75 18' Chieftain OB Treasure in the woods.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I got a "for real" rivet gun and some rivet sets on Ebay, but lots of guys seem do it great with a pneumatic hammer from Harbor and homemade sets. Sort of depends on what you want to do in the future since you won't be doing that many on this project and you pay a lot more for a feathering trigger. Riveting solids is ....well....riveting. You'll like it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yowza! That's some of the worst pitting I've seen in a long time, bone head people and their PT ply. :facepalm:

fetch

Watermann

On the solid riveting, I've had some experience with it to the tune of a few hundred. All I use is a air hammer and I adjust the line pressure so it's not getting 120 psi. I just hit the trigger as I turn the air down and as soon as it starts to sound a bit lazy I ease it back up just a bit.

I got a brazier head 3/16" rivet set for my set up and a real bucking bar that has the different size flats on it. Be sure to suggest to the bar buddy that he wear gloves as there's quite a bit of vibration and sometimes 5200 . :lol:

On the rivets, I use the alloy ones that have the dimple in the center of the head, 2117T alloy. Length depends on how many layers and thickness. If you're going to rivet the backer plate onto the transom and use 1/8" plate and the transom thickness is .100 you could use 3/8" length as I believe 7/16" is the next size up and I use those for 3 layers. There's a fine line you walk with solid rivet length, you don't want them too long.

sm722-700x700.jpg

12-02688.jpg

MARUSS

Seaman
Thanks for the rivet info guys. Looking forward to another lesson in tinny repair 101.

MARUSS

Seaman
No Title

Just a quick update.

​Rain, rain, and more rain.

The only thing I've been doing is looking for deals on parts that I know I need to purchase. I'm pretty excited about my most recent purchase its an outboard bracket with a 6' platform made of aluminum, powder coated, and the specs are all right. It was like a needle in a haystack finding this. It definitely changes everything with the Chief. I'm going to be getting rid of the splash well and raising the transom to full height to get more room in the boat. It should be close to 2' extra room. I'll know when I start piecing everything back together.
Just about everything I've read about these brackets has been pretty positive. I got a great deal on this thing, so good I couldn't pass it up about 1/3 of the cost from the same company that makes it. I would like to hear different opinions from you guys pros and conns.
Thanks.
Russ

Attachments

• photo243223.jpg
    photo243223.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243224.jpg
    photo243224.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0

MARUSS

Seaman
Well, it's been a while since I've updated this post.
The pressure treated decking and transom with it sitting for 7 years full of water just ate it to the bone.
Too many thin spots and holes eaten out of the hull and transom on this old girl.
I've come to the sad realization that this old girl will not be resurrected by me.
I want to thank everyone who tagged along for the sort ride on this restore project as this chapter has to come to an end.
On a good note I've been looking for another Chieftain in need for restoration. They are out there and I have my eye on a couple.
Thanks again,
Russ

Watermann

Man that's a bummer another one ruined and sent to an early grave by PT ply. Maybe some of the parts can be salvaged for those who need them.

MARUSS

Seaman
As soon as I know what I don't need I'll donate parts for a good cause.
I was on Craigs list and noticed a guy had an old Holiday for sale he just restored with PT decking and transom.
I can't count the people offering me advice to use PT in my boats. "It will last forever" If they only new.
I do know one thing if I ever see PT in another aluminum boat I want to buy I'm going to run away as fast as I can.
The only good thing I can say I don't really have any $$ invested just time tearing her down. The stuff I did buy will be used.
That transom bracket I bought was way too big to fit on the back, I sold that and made a chunk of change so not all was lost.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I'm very sorry to hear that Russ. I had a bit of PT on the outer transom skin and it had holed the skin. The over decking that the PO had put in was PT, but it had only been in long enough to cause some minor pitting in the bilge. I also see bragging about PT repairs on the local CL. Sad...

Keep an open mind about what to do next. I think that the Holidays were the same hull in some years, so if your topside metal is good, you might be able to do a headdress transplant. Starchief's and chieftains do seem to come up fairly frequently in New England though. Stay positive.

Ron

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Hey man....you gave it the old senior try. Good luck finding another one! With fall approaching, it will soon be a buyer's market :cool: :thumb:

MARUSS

Seaman
I'm talking with 2 guys now 1 with outboard and 1 with an I/O.
Just going to check for PT high and low. Gonna bring my sneakers just in case.

Watermann

Keeping fingers crossed that nobody else has killed another SC with PT.

pckeen

Commander
Sad to hear, but with a bad hull, it is not worth restoring. Strip off the headdress, bow cover, and transom brackets, plus any usable parts and sell them on ebay.

MARUSS

Seaman
I tore her down to bare hull when I started this project. Going to keep everything until I know I don't need anything.
Good idea though.
Thanks