Bottom painting recommendations

Pabs311

Cadet
We are getting ready to start picking up materials for prepping and painting the bottom of our '87 Starcraft Mariner. I think we are pretty on point for the prep plan: power-washing the bottom to knock as much of the old, loose paint off, scrape then sand with 120 grit the spots where the paint is down to bare aluminum until we can get a nice, clean, un-corroded surface on those spots.

As far as primer and paint are concerned is where we can use some suggestions. The boat will be trailered daily so I don't think anti-fouling paint is necessary to keep all the critters and sludge off the bottom.

Here's a few pictures of what we are up against. The darker gray is old paint that was under the blue. I think we are going to have to get as much (if not all) of the blue off since it is flaking and comes off just from running your hand over the surface. The lighter gray/white is corrosion. There are quite a few spots like this over the bottom:

This is a spot where we had sanded with 120 grit to get a better idea of what we are up against:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would try to get that down to bare AL, not sure why the surface has so much texture to it, should be smooth like underneath that paint. It looks to me almost like some sort of body filler has been used.

On the paint I use alkyd enamel, Van Sickle industrial paint and primers.The finish is super durable with these type of paints especially when used with catalyst hardener.

Pabs311

Cadet
I would try to get that down to bare AL, not sure why the surface has so much texture to it, should be smooth like underneath that paint. It looks to me almost like some sort of body filler has been used.

On the paint I use alkyd enamel, Van Sickle industrial paint and primers.The finish is super durable with these type of paints especially when used with catalyst hardener.

It looks like they used a heavy nap roller when applying some of the paint and left it slightly textured like a wall in a house.

pckeen

Commander
Having stripped a boat with multiple layers of paint....which looks like what you have....I would tackle that with a wire wheel. It ended up being the best way to get the paint off. Just be careful, especially around rivet heads.