Transducer whoos' 21islander

tkat1000

Cadet
in the process of outfitting my new to me 1974 islander for great lakes salmon, and having a hard time finding a sweet spot for my soner transducer` I've tried just about all the existing holes having been drilled over the years. not surprisingly some even match the install guidelines, but there just doesn't seem to be an area where the rivets and strakes don't create turbulence

​where it's positioned now 1 3/4 in. lower the hull , on the furthest rung out to the side. i get somewhat of a usable but cluttered return at trolling speeds. depth only at crusing speed and pretty impressive roaster tail.​

anyone with this style hull please share some insight.

hummingbird helix 7 gps/di

Attachments

• 20160520_180616.jpg
    20160520_180616.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The current location isn't even close to where it should be. We can't see much in the pic, but what's wrong with mounting it on the plastic strip that was put there for that purpose.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I agree the transducer should be mounted on that plate, inside of the strake. Try tipping the transducer just a little bit to give it an angle with the leading edge being the end that's tipped up. See if that helps if not try moving it and the tipping.

Off of that topic did you notice that the trailer bunk has been torn off the top of that inside bolster and the bottom of the hull is sitting on the end of the steel bolster?

fetch

tkat1000

Cadet
yes I've ran that transduce all over the transom. that's the only somewhat useable spot. this is not the first tinnie I've had. usually have no problem mounting sonars. this guy is just bucking me. even slapped it on my 16' mirrowcraft just to make sure it functions good and proper.

.Wattermann, thanks for the heads up. had to go take a look all puckered up WHOO but its fine.
that is just an illuision of the camera lens. that bunk is on a tilt angle. the distance from the trailer cross bars is approx. 4 foot. giving it a bad picture angle.

I've had that dude all over that plate, up down all around. in and out of the rivet streams along the strakes. nothen but a cluttered screen. hull surface doesn.t even have any dents along the trip back.

I'm thinking I need to fab a 3-4 in. standoff to move it out from that double rivet edge

Last edited:

tkat1000

Cadet
ondarvr, yep doesn't belong hanging out there for the first twig that goes by and sweep that whole shabang right off. I much prefer that its mounted as close to the leg as possible with a clean signal

this is where it should be. just to much turbulence

Attachments

• 20160514_180347.jpg
    20160514_180347.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
Try running your fishfinder off of a portable 12 v battery with nothing else attached. Sounds like electrical interference vs. a hull problem.