1970 Holiday 18ft Beginning rehab for fishing boat

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts. It provides drinking water for Boston and is comprised of multiple small towns that were seized by eminent domain back in the day and flooded to make up the reservoir. They limit the horsepower to 20 hp 2 stroke or a whopping 25 hp 4 stroke.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts. It provides drinking water for Boston and is comprised of multiple small towns that were seized by eminent domain back in the day and flooded to make up the reservoir. They limit the horsepower to 20 hp 2 stroke or a whopping 25 hp 4 stroke.

Oh well I guess that would be a big no for me to go cruising then :grumpy:

MARUSS

Seaman
Fished on the banks myself, never in a boat. It's a beautiful area.

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
I believe if you remove your prop and run a kicker, they allow that. Not sure though, it's been a while. They do actually inspect your boat and trailer for a fee and then place a seal on the boat and trailer. If the seal is broken you have to pay the fee again. They are trying to control the invasive plants, etc from spreading into the reservoir...can you tell it's massachusetts!

dozerII

Admiral
I believe if you remove your prop and run a kicker, they allow that. Not sure though, it's been a while. They do actually inspect your boat and trailer for a fee and then place a seal on the boat and trailer. If the seal is broken you have to pay the fee again. They are trying to control the invasive plants, etc from spreading into the reservoir...can you tell it's massachusetts!

Not just Ma. up here in Canada at commercial weigh scales between provinces there are mandatory boat inspections to ensure there no invasive spieces crossing borders.

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
Finally after 2 weeks of rainy weather we've had some solid sunny dry days to get some primer and paint moving. I ended up stripping the entire hull and power washing it. It was pretty beat up with a ton of dings, dents and gouges...I didn't bother with them.

Tough job getting all this off...

2 coats of self etching primer and almost done with one side...roll&tip with rustoleum

The middle badge and top 1/4's will be forest green

Watermann

Man my hats off to ya for doing that job outside in the dirt and bugs with a roller. My OCD would kick in big time when the first big bug landed and waddled through the fresh paint. :lol:

One good thing is that you have lots of light outside. Looking pretty darn good so far!

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
You're exactly right...I had to give up on the bugs...I'm going to name her the May Flyer! I read on someone else's post about the 5' rule....I can stand back 5' and say it looks good, but it has alot of sagging and bug deposits rolled in. It's still a thousand times better than she was when I got her though!

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
I figure they'll attract more trout and salmon!

Any suggestions on applying a second coat...should I just use a brush or do I roll & tip it all for a second time?

Watermann

I'm a HVLP sprayer guy because I suck at rollers / brushes so I'm no help there. :tape2:

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't help there either, everything I touch with a roller or brush ends up looking like crap. I will have runs, orange peal, brush marks, poor coverage etc. I've seen amazing paint jobs done with them though. Just not from me. I can't even paint a house without it looking like a 2yr old did it. Everything I paint is done with my old school Binks gun, I still haven't stepped up to HVLP.

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
I'm thinking of grabbing a suction spray gun for my air compressor from hf or HD...are the inexpensive ones worth it?

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure which one you're talking about, bottom cup ? From what I've used of the cheap guns I usually only use them for primer as the quality of the spray pattern can be hit and miss. Top coat I've always used my Binks, but that was a $200 gun, back in the '80s. It's also been for auto paint but I would imagine any other paint thinned right would be about the same.