The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks for stopping by fellas, I'm back from my week long elk hunting trip, all I got this time was to see some nice scenery. :grumpy:

y4mwvJPCnvIOLTqdMSQr3qbn4Oy6Avf5yWrricOkdtifaYjpVEHu1xXEqe3tZLzntqPwvAws7-9hR5MebS-sfuCDrjS5z7krNS06J3_5rH2exjKnJz5HMiKtO5m9g1Uy3ldIyujgku2aGn2Km_OdRxzXjs4Hy4ArpqTNL50J-knquDI3K3bcdI1CRy3D3U-ij1ARWPitBf27Z6qSoZi-9Cjiw

It looks very happy to be inside! I only wish I could do the same with mine :)

I like how you've got your main wheels on casters. Does it move easily enough? How do you like the setup the way you have it?

The wheel dollies work pretty well, makes it easy to position the boat close to the wall. I really have no complaints about the setup of the boat, everything is to my liking and worked well walleye/bass fishing.

Watermann, what an awesome job you did on that boat. I just got done spending a couple hours reading your entire thread.

I bought a 1976 18' SS with the Mercruiser 140 a couple of months ago, and I need to go through all of it. I completely rebuilt the trailer and had it hot dipped galvanized. Now for the long part, the boat itself.

Your thread has given me the inspiration that I think I will need.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my work and the kind words. I'll be looking forward to your rebuild thread.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's better scenery than I will see next month on my deer hunting trip! NICE!!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Thanks for stopping by fellas, I'm back from my week long elk hunting trip, all I got this time was to see some nice scenery. :grumpy:

y4mwvJPCnvIOLTqdMSQr3qbn4Oy6Avf5yWrricOkdtifaYjpVEHu1xXEqe3tZLzntqPwvAws7-9hR5MebS-sfuCDrjS5z7krNS06J3_5rH2exjKnJz5HMiKtO5m9g1Uy3ldIyujgku2aGn2Km_OdRxzXjs4Hy4ArpqTNL50J-knquDI3K3bcdI1CRy3D3U-ij1ARWPitBf27Z6qSoZi-9Cjiw

The wheel dollies work pretty well, makes it easy to position the boat close to the wall. I really have no complaints about the setup of the boat, everything is to my liking and worked well walleye/bass fishing.

Oh sorry WM, I meant how did you like the dolly setup. Your fishing setup is definitely killer! I've had many frustrating parking situations with boats, and your dollies are looking really slick right now. Thanks for all the tips along the way. You've really done a nice job from A-Z

Watermann

All hooked up to the old Chevy and ready to go after being inside the garage since September 2017. It's nice to get the SS out in some early spring sun.

After a close inspection pre-season I found a small 3/8" crack in the trailer frame by the tongue that needed welded, got that done and the boat is ready for it's first 2018 pre-spawn walleye fishing. Also had some minor motor work to do and after a run on the hose she's ready to head out in the morning to Banks Lake.

Ticks me off that the gray cover after being in the sun for a couple months last summer turned purple. :grumpy:

Hope to have some on the water pics with some fish tomorrow, you know just to give some motivation to those working so hard on their SC boats right now. :happy:

If nothing else some good time relaxing on the water.

y4mj475-tREFoCAoqxJLtNl5wqLYWKWkeywHQLqleQahvyQkyj-WRQy2mafU6dotBUy373FJtl02w10OCxf9LE4IGmkss0vz9OzQtBC_dQyaWVoV2QVWqwceYcDAO8N3ge071H26pvd70aqIoSXi6VJkHRGpGEn_E3uS9Y5PQJ-2S8XAT_CzKjAIzLu9K3iYmu5vcy92DtsnIleJ8_a1WPHnw

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
SS is looking sweeter than ever there Agua!

Nice find on the trailer damage... you stopped ol' Murphy in his tracks right there! :thumb:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Oh man, if you need a cabin boy I will be there in a new york minute to learn your ways. I really need to learn how to walleye and bass fish. :)

Decker83

Commander
She still looks sweet coming out of her slumber.. Good luck on the fishing trip..
That is strange the cover turned purple like that..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Congrats on getting the V5 back out of hibernation! Looking forward to Walleye pix. :)

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The boat looks great.

What are all those waves in the driveway? You're not in the water yet.

Catch some of those walleye. I need to learn how to fish those.

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The SS is still looking good! I have early Walleye fever myself. I hope to go in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to see some picks of some nice walleyes! ;)

Watermann

It got cold last night, the launch was solid ice where the trailers were pulling out so nothing but a 4 wheel drive would get back up the launch.

Water was slick and nice, the sun came up bright. The fish were there but we couldn't get them to bite and neither could anyone else, even the guides.

y4mpQNrjbdiaREyJhbrpISd_eBqSUt_hfplDRmrzYjLtV_L6qX5f_eZj60zV8NTvyysrp4DaHedVZ2VekUkvDqwcjQwZquL08MNK_ZY6lVP96lgRWSz_JSJ5JWZIo1ecFpHNms76P5A6OSGB-R8JA7HymY5hkV-9MdlTAL8xMY363_PS8vnVaD6z5qS0diuuUqffQfATeO5CzpS_DJdcNURRA

y4mVSNlwMGDUPIs4Fie9jVjaaVUKawzSX1ADyU_paqjXcuXdaX  pGuezbYzFNkCKreaYc2riNANMUY5ygpEiwsEPl5uDnFE710rwc  au-aH5aLGPivFmVvyGZAfrmCvxy92-Ilqrik5ahAXDXeDXvm912B2iJJ0cAgf3XW2UQaRni2RkRh8IKb  iUSwIc-ai6onAIJjdi9XmvCnRgULEvE48NVSw

y4mVSNlwMGDUPIs4Fie9jVjaaVUKawzSX1ADyU_paqjXcuXdaXpGuezbYzFNkCKreaYc2riNANMUY5ygpEiwsEPl5uDnFE710rwcau-aH5aLGPivFmVvyGZAfrmCvxy92-Ilqrik5ahAXDXeDXvm912B2iJJ0cAgf3XW2UQaRni2RkRh8IKbiUSwIc-ai6onAIJjdi9XmvCnRgULEvE48NVSw

It really hurt seeing the fish and so many of them but no matter what we tried the walleye just wouldn't bite, only the perch were active and chewing on our crawler every now and then.

y4mVeo13SxY7XcGZSRKSr8MIoEUNGPxxtWVolUpDgnLzTq6wVQvH5w_D2BjpGtGijutaaB9gsYlpo0CT5ZQ6JFLRXCmCPxgIhfWPdcvAUvn23UYzq4uo8pz0ChmlCLig_t2nK-H5vsG81HAC1pI3DRBd77KWoUqquuCGmIdv-3jtE4p2kyEbYk89uXJkZkAETcJVoLxf2PE0bdOphhPXUNmLA

Did I mention that it was cold this morning?

Last edited:

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
No scratches from the ice I hope! That sounds terrible! Too bad the fish didn’t cooperate. Where you dragging crawler harnesses?

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh boy that is awesome. I am very jealous. I could go walleye fishing tomorrow but I'd need an extension for my ice auger. Ice here is still 3'+ thick on the lakes

Watermann

No scratches from the ice I hope! That sounds terrible! Too bad the fish didn’t cooperate. Where you dragging crawler harnesses?

Not a scratch one, the bottom wasn't painted or the bow that was breaking the ice and what made it up to the painted sides didn't do anything to the paint.. It was a horrible sound alright. nothing quite like it..

Yeah we drug all manner of walleye spinner rigs in different colors. Another source of hurt was at the launch the guides had cleaned their fish the day before leaving a huge mess of walleye carcasses on the bottom. Should've been here yesterday was the phrase of the day.

Oh yeah and we got checked by game wardens, they drove their boat around and past a dozen other boats just o get to us. :confused: All they got to check was fishing licenses and safety equipment.

Pusher

Lieutenant
It's wierd how they single out a boat from the pack that way.

Nice morning chill :) looks like a good day on the water.

Last edited: