Some good stuff happening

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Have fun on the water and stay clear of those snap-a-gators!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Dirt delivery today!

Rained heavily yesterday and rained again this afternoon, but the construction company finally got the dirt here. No problem at all with truck ingress and egress. Contacted my buddy and he will try to get it leveled for me this weekend, but no promises.

With the rain, we may not be able to go fishing this weekend. I'm feeling much better though! Haven't needed a pain pill for a couple days. I'm nowhere near my normal health levels but still much better overall. I'm actually starting to get bored and tired of sitting around all the time! :lol:

dirtdelivery1.jpg

dirtdelivery2.jpg

dirtpile.jpg

Watermann

Man I hate to say this but you guys have some ugly dirt down there. :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
No yard work, no boat work and no fishing today. Grumble, grumble... :mad-new:

Watermann

and no sprinklers on running up your water bill! Only bright side I could come up with. It was 90 here with a breeze and fluffy floating high clouds. The dog days of summer are here fr a few more weeks. :tan:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Had my post-op exam this afternoon. No problems found! Whew. :happy:

So I don't need a follow-up surgery in 2 months as previously planned. Good news, that! :eagerness:

I go back for a regular exam again in October.

On the shelter front, nothing to report. The rains have prevented us from getting things done, plus my bud is busy on those rare occasions when the sun does come out. It's aggravating! I'm still feeling pretty good and am eager to get back to work. Heck, yesterday I was able to carry a 50 lb. bag of cracked corn (for the birds) from the truck into the house. It was only 100 feet or so but hey, just a month ago I was barely able to walk! :crutch:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
A little "Grazing in the Grass" work in the yard today. Getting the tractor ready for sale.

Note the grass. Where the tractor is sitting now, just a few weeks ago was a tree island and empty sand! It's greening up out there.

But the pile of dirt that I recently had delivered is still sitting there untouched. My buddy hasn't had time to do any grading work but he did do some work on both tractors for me, so that was helpful. Really looking forward to when the grading gets done so that I can get going on compacting, laying sod and whatnot.

Am getting really, really eager to get out there and work on the boats! After my fishing trip in the Kingfisher last week, I found a couple items that really need to be changed on that little boat soon.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Progress!

The last load of dirt was delivered 4 weeks ago yesterday. But who's counting? :lol:

My buddy finally had time to come over this evening and move the dirt, then he graded and leveled everything. First he brought over his big Massey loader and moved stuff around, then went and got his small Massey to do the finish grading.

Still more work to do, but progress is being made!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Some significantly big stuff going on here!

Gonna keep me busy all day but I'll get plenty of pix and videos that I can post up once finished. :encouragement:

Watermann

Oh awesome! So when will she let you move her car out so you can bring a boat inside? :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Okay guys, I have time to update.

I started this project a year ago. My original plan was to have the project completed by the end of 2015. Obviously didn't happen.

First, I started gathering funds. Then I had to research about steel buildings, permit requirements, land clearing requirements and burn permit requirements.

Then later in the fall I got sick, but carried on.

Continued my research and planning as well as funding but then I got sidetracked a little when I bought the Chieftain! :lol:

Then I got really, really sick and couldn't do much of anything for months. :crutch: :puke:

But I continued to plan and fund.

And in the spring I was fully funded (again) and ready to get going on the yard work a little... but got sidetracked by purchasing an engine for the Chieftain! :laugh:

But in April of this year I was finally able to get started with the land clearing. Mind you, I was mostly only supervising and drinking coffee, but it was getting done!

Then I got sidetracked with having to install a new well pump at my place. :blue:

Through the summer we made progress and on Labor Day weekend the final land clearing and preparation was completed.

Time to actually order delivery of the building! At that point I found out that due to heavy rains during the summer that the building company was backed up and there would be another delay. Fine. :mad: But they called in the first week of October to set delivery.

Then hurricane Matthew came and caused another delay! :facepalm:

But it finally happened this week and I am positively thrilled to have a great place to work on project boats and whatnot!

However! Even though this building is usable as is, and I've already pulled the Kingfisher inside and started working on it, this steel building project is not yet fully completed.

Many things remain to be done, such as:

Install a workbench.
Install shelving and storage units.
Install sod around the building to protect the dirt from erosion.
Install a concrete floor.
Install electricity throughout the building.
Install overhead lighting.
Install ceiling fans (3 or 4.)
Install window air conditioners. (2)
Install spray-in foam insulation. (My research indicates this is best for steel buildings.)

And I think my wife said something about hanging curtains or something. :pound:

All of this will take more time and money, so stay tuned and thanks for all the great support! :yo:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Here are a few concept pix I put together over the last year or so.

Site Plan11.jpg

Slide1.JPG
garage interior.jpg

garage interior10.jpg

garage interior15.jpg

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Site Plan11.jpg
    Site Plan11.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Site Plan11.jpg
    Site Plan11.jpg
  • Site Plan11.jpg
    Site Plan11.jpg

Watermann

Everything planned and mapped out right down to the admirals parking spot. Looks like solid plan to me and the concrete floor is going to be the big expense and most needed addition.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Everything planned and mapped out right down to the admirals parking spot. Looks like solid plan to me and the concrete floor is going to be the big expense and most needed addition.
You're absolutely right about the concrete being the most important next step. Had an estimate done way back in April but the final actual building is a different size and shape. Contacted that concrete guy this morning and he'll get back with me soon for an updated estimate.

Then I'll have to start saving my pennies again! :lol:

Sod will be the second most important step. Might be able to get that done in November because it's cheaper. Can't let all that hard work just wash away in a rain storm. ;)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The concrete guy came over this morning and gave me a good, "solid" estimate. :pound:

He's backed up right now and he won't be able to get it done until sometime after the New Year but that's fine with me. Gives me more time to save my pennies.

The slab will be 4" thick and will be poured inside the garage with a 6' apron out from each end. I have to excavate a couple inches of sand out, including under the frame and for both aprons. The concrete will be pushed under the building frame, giving some added strength and stability. And since it will be poured around the the ground anchors as well, it should further enhance the building's wind resistance.

garage concrete plan.jpg