The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
She really looks nice, great job Watermann. Were you on your laptop on the back porch? Brrr, no thank you. I like to iboat in the warm.

SCStarcraft

Cadet
Starting to look like a boat again and not just an old tin tub. :lol:

IMAG2612.jpg

Looking better than new. Terrific work, WM.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Looking great, and I know practice makes perfect for you. I like that hull side filler. Mine is on the gunwale and is a combined filler and vent. I get a lot of fumes out of the vent and yours would help a lot to keep that away from the inside of the boat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good there Watermann. Looks like you may have more snow there than us.

At least you're progressing.

Thanks for stopping by Ted, yeah that was our first little taste of winter.

Looks sweet!

Thank ya much ez.

You can keep the snow there in your area, I don't want any here...ha ha ha...no really! Good luck getting the windows all back in, hope it goes easy. My lower window is still fighting back, one of the small bottom track bolts is shorter than all the others and I can't get the washer and nut on. Looks like I will be pulling it back out.

I hate fighting with windows, makes me super nervous and I love the seasons but not the no boating season,,, it sucks.

Very nice

Thanks John.

Beautiful work as always, WM! :thumb:

Thanks for pulling up to my snowy dry dock, hope your weather in Florida is nice. :lol:

Looking better than new. Terrific work, WM.

That's a lofty goal we all have. Thanks!

You are making her look mighty fine Rob, I bet your glad it wasn't one of those curved center windshield that was broken:eek:

Thanks Glen, yeah the curved glass yikes, so I think kids broke that one window out, the big curved glass has some pock marks on the inside where the rocks hit but didn't break the glass. Tough to get damage from rocks on the inside of a windshield going down the road.

Looking great, and I know practice makes perfect for you. I like that hull side filler. Mine is on the gunwale and is a combined filler and vent. I get a lot of fumes out of the vent and yours would help a lot to keep that away from the inside of the boat.

Thanks, I wasn't too sure about that filler set up at first but I think it'll work out.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just an old fishin' boat, huh? :lol:

She's gonna make a nice splash, WM.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann,

Very nice work.
Looking forward to pics of the splash.

Dan

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
That is one sic lookin beauty you have goin on H2O! Some might wait a year to splash so they dont have to compete against her haha.

Watermann

So I've got an issue with the windshield when doing some adjustments to the center folder. The consoles are squared up, the WS's on each side are adjusted to the same height with the support. Top of center opening is 15.25 and the bottom is 15.65 almost a half an inch difference. The center WS opens and closes hitting on the marks where it was originally used for years and I see the wear lines match up but it's all wonky in my world.

The center WS hinge is very sloppy and I think I can tighten it up but there's almost a 1/2" height difference when it's closed and that is crazy as the top of the P & S windshields are the exact same height. I know it has to do with the WS's and being out of wack. Only thing I can think of is to loosen the mounting bolts apply torque to the WS frame and cinch it down once more square. Any other ideas how to align the top and bottom of the opening?

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
If you loosen the bottom most centerline mounting bolts, but not the outboard front bottom mounts or the side mounts and move the bottom inside front corners aft, will that help? It should twist the windshield only at the bottom. Hopefully not too badly, but I bet it doesn't need much. Or I could be completely misunderstanding what is wrong.

Watermann

Yeah I tried everything, only thing that would take wonk out was to add a shim under the port console leg. I cut some AL strips, glued them together and then wrapped the shim in Nautolex, can't really see the shim but it sure did straighten out the problem.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I adjusted mine more back and forth and with rake angle to get rid of misadjustments. the height of the windshield bars can screw up alignments.

Watermann

The bottom edge of the center WS's frame was wore down from rubbing the console when closed and the top was almost a 1/2" lower on the starboard side top. With the shim to raise the port side console up the WS is aligned at the top and doesn't hit the console now. The WS had been way off it's entire previous life but now it's all better at least I think so.

The seam on the right where the windows meet is now even top to bottom.

y4mre1Qevzn_Qiq7LrqvtNr9AR4vbdcHAdQeNA8NZfNx9AoDJJqp1AsZI3RXRfr1E7HFgclljPR8q82ZMRSPntVoe2BTdwdaBdqSNT3CyBu7hDxgtJwcd0usLSKI28gVPtoDv5DPSlaHxhYQnYLw2XT4GvdChHNk12xCAsKRBHuuEvCLYlJK0rPWlkQIC1Ve5TjbOpVCN6GBDUZffxhk1-EQw

The shim is tough to see and doesn't raise the port side enough for the eye to pick it up.

y4mP-cAMcvDFqYwP2FKI4-MWPFYMfUhaDN98RGhV_3JZNCcwkmtrt7getYl3OEvY-JHoU8_FvO-TaK1lifl3uJaI7daGLuRIhDbM24LZzxAmqwbYFIcppFn4iu6zN0bspaqrKDnn6jsF4NK0XoxmfoikXpR9RmXTDoYzSP-AJiZ5Baoxkg48cjhcjCCBVRPb1iBLdDfG0N47WhEe4IrT7ZAzw

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Glad you found a solution. I wouldn't mind that shim in the least in my boat

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Shim - What shim?

Wrapping it makes it almost invisible unless you're looking for it. Nice recovery :)smile:), WM.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Excellent solution. I wouldn't be able to pick out the shim. Everything is looking great in my opinion! :encouragement: