Cherry condition 1974 Startcraft 16 foor Super Sport - upgrades

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
Recently I acquired a 1974 Starcraft Super Sport with a Mercury 500 (50hp) from a relative for a dollar. I know this boat was one owner and I actually learned to water ski behind this very same boat. Because it was always stored indoors, after 42 year this boat is still in very good condition and the hull has no dents, scrapes whatsoever, but it needs to be updated to the 21st century. I have some ideas, but if anyone out there that has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I will post photos soon.

Here are a few of my concerns...
1. The motor looks showroom new. It started right up but no tell tale water output. I rebuilt the water pump and when reassemble, it worked for a few minutes, but the water slowly slopped flowing out the tell tale. However, warm water was felt coming out above the cavitation plate. I'm guessing all the water that enters the engine is not passed out the tell tale and that is it's own tap circuit off the engine block. I am wondering where the bulk of cooling water goes after circulating the engine?
My suspicion is that the old water pump impeller, which was completely destroyed had sent pieces of its fins up into the engine where they rattle around and eventually find the tell tale water path and clog the small opening. I've blown air into the tell tale hole and I can here air coming out down near the water pump. I'll try running it again today. Any advice on this is welcome.

2. The floor. I'm a much bigger guy these days pushing three bills, so I worry about the floor decking. I've seen old camper floor start sagging and the floor does seem bad at all, but I am thinking about adding a 1/4 or 1/2 inch plywood and carpeting. Good idea or bad?

3. The seats. They are ion good condition but they are too low for my liking, about 8 or 9 inches off the floor. I am wondering if anyone has installed pedestal seats in a super sport and what is the best height. I see a lot of seats on eBay, but not sure what type of pedestal would work best.

4. Electronics. The nav lights work, but it has a old bulky Lawrence sonar unit from the 1980's. I just ordered a new Lawrence Elite 5 HDI Combo unit that was closeout priced at $300 to replace it. Anyone interested in the old unit? I'm adding a Pyle stereo with weather band and four speakers. I'm also going to run water proof LED rope lights the length of the boat, the 16 foot lights fit perfectly under the gunwale as indirect lighting. The hosrn shot so I picked up a nice 9" electric trumpet horn on eBay, I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it.

5. Retiring the rag top. Again, being a big guy, there's no point keeping the 42 year old rag top, as it's way too low for my 6'4" height. Again, this could be sold to anyone interested. It's in considerably good shape. I'll likely replace it with a Bimini top I saw on Amazon for about $150.

6. Bow rails. I like them and they are in showroom condition, but they make it impossible to install a trolling motor. I'm using this boat primarily for fishing, so I'm investigating any workarounds before I am forced to remove them. Again, I'd consider selling the bow rails if removed.

7. Paint. I'd really like to nix the old sky blue color. The hull needs no paint as it looks like it was recently painted (found out it was) but that blue has got to go...any paint type suggestions...I'm not a painter.

That's about it. I'll be working on her today, testing the cooling and installing the stereo and lights. Any comments suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome!

Two things;
We need to see pictures, we love 'em.

Please don't try to sell in the forums.

Carry on and let's see this lady.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard wrunner,

Sounds like you have a nice little SS, yeah pics would be great!

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
Photos

1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-001.jpg 1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-003.jpg 1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-004.jpg

1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-004.jpg

Attachments

• 1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-003.jpg
    1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-003.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 7

Watermann

All original condition with shine too boot! Super :thumb:

fetch

GA_Boater

She's a looker! I wish we all found 'em like that.

On the motor, water does come out of the slots above the AV plate - Normal. Water should also be exiting the motor through the prop and there should be a mist out of the idle relief ports, which are below the handle on back. The reliefs are two rectangular ports on mine, yours may have a different shape being a newer motor.

Did you run the motor very long? The tell tale could take some time to become a steady flow.

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
Right? Not a bad deal for a dollar. I love the classic looks. I haven't even started cleaning it yet. This is considered dirty. Just order a bimini top to replace the old low top.

GA: I'll go start it back up. The water came out a little bit at first, but then stopped, I'll check those exhaust area. I have a raytek non contact temperature gun, maybe I'll run it for a while and watch the block temp. I keep blowing it out with a compressor after each try. The water pump is brand new...could I have not lined up the exit tube on the pump housing? (I actually double checked that) if it wasn't lined up I'd probably get no water at all.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
:welcome:wrunner, awesome 16SS you stole there:D If you do a google search for boat handrail bullet end fitting you will find a real nice way to finish off the tube end of your bow rail if you cut it off about 2-3 inches in front to the forward mount on each side, will give you lots of room for a bow mount. Iboats sells them but there is no picture for reference.
As far as the cooling problem, you may have to dig into the thermostat and lower cooling tube to get the missing hunks of rubber out, be very care full that motor doesn't over heat I believe it is one piece cylinders and head and they crack very easy.:eek:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Yeeeow! She's in beautiful condition!!!! :love_heart:

Un-hacked SS's are becoming very rare.

Does it still have the Jetson stern light...and is the lens purple?

Thanks for sharing!

I'm not a merc guy but I believe that warm water is the thermostat output...you may be right, chunk of impeller is clogging up the works. GaB will chime back in on that one. :thumb:

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
I just went out and fired it up again. In idle, I only see water coming out the port right above the cavitation plate as pointed out in the photos above and below. However, once I went into forward and gave it some gas and exceed about 1000 to 1200 rpm, the water started coming out of the tell tale hose quite steadily. the faster the rpm, of course the more water came out.

There is absolutely NO water coming out of the idle relief ports, at any rpm, just a little exhaust smoke. It appears there is water coming out of the prop too.
I used my high tech temperature measuring device (my hand) and after running a few minutes, the block was still cool to the touch, hardly even warm.

Who knows what dried up crap is inside there, maybe after a few tanks of gas it will clean itself out. I know one of the last trips on this boat was on a lake that was full of algae and weeds.

My thought is that if I submerge the entire lower unit as it would be in a lake, it will work just fine. Can't help but be a but paranoid when I know this motor has sat for a few years (5 or 6 at least) without running. I'll stay close to the dock at first.

A full water test is in order...hopefully they put the docks in on the Fox river.

Here's some pics...

1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-006.jpg 1974-startcraft-super-sport-sjh-005.jpg

Last edited:

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
classiccat - I hope to keep it unhacked, but I think adding some modern stuff like recessed LED lighting, stereo and such will not ruin the classic feel. The seats may have to go in favor of pedestals tho.

dozer - that's for that tip! I think I saw another SS with that mod. For now I have the electric trolling motor on the stern.

Last edited:

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I'm not sure if there is anything stuck inside the engine block. I would think they engineer the cooling system so that the intake is a bit smaller than the exhaust, so any particles, weeds, algae fish poop, whatever that is sucked in can easily pass thru the block. I've never torn one of these motors apart, but I can image how it must work. I always thought that the water that was pumped in, all came out the tell tale, but I'm guessing that us just a tap at the top of the block to verify that the block is full of water. It's possible at lower rpm that the block just is not filling all the way. I hope I'm understanding this properly. See diagram. Arrow thickness represents port size. Where's a motor expert when ya need one? lol

Attachments

• photo240521.jpg
    photo240521.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

classiccat

hey wrunner, it's your boat so mod it up as you see fit...literally. I just felt that it's my civic duty / obligation to express what a gem you have there...that way down the road, you're not mad at us for not insisting that you keep the sawzall :)eek:) at a safe distance at all times! :lol:

I forgot about the change in "pee-stream" pressure when running on muffs compared to submerging the leg.

On my old 3cyl 'Rude, I've learned to troubleshoot the cooling circuit (minus the t-stat) by dropping the LU & hooking a garden hose -up to the water intake pipe (link; I had some leak issues to contend with :facepalm:). Neighbors probably like that m.o. as well.

GA_Boater

Before ya go on the Big Splash, pick a slow day at the ramp and back her down until the lower unit is submerged. Fire it up and watch the tell tale and in a few short minutes you will know if it's launch or go home.

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to all..I'm hoping to get her in the water tomorrow. they just opened the ramps here and the water is very high, so it should be easy to just back her in for a test. I'm thinking she'll do fine. That motor ran great all these years, no reason to stop now.

Classiccat: too late, I already started hacking up the passenger side dash for a stereo, switch panel and aux power panel. It will look great. Gotta have tunes on the water! That will be the extent of the hacking. :)
Oh, and yes it has a Jetson stern light, but the more modern looking version.

Last edited:

Watermann

Not having proper water flow would make me crazy and with what you're saying I would start to think that something is wrong if the water doesn't spew from the tell tale at an idle. It seems as though the water pump isn't pumping enough water at an idle. You're turning the water at the faucet all the way on right? Do you have the muffs that use a double water inlet or just one side? If there isn't enough water the pump will lose it's prime, they have to be submerged under water or have a lot of water flow from the hose. The water won't spit out of the exhaust relief ports without there being back pressure from the LU being under water.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Seats.....

Id not go pedestals but rather build a box to set existing on to raise it up if that was is you main goal .

Nice looking ride.

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Got her out on the water yesterday, with the lower unit fully submerged it worked great. Ran it up to full speed up and down the river. About 26mph. Not bad!
Too late on the pedestal seat. I installed one already and it works great. I'll keep the old seats up in the attic in case I ever decide to bring it back to original. For now though, she's gonna be a working fishing boat. I'll likely convert the passenger side to a long seat height lockable storage box.

Attachments

• photo240678.jpg
    photo240678.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 9

classiccat

Got her out on the water yesterday, with the lower unit fully submerged it worked great. Ran it up to full speed up and down the river. About 26mph. Not bad!
Too late on the pedestal seat. I installed one already and it works great. I'll keep the old seats up in the attic in case I ever decide to bring it back to original. For now though, she's gonna be a working fishing boat. I'll likely convert the passenger side to a long seat height lockable storage box.

It doesn't get much cooler than that now does it!:cool:

fetch

Watermann

Sure is nice to see another old SS out making a wake!