'71 Starcraft Sprint V15 RestoMod

natemeins

Seaman
Next day, my buddy and I drove to Grand Lake in Oklahoma and picked up his new boat. What a looker! A 2015 Chaparral Vortex 203 with a 250hp Rotax powered jet drive. This boat makes older jet boats look and run ridiculously. This is a helluva boat! You can even surf behind it! Anyway to commemorate his new boat, mine being "finished", and the start of Spring, we went to a friend's dock to have our own Polar Bear Plunge.

Tied up at the dock, I switched on the transom light. Sucker is BRIGHT!

Last edited:

natemeins

Seaman
Being the nerds we are, we came up with names for our boats. These are not actual photos, just renderings. Hope to have the placards soon.
So with that I'm calling this project complete. I hope y'all enjoy the pics. I sure enjoyed the journey, but glad it's done and am looking forward to Summer when we can get out and play!

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Great work on the old Sprint Nate, she really looks awesome out there on the water! :thumb:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Is it too early to submit SOTY nominations? :noidea: :lol:

Incredible job on the rebuild; a lot of ingenuity & creativity that will benefit other builds going forward. ?perhaps even motivate someone to modify their existing rebuild. :cool:

That?s what we?re all about!

I wouldn?t doubt that subconsciously you were looking for a tow-vehicle ($$$$) that matched your tinnie ($) :lol:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Fantastic job. You should be very proud of your innovation and attention to detail. The best part is that we don't have to wait a year or two for the results of a long rebuild on the installment plan.

natemeins

Seaman
No Title

Added the final touches over the weekend with the name and berthing port and added a rod tower. Took my pup and my dad out fishing and had some good luck! First time my dad has seen the boat since September. Needless to say he was shocked.

While we were out, saw a boat that caught my eye on a lift on a slip near War Eagle. Got closer and sure enough it was a Starcraft! If I had to guess maybe 18 footer, had what I thought was a 70hp merc (physically it looked too small), railing on the bow so I guessed a bow rider, 3 piece windshield, khaki color with a brown stripe. Couldn't tell what it was and my dumb butt didn't photograph it. Any ideas?

Also wanted to ask a question: primarily I made this thread so that the next Sprint owner has something I didn't, really; and that's reference to someone else doing the job. Is there a way I can add or a moderator can add this project to the project thread? I'd be much appreciated.

And thanks everyone for the compliments, suggestions, comments, and SOTY mention (haha!). Really enjoy being a part of this group!

Attachments

• photo241121.jpeg
    photo241121.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo241122.jpeg
    photo241122.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo241123.jpeg
    photo241123.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo241124.jpeg
    photo241124.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo241125.jpeg
    photo241125.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good! Sounds like you came across an SS, normally the 16'rs have the 70 hp motor.

Nice size paper mouth you got there!

natemeins

Seaman
Looking good! Sounds like you came across an SS, normally the 16'rs have the 70 hp motor.
Nice size paper mouth you got there!

Thanks, Watermann. Told my dad I thought it was either an SS or a Holiday. It looked 100% original, was definitely aluminum, and in pretty darn good shape! Until now I've not seen or heard of another Starcraft in this area. That merc was weird, tho. It was quite small looking for 70 hp, and looked positively small on that boat. Still cool find. If I'm that way again soon I'll take a pic. Perhaps it's owner is here somewhere. If I do decide to sell this one and get another it would be the perfect size.

Yeah the spawn here has been a bit late but it seems like it's in full swing! Caught 5 crappie near the end of the trip, 4 of the 5 were at least 13", minimum size here is 10". I love to troll this part of the river for crappie, walleye, the occasional wayward bass...pretty much whatever decides to take a nibble. The crappie here have always been very healthy in looks and size.

Tnstratofam

Commander
What an amazing rebuild. You did an outstanding job. I really like everything about your rebuild. Nice colors and the snap in carpet is a great idea. Definitely a worthy candidate for SOTY.:encouragement:

May The Force Be With You.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Nate, Wow. Fantastic job and documentation. Please send bribe for vote money. Just kidding. But you can send donations.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Nice job on all the work. I love the way it turned out!

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Dude I read through you build progress you did an excellent job. Your boat came out looking awesome and sounds like it is standing up well. I was just wondering if you remember where you picked up your swim platform I like that whole idea you did with the platform and step on splash would like to incorporate in to my build. Can you send me a pm with the info.