Rare Model?

Pi Man

Cadet
Are there any other 1987 SS181 boats out there? I would be interested in seeing others' boats. I am having a hard time finding much info on this model/year Starcraft and it seems to me that it would have been a common boat back in it's day.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
No it's not even close to being rare, the SS is one of the most prolific boats that Starcraft has made from 16' to 22'. The changes to the SS are not by the year rather the decade with the exception of the V5 models. An 88 would look exactly the same as an 87 with the differences being power options ie: I/O configs of OMC, Mercruiser or an outboard option.

Here's an 88 one of the members is working on here... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...0-johonson-120

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Can't forget astor's 87 SS.
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

To:
FullSizeRender%201.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good thing the sun isn't out to look at Astor's SSSS - Super Shiny Super Sport. :D

dozerII

Admiral
:welcome: PI man, I checked out your photo, great looking SS you bought, OMC drive units are not our favorites but at least yours is a Cobra, and has some parts support. Make sure your shifting is very smooth otherwise it will need adjustment or you will damage the out/drive. The guys in the engine forum under OMC are a great help.

Pi Man

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome and replies. One of the things I was looking at were the gauges, where mine are square and others are all round. Being an old boat, as you probably know, there are electrical faux - pas that I would like to repair. I don't actually see any SS181 models any where with those gauges.

Watermann

Yeah so now you have to post some pics of those gauges, never have seen a square analog gauge before.

Pi Man

Cadet
OK so here is a partial for now of the day I picked it up. 20160306_114213.jpg I can get clearer/better pics later today.

Watermann

OK so here is a partial for now of the day I picked it up. I can get clearer/better pics later today.

fetch

Super cool retro/futuristic gauges, I hope the still work! I still have never seen square gauges in a Starcraft but I did have similar digital gauges in a S10 Blazer years ago.

Pi Man

Cadet
I am still checking on the working or not, some do, others don't. I have to find out whether it is the gauges or the senders, or both. This is why I would like to find someone with the same set.
(My wife had the same model S10 I think:))

North Beach

Commander
I recall seeing some used gauges just like these on eBay when I was working on the LL. These could have been swapped out by the PO?

Pi Man

Cadet
Possibly, but I have seen photos of one or two others that are the same. I have seen the set on ebay and they are identical right down to the Starcraft logo on the panel.

Pi Man

Cadet
So I finally got the boat in the water. I love it by the way.
All the gauges work except the trim gauge, which I know isn't hooked up.
Put in new steering cable and shift cable and away we go. Now just need to get time off at the same time as the wife to do some fishing!noluck3.JPG