Some good stuff happening

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the support, guys! Much appreciated! Keeps me motivated. :joyous:

The only thing I did to improve my garage/workshop today was to install this little Bluetooth adapter on my old Pioneer receiver. Worked great! Now I can listen to my phone tunes without having to plug cables into the receiver and then leave the phone on the table nearby. Now I can keep it in my pocket or up on the boat with me or whatnot.

It was great working out there this afternoon. Temp outdoors was just 45 degrees but inside the garage it was a very pleasant 62. Windows and doors were closed and the sun warmed it up nicely in there! :)

BY Adapter.jpg

You're on your way. The steel shelving unit comes with particle board shelves. If it's the same as the ones I have. With a little humidity they just started to bow and mold up like crazy. I replaced them with 1/2 or 3/8 plywood. Whatever the thickness of the old shelves were and painted them with oil prime then gloss oil paint. No more problems. You could also just hit them with poly once or twice to protect. I imagine you'll be dealing with a bit of humidity down your way.
Hmmm... I wonder if I could just paint the new shelves with Kilz oil based primer and some nice oil paint as a defense against humidity?

Yeahh... we get a little down here. :lol:

florida-humidity.jpg

You're fighting the good fight to keep things tidy, never give up or all will be lost!
Thank you sir! I keep watching out for that slippery slope! Don't want to end up with a grungy place like the Bose speaker seller has! :laugh:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You could prime and paint for sure. I liked the oil paint for durability. Lots of scraping going on with shelves. Mine has held up great for at least 5 years. Prob. More like 7

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
You could prime and paint for sure. I liked the oil paint for durability. Lots of scraping going on with shelves. Mine has held up great for at least 5 years. Prob. More like 7
Cool! :encouragement:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great idea JB. I did mine before even thinking about boats. The shelves took several days to dry. Hardener would be the way I'd go.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
In spite of some bad flu bugs going around which affected my health, I did get a few things done in the garage over the last week.

Almost 10 years ago a neighbor gave me this old floodlight. It's just been sitting around unused since then. Thought I'd see if I could get it working to provide at least some light inside the garage at night. It's rated for a 300 Watt halogen bulb and I think that's what's in there now.

Took a little doing but it worked out as a temporary measure anyway. I still need to figure out where/how I want to mount it inside. Don't want to do anything seriously permanent, but at least get it up high.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Got it cleaned up, rewired and working. Had to use an old extension cord to provide a plug.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Let there be light!
7.jpg

Shining it around inside, it can definitely cast a shadow.
9.jpg

1.jpg

12.jpg

8.jpg

And I also mounted the lift handle which I'd purloined from the Kingfisher. Now I can pull the steel cabinet around without a fuss. The cabinet is loaded with power drills, grinders and other heavy equipment. Should make it easy to roll that stuff around once I get the concrete poured.

1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Removed the wooden bookcase and hauled it and a pile of other stuff off to the dump. Finally. :rolleyes:

As I was moving stuff from that old wooden bookcase and onto the wire frame cubbies, I had a problem. When I placed something on the 2nd lowest shelf, the top cubby came apart (in spite of being zip tied) and the Bose speaker sitting on the top came tumbling down! :eek: Fortunately, no damage. Whew! But the decision became clear... those wire cubbies will have to go. Free or not, they just don't work for anything heavier than a bag of marshmallows or something!

And the new storage shelf unit arrived. Got it assembled quickly using just a rubber mallet. I really like the hammered look finish! :encouragement:

I'll be using some of the leftover Porch Paint that I used on the Kingfisher deck to cover the particle board shelves. Later. :lol:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice. I have the same shelves but I just got the dull grey. Didn't have the option of hammered finish.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Once you get the shelves loaded w stuff, you're not likely to paint 'em... paint them now while they arent full and the particle board isnt contaminated....

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The particle board will also bow in the middle if it gets damp and has heavy objects on it. Ask me how I know.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Very nice. I have the same shelves but I just got the dull grey. Didn't have the option of hammered finish.
I didn't even know the unit was going to have a hammered finish until I opened the box. I like it a lot though. Gives an industrial look. :)

Once you get the shelves loaded w stuff, you're not likely to paint 'em... paint them now while they arent full and the particle board isnt contaminated....
Duly noted and action taken!

I just now went out there and shot a quick coat of primer on one shelf. Will get as much done as I can with the leftovers before buying more paint. Will skip the hardener this time because I'm just not sure how long the particle board shelves will last. Even though they're only 12"x30" on this unit, they're also only 3/8" thick. No doubt in the future I'll have to upgrade to plywood, so will do the hardener bit at that time.

1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
On my way home from a doc appt today I picked up this used shelf for 15 bucks. Particle boards are bowed and punky, one was replaced with plywood and also needs attention. But the price was good enough.

Took a pic after I plopped it into the truck. It was well after dark by the time I got home so more pix tomorrow. I believe it's 18 inches deep by 48 inches wide but will measure everything in the morning.

Got a "suggestion" 13.gif from my wife to please stop! searching for workbenches, shelving, tool storage, organizers, lighting and other miscellaneous garage stuff. Said she wants me to save ALL my pennies for the concrete! Said SHE is looking forward to us getting it done ASAP! :eek: :faint2:
shelf.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
They 'just' know stuff sometimes. I should probably listen more often.....

Drive by some comstruction sites, I cant even imagine how many pieces of ply I've tossed that you could get a 12X30 piece out of. Simply not big enough to save for the project at hand.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Making some progress today.

Getting primed...
1.jpg

And getting painted...
2.jpg

Just waiting for paint to dry now, then we can do the flip sides.

Sooo... if I take an old, bowed, beat up and stained particle board shelf and clean it, paint it and turn the bowed side up, does that count as new? :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Oh yeah, the "new" 15 dollar storage shelf measures 18" x 36" x 66" so won't be over sized for my application in the garage. :)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Must be nice working inside an unheated garage and being able to paint. :smow:

Of course I wouldn't have any bugs to worry about flying into the fresh paint. :lol:

Decker83

Commander
My wife is always keeping me straight.. Glad I have her here..
Shelves or looking good.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Must be nice working inside an unheated garage and being able to paint. :smow:

Of course I wouldn't have any bugs to worry about flying into the fresh paint. :lol:
Yeah, I was just telling my wife how I'm lovin' being able to work out there without being blasted by the sun and heat like what happened almost 2 years ago when we were refurbishing the Kingfisher. Shade, fans, tunes, tools at hand and so on really make it much better. And the boy just pointed out that not having to put a tarp over the boat is also a bonus! And it's only going to get better as time goes by and I continue improving the new building. ;)

Actually, this time of year is "relatively" bug free. The majority seem to hibernate this time of year. Yes, there are some, but it's nothing compared to full tilt summertime! And of course, I keep the birds around here really happy and they pay me back by gobbling up tons of the little critters.

My wife is always keeping me straight.. Glad I have her here..
Shelves or looking good.
Yah, my wife is nice to have around. Most of the time. :lol: :joyous: