The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for that Ratchet idea! I just made a purchase for a pair from "amazon" for $ 63.74. The stainless are going for $103.66. Wish I would have known about these earlier. Thanks again.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I like the painted transom. Is the spar varnish over the paint to protect it? And with the side brackets you will fabricate, will they tie into the splash well in addition to the hull sides? That will be very solid and makes a difference in my early Chief with the full width well..

Ron

The V5 has no Z bracket at the bottom or side brackets the transom wood just it bolted onto the transom skin and the double knee braces. The side brackets will bolt onto the transom but everything comes together as the gunnels have a support bracket that ties into the transom and the SW bolts onto the knee braces.

The transom on my SN could be seen so I primed and painted the wood and then just used spar to add another layer of protection. It turned out really looking good like a chocolate pool with the brown paint I used. I just continued doing it that way after that.

Last edited:

Watermann

Busy work today included touching up some nicks on the trailer paint, cutting the AL for the side transom brackets, 'home plate' motor pad and finished sealing up the transom wood. It sure is nice and easy to cut that AL with the table saw rather than that screwy jig saw, straight even cuts in 1/4 the time.

Last coat of spar drying... exciting stuff there

y4m7Ji55enAR8LJ7fGZT06HkXRXUXN6_XXEI0f8XVgDc2_eCWV0CLqj2mhM_dZp588zQffKstQdDY364PSG05elx_zY3Zdt-U1giYR6KLhNK5GC0opDkqppHbrMAeIEqyK_lyUdiAHNEdt2j16o_TAzdqhAGjt7jY2e0cm1-DBsovvPKNJcSa-QqEiBvkwUvAUc0rmu82XMJKkm0DFel2YS0Q

Motor pad plate back buttered with 5200 and set in place. 5200 curing, more excitement... :lol:

I did find out a less messy way to use 5200 though. I keep the pelican poo corked up with a bolt and taped over inside my garage fridge. I take it out and wait until it's 50 degrees so I can spread it and it's very manageable to spread then rather than being runny and drippy. By the time you get it on there and it's warmed up, it's too late for a huge mess. Notice the nice squeeze out bead, I didn't even have to tape off, just a towel soaked with xylene to clean it up.

y4muvvMTHPeg6WshYRseyU5uLNvLWPR6oqphnyUs7_Adamlx62hqmyQyKUOFYOHnqh-fI_Ks5LOOMMxfh7INur6rUGXTYXnqycK9XuBzQPnptJpjEH0uHaKBEPmxkycULv-QN3egugwzhcC0X0hzynrPy6U4PijPAT0TSOn_NYnT1tLKdruiu9snXzUlPK-JEv_XuHFxUTzNskWWLIIdjPfYA

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander
That looks like about 1/4 in aluminum you used on the motor plate, good idea, that's what I did on my V5.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Congrats on the progress and thanks for the 5200 tip. That is some messy stuff. My son and I wore it for a few days last year.

Watermann

Got the transom put in today after fishing most of the day. A tip to remember for the transom insertion to keep it from getting gouged and scratched up. I can't stress enough using a cut up empty milk jug or window washer jug as a buffer. I taped the plastic to the super tight knee braces because they ate a good chunk out of the wood when I test fit and drilled holes. It slid in so easy it was amazing and not one scratch.

y4mLO9ac6GoOstmUfcjoivh54FKaC8FmBTvIGCltE0w_6D-JBSVhgDM4cylu9RaNDNKMkhgQDGFVuyvLRcRoyBRSUGIysnrlwoV5ebQfct6yeoVNvIVOLe-j9JmS07iH-wkJLGZSfv4q807Lb1Wy5D10i7lDt6W41U2OxR29jeoxol6TshCE_5GpTuYx0Ovc6GdVafACqNY53Diz9W0iTHYag

My 2 best buddies and I take off a week every May to go fishing together every day of the week on a different lake. So far we went to a smallmouth lake and a largemouth lake, tomorrow a panfish lake. Here's a little proof for you, I've not done too bad on the bass so far.

y4miKGIIOK2EI2iV5K15bW2uEYEKK27jXvXzenY9t66Uzl01fKPvXUK1nnWNR_4sVvHyiWTXUHJ65p3csN0dmRweRdlGpRzrVLUnl9uSeWNuVT4JgOu8L8KSj1qKFIc5wO73cuUI58k-sxeRUkNv2JUQPy2-syO4qH6OtXLrjANG24EhD5oruN1aySJxcQrMyYnTO-81kPIh_Hmrgd3hK9VtA

y4mVk3wAiNKev8EJz8w3FaBqAeVeTV9yRdaPzACDdHFBUxGZd4kGKI9Er-pF9gBkcKFrbKCwTazbzkb6HVshAfSOvSKfQnlld5U2ZT6VulT79nEYdyh3F4HACL5saOV9IjkrVrWuwqQhBSdsK_Rl0RoRYPKLEaV3DfOGFJhePPGe2Q6yY7w4KawBhysKoH_l3OTjvHh1IitJzQiZXjXzZBbgQ

Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Transom looks great Rob and so do those bass. Sure wish I lived further south, we had wet snow over the weekend.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome looking transom, I'm betting that it will outlast the factory one by a few years, nice catch, can't wait to see what the other 5 lakes produce for ya.

dozerII

Admiral
Transom looks great Rob, awesome fish too. Our fishing season opened on the 5th, and it's either been raining or blowing gale force winds since:eek:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Holy smokes that's a big Larry! :eek: Are you in Florida? :lol:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You do nice work at both. Keep it up.

Congratulations.

Watermann

Thanks for taking a look gents I really do appreciate it.

Sunny and mid 80's here today, wish I could push some of it towards you Glen. We caught a couple hundred panfish this morning bringing home around 70 of them. We fish 5 days straight and then have a fish fry on the weekend.

Trouble struck my Johnny on the SN, got the parts coming but they won't be here until tomorrow afternoon. Intermittent loss of spark and then it was completely gone. Ah the fun of having old stuff from the 70's... :grumpy:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I know that look and pose real well. It is usually followed by " What have you drug home now? "

Hope no kitchen utensils came sailing your way waterman.:brick:

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Transoms look solid and sealed well. Never realized you fella's grew bass like that out west. We will be taking our annual camping trip chasing bass this weekend. Saturday is the opener.