Some good stuff happening

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I think I saw in one video where a guy used a heat gun to soften the conduit and changed the angle that way.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't have much experience using PVC. I worked for an electrical supply for 20 years and have done a lot of electrical work side jobs. Some that needed inspections and some that didn't.

jbcurt00

Staff member
We used a heat blanket several times over the summer to 'adjust' grey electrical conduit, but never 2in, IIRC 1in was the largest.

How far is it between the meter panel and the sweep up to the garage?

If you put 3 10ft pcs of 2in conduit together, it'll sag a little.

A heat blanket wraps the pipe and insulates it some so it takes less time then a heat gun will, if you can even get a 2in conduit hot enough w a gun over a wide(ish) length of pipe, all the way around.

Ouch, $200 for an up to 1.5in conduit blanket
$(KGrHqNHJE!FGv1CVnp1BRugucQvwQ~~60_1.JPG

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
It's about 25 feet from the meter panel up to the garage.

$200? Ouch is right!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
We put duct tape over each end of the conduit to keep the heat in and even until it bends like a licorice whip. Even made some monster sweeps in a full size section of conduit where it needed to make a 90. Used a weed burner to heat it fast. :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We put duct tape over each end of the conduit to keep the heat in and even until it bends like a licorice whip. Even made some monster sweeps in a full size section of conduit where it needed to make a 90. Used a weed burner to heat it fast. :lol:
Ah, good ol' duct tape! I'll use that tip. Thanks! :thumb:

And I've definitely decided to use pool noodles as the warning barrier on top of the buried conduit, along with the warning tape. It's the easiest, cheapest way to go and the noodles won't biodegrade over time. :lol:

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a buddy who is a master electrician, he helped me with the run from the house to the shop (150') I built in '06. He brought out his "weed torch" for heating the conduit around a couple bends in the trench. Key was to heat it just "enough". Mine was an experiment for him back then, he still does it that way today.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
It sounds like I need to rent or borrow one of those weed torches. Can't see buying one for a one-time use.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Filling the pipe w sand helps bend it uniformly w no kinks....... and would help w heat retention until its ready to bend.....

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
The one he had then was a Harbor Freight unit run off of a grill tank., I think they are about $30 or so without a coupon, so with a 20% off it would be fairly cheap. Just gotta be careful and watch the amount of heat you put to it. We practiced on a scrap piece first, I remember it turned it pretty "noodly" in a hurry.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Are you planning to bend the pipe or the elbows? You could steam them.
I'm not sure which to bend but it seems reasonable that making a small angular change on the elbows would be easiest.

Mmmm... steamed elbow noodles! :lol:

The one he had then was a Harbor Freight unit run off of a grill tank., I think they are about $30 or so without a coupon, so with a 20% off it would be fairly cheap. Just gotta be careful and watch the amount of heat you put to it. We practiced on a scrap piece first, I remember it turned it pretty "noodly" in a hurry.
Thanks for the tip. I checked those out online and at 3,000 degrees it sure would make them noodly in a hurry! :eek:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
A bad news, good news update.

The bad news - yesterday I had another GCA relapse and spent most of the day in the ER and hospital. Made some med changes and will continue to monitor closely. Ugh. :grumpy:

The good news - the concrete guys got here this morning and set up the forms for my concrete pour! Hoping for inspection tomorrow and the pour is scheduled for 2 days after that. Happy, happy, joy, joy! :lol:

Lotsa pix from today's work. Those guys were really nice and helped me get the remaining stuff out of the garage, including moving that 50HP Mercury. Sweet! :cool:

They sure had some neat machines to help get the work done. :eagerness:

And there's not much room left in the old shed. Glad nothing's left in the garage! Dunno where I'll put everything in the new garage after the concrete's in place and I have to give the old shed to my buddy. :noidea:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sorry to hear about your relapse :blue: but it doe look like you're about ready for some mud.:joyous: