New to me 1977 SUS 18 I/O

Hangar3

Cadet
77SSsml.jpg SUS18.jpg

Picked up a new to me 1977 SUS 18 I/O which I guess means Super Sport ? It's pretty well complete and the Merc 140 runs but I'm going to do the TLC thing to her as she has been neglected, somewhat. Side panels and engine bulkhead need to be replaced do to some de-lam. Wood portions (both starboard and port) of dash need to be replaced (some rot in corners) and carpet replaced. Good news is the floor appears intact and serviceable and the previous owner had all the seats etc. redone a couple of years ago. I will add some pictures once I reach the requisite 3 posts. I do have a question in the mean time. I have found the merc info for the engine / outdrive here on iboats and also bought a used manual off ebay for same. I was wondering about wiring diagrams for the Starcrafts as I would like to verify and return all the instrumentation wiring etc. to original during the dash refit. Thanks in advance and thanks for a great forum with so many inspiring rebuilds of these great boats.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to iboats

Its an SUS? Not an SS? Aluminum or fiberglass?

Engine bulkhead? The transom?

Not likely to find Starcraft wiring diagrams, boats are fairly generic. When the time comes, a generic wiring diagram will be plenty

Good luck w your project.

I'd be very cautious of new seats etc on original decks (floor) make sure its not overlaid.

Look around, lots of great resources in the topics posted here.

Hangar3

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome !

The manufacturer / CG plate says "SUS 18 I/O" and I'm not sure about the Starcraft model designation but she is a walk-thru, open bow, I/O and is aluminum. The bulkhead I'm talking about is the short plywood divider that sits in front of the engine and spans the width of the hull.

Hangar3

Cadet
Also, the seats look to be original design, ie boxes with a sort of lift and slide out to make a back to back seat into a flat platform,,, if that makes sense. I think I get what your saying, no way a pedestal type seat should go on the original floor / deck. This was never overlaid but I still don't think it's strong enough for a pedestal type seat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thats the transom if the I/O bolts thru it.

I dont recall another SUS, but it may have been an odd designation Starcraft used.

Hangar3

Cadet
Thats the transom if the I/O bolts thru it.

I dont recall another SUS, but it may have been an odd designation Starcraft used.

I'm not describing it correctly. It is not the aluminum skinned transom that the I/O bolts through, it is forward of the engine and separates the engine compartment from the passenger area of the boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Doghouse typically covers the engine in an I/O, that can be remade

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Hangar.

We've had other SUS model names. I think Starcraft just changed how they designated some models over the years. The brochures still call the '77's SS'es and they are tin.

The seats are called back to back lounge seats or sleeper seats. Can you get a pic of the bulkhead you're talking about?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada Hangar,

The SUS is what's on the SS cap plate of that era, it's an SS. You've got a ton of work to do before needing to worry about the wiring and console work. Trust me most guys start thinking about things they're months away from when they stare inside from the gunnels. :lol:

If you plan on going with the motor the boat has now then I would get it running first off as there's nothing worse than putting it back in and having to pull it again. The Mercruiser forum will be your new best friend. :D

Hangar3

Cadet
Doghouse typically covers the engine in an I/O, that can be remade

Dog house is intact and nicely reupholstered a couple of years ago. When you fold the doghouse forward (from the open position) this is the short (11") bulkhead that the doghouse lands on. I'll have to supply a picture.

Hangar3

Cadet
:welcome: to the Starmada Hangar,

The SUS is what's on the SS cap plate of that era, it's an SS. You've got a ton of work to do before needing to worry about the wiring and console work. Trust me most guys start thinking about things they're months away from when they stare inside from the gunnels. :lol:

If you plan on going with the motor the boat has now then I would get it running first off as there's nothing worse than putting it back in and having to pull it again. The Mercruiser forum will be your new best friend. :D

Thanks for the Starmada Welcome !

The motor is running great. Already did a fuel system clean out, including pulling the tank and changing filters, oil change, tune up with new plugs, points etc., lower unit complete service and oil change. Yes, the boys over at the merc section were quite a help. I have a sheet of Mahogany Marine Ply coming in for the bulkhead, side panels and dash components. They accepted my first born along with some cash in payment, yikes, that stuff is pricey. Also, have the new carpet coming in later this week. This will not be a complete rebuild, more like a limited, TLC refurb.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome Hangar3 :welcome:

Good Lookin' Rig!

Be warned, these old rigs are like onions once you start peeling away the layers...and you start asking us for our opinions :lol:

The mob rarely recommends anything other than an extensive tear-down to get a full assessment of the hull's condition...starting with the transom; does the wood appear original? If so, it may "feel" solid but it weakens over time & usually harbors nasty transom skin corrosion.

Hangar3

Cadet
Welcome Hangar3 :welcome:

Good Lookin' Rig!

Be warned, these old rigs are like onions once you start peeling away the layers...and you start asking us for our opinions :lol:

The mob rarely recommends anything other than an extensive tear-down to get a full assessment of the hull's condition...starting with the transom; does the wood appear original? If so, it may "feel" solid but it weakens over time & usually harbors nasty transom skin corrosion.

Good advice ! I will look it over very carefully as I have the bulkhead and side panels out right now and access is about as easy as it is going to get, short of pulling the I/O.

Watermann

Yeah what CC said is so true, it always seems like they "only need" until you start digging in especially the ones close to 40 years old. If you want to be sure about the transom remove the transom cap to inspect the wood. If the transom wood has the original cruddy white wash on it then you can expect it to not be servicable for continued use.

Decker83

Commander
Great looking SS you have.. I look forward in seeing some more pics..
I have the same SS as yours..
Welcome to the madness Hangar3..:welcome:

Hangar3

Cadet
Great looking SS you have.. I look forward in seeing some more pics..
I have the same SS as yours..
Welcome to the madness Hangar3..:welcome:

Decker, Thanks ! I have been admiring your project. You guys are masters of peer pressure... ;-)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Decker, Thanks ! I have been admiring your project. You guys are masters of peer pressure... ;-)

Peer pressure. Hangar? As individuals we are kind and gentle souls. But when the Starmada Mob gathers, look out. :D

Starmada-101.JPG

Hangar3

Cadet
No Title

OK, to answer an earlier question and then to ask a couple more.
The bulkhead I referred to earlier is shown here after rebuild. The rebuilt dash with aluminum overlay. The new mahogany side panels (ply-core) and dash panels (solid mahogany) and new carpet can be seen. The StarTrim and Ignition panels that I have questions about is also depicted.

So my panel questions are: 1. Does anybody have a picture of the backside of the StarTrim panel so I can sort out that wiring that is giving me problems. ( Trim works up and down and trim limit sender is doing it's job, I just can't get the trim out to function although I can jump the limit sender and get it to come up into trailer position) I have several of the wiring diagrams from Mercruiser but the addition of the lights makes the wiring more involved and confusing. A picture of that wiring would do me wonders. 2. The Nartron Buzzlite 49877 that is apparently used for oil pressure was junk. (Light socket guts torn out by PO) Anybody know where to get a replacement or an alternative ?

I stay inspired by the Starmada and will continue the refit of this cool ol' boat.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me on my panel issues

Attachments

• photo242870.jpg
    photo242870.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242871.jpg
    photo242871.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242872.jpg
    photo242872.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242873.jpg
    photo242873.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Way more guys with that era of MC are in the MC forum, you'll for certain get some guys that are in the know to answer up. The only thing I can think of for the trailer up switch is that it's somehow not bypassed from the limit switch wiring.

Super nice looking SS you have there, love the I/O's just not all troubles they sometimes present.