wagon, 2300/4sp, our only car.
I only had 20 miles or so to go to get it home so I used it.
Way over matched, just about smoked the clutch getting it home, and I drove very slow.
Got a full size Dodge wagon (think land yacht) to pull it, with it's 440 engine and large mass you didn't know the boat was back there.

As for bunk trailers, I hate them. Way easier loading/unloading on marginal ramps with a roller trailer. And driving up with the motor should be outlawed.
I suspect most damage to boats from them is from owners over tightening the straps and/or too large a trailer for the boat.
Gotta let the springs do their job.

Dan

"Heck, the Pinto could handle her."

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
On the ground? Really? How do you get it back on the trailer?

You bet, well on the old tires. To get it back on I hook up the winch, lift the tongue on the trailer to start the boat on and wind away. I sent you a
PM.

Alumarine

Captain
Nice looking boat.
Should scoot along pretty good with that motor.

As Glen says it's not too hard to get a boat that size on to tires and back on the trailer.

Just curious, what do you tow with the F350?

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Nice looking boat.
Should scoot along pretty good with that motor.

As Glen says it's not too hard to get a boat that size on to tires and back on the trailer.

Just curious, what do you tow with the F350?

The 12000lb flat deck with an FJ40 on top. Along with a welder, spare parts and a weeks worth of camping gear. Total weight is about 11000 lbs but that is out of reach of half tons I guess.

Last edited: