Aluminum boats - How does the floor join to the hull at the edges?

SoCalBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First post! This is an amazing community. I feel ready to tackle some rebuild projects. But first I need to get a boat! I'm looking at old aluminum Starcrafts. It seems fairly common to replace the floor.

I went and looked at an early '80s SS and the guy had just replaced the floor. He covered the plywood with some nice vinyl. However, at the edges of the floor, where it should meet the sides of the boat, there was just a 1/2" gap all the way around with the vinyl rolled over the edge. I've looked at lots of floor replacement threads here, and while there are lots of pics of the plywood after putting the new floor in, I can't see how the final trim is done so that the floor is made to butt up against the inner wall of the boat. I'm guessing there is something like baseboard that you put all the way around.

Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
From the consoles to the transom, the deck to hull joint is usually covered by a vertical side panel that has a channel riveted to the deck and the side panel attaches to that channel.

Under a closed bow a small gap is ok, on a bow rider, the bow U shaped seat covers the gap.

Under the splashwell (OB models) or beneath the doghouse/rear deck (I/O models), along the transom, a slight gap is good. Water that lands on the vinyl will roll to the stern while underway. A gap allows 100% of the water at the transom to go below decks, where a bilge pump should pump it overboard.

A 1/2in gap after wrapping the vinyl over the edge sounds like a fairly big gap. If you could see the gap, it either didnt come w side panels (you didnt specify year or model) or whoever did the deck didnt want to take the time to cut and fit a smaller gap.

Some roll the vinyl up onto the hull sides to keep water, hooks, debris and etc outta the bilge. Others wrap the vinyl over the deck's edge and fasten it to the underside of the deck. This allows water to run off the deck everywhere and again, below decks to the bilge. Same as the gap at the transom would, but all along the hull sides/deck joint.

SoCal? Plan to boat in the Salt or briny bays? Special attention is needed to use an aluminum boat in the salt. ESP if moored for extended periods.

:welcome: to iboats, tin-sanity division

Last edited:

SoCalBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So it's OK for any water on the deck to roll off the edges? Doesn't that get the foam underneath wet? I guess that's why it is advised to use closed cell foam.

This boat was a 1983 SS 160. The guy did really nice work. It did have side panels, but this gap was up under the side consoles. Here is a pic - the vinyl at the edge is just sort of flying in the air. http://imgur.com/wb0BdXP

And yes, I will be taking it out in the salt about 50% of the time. I plan on fully washing and flushing after each trip. It will be trailered back and forth, not moored. Not up to that level yet!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
All foam used in a boat is closed cell, open cell foam is also called a sponge.

The gap is normal, might be a bit wide (I didn't look), but nothing to worry about. Most aluminum boats just allow the water to drain under the deck, the problem with alumuinum boats and two part foam is that water collects between the foam and hull and causes a great deal of corrosion.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I wouldn't expect to see a gap. I reinstalled mine just as original. I allowed the extra scrap edge of the flooring to curve upward hidden behind the wall against the hull. Any water on the floor must run to the stern to get to the bilge. - Grandad

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just looked at your pic, hard to tell, but looks normal. Many boats just use a small trim piece for cosmetic purposes.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm not seeing a 1/2" gap and flapping vinyl in the pic you posted, looks pretty tight to me actually.

Welcome aboard!

wb0BdXP.jpg