The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Rob - Did you change something in Photobucket? Post 127 and another post after it are showing PB Ooops notes about the links. I saw all the pics earlier today.

Can you JB or MarineTex the pits and reform the bare areas again. I haven't used a rust reformer.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nope nothing was changed, I see all of my PB pics are dead though and I can't even get into PB right now. I'm guessing they will all come back if not... that would suck!

Watermann

Hey Rob - Did you change something in Photobucket? Post 127 and another post after it are showing PB Ooops notes about the links. I saw all the pics earlier today.

Can you JB or MarineTex the pits and reform the bare areas again. I haven't used a rust reformer.

Glad all the pics in my threads came back!

I didn't want to start in trying to restore this trailer into a show piece, afraid I'd be working on it still when fall hits. So today I bit the bullet and bought paint and catalyst hardener. I had used rusto's rusty metal primer over the rust reformer so I had a good base primer. Figured I better shoot some paint on it now and just cover some of the ugly before I start doing any body work and sanding. Should have the painting done tomorrow just in time for the bolster brackets to arrive and the new hubs. Hopefully I can hold off on my urge to finish it and not mess with things until the paint cures a few days.

Once I get it flipped and the final top coat on I'll snap some pics, it just looks like a frame at the moment with all the pieces and parts scattered around. It's not the easiest but that's the best way to do rusty trailer work though,tear it down to parts, clean, paint and put it all back together.

Decker83

Commander
Trailer looks great.. Good luck with the painting..
Looking forward for more pics..

Watermann

Yeah Decker not much pic worthy at the moment, lot's of grunt work going on but it's things like filling transom pits & attachment holes, unwanted gunnel holes and sanding them smooth. You know the drill, it's not nearly as glamorous as other accomplishments. I'm also sanding the sides to get rid of some of the dock rash that are scratches with some having a sharp piece at the end that was gouged out by steel. Still not even one dent in the sides of this ole gal, they're all on the bottom where they don't really matter to me. :rolleyes:

I'm sanding the sides too as to knock off all that super smooth AL that doesn't hold onto paint very well. Using 220 on a finish sander and a DA for the rough stuff. I know you spit and polish guys cringe at the thought of roughing up smooth AL. :lol:

Oh and the paint is turning out real nice so far on the trailer frame and parts.

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Hey, another awesome project that you're not half-assing (ahem....like me). You know what you've got and it's the hull we all wish we had. A SFM conversion is perfect for this hull and I know you'll do a great job. Congrats on the tin score from North North America. It's looking great so far.

I'm not sure if you've measured or if you already posted it but what's the beam of this boat? It looks nice and wide.

Watermann

Hey, another awesome project that you're not half-assing (ahem....like me). You know what you've got and it's the hull we all wish we had. A SFM conversion is perfect for this hull and I know you'll do a great job. Congrats on the tin score from North North America. It's looking great so far.

I'm not sure if you've measured or if you already posted it but what's the beam of this boat? It looks nice and wide.

Thanks Chem, yeah she's 80" across the beam with a substantial deadrise that should do well in rough water.

Brown truck stopped by today, new parts to include Gluvit, bunk bolsters and hubs so I can make that trailer mobile again. One more paint shoot left and I'm done with that hurdle at least. Looking forward to assembling the trailer and moving it out into the light of day to see if it looks good still. :lol:

Watermann

So I got my trailer parts, finished painting and went to the tractor store to buy new grade 5 nuts & bolts by the pound for the trailer reassembly. Come to find out I ordered the wrong dang leaf spring bushings... now I wait.

A few pics of the trailer progress. Paint curing and is dry to the touch from the last shoot yesterday morning, 2 quarts of tractor paint with catalyst hardener added. I know it's exciting to get a sneak peak at the newly reformed tetanus trailer isn't it?

y4mr1ifUFzCXg1Xt1FH2jawlI_hdphGStKWkZJX0WFHjM64OurcPuOrmnr_j7p4_LO1U5GsEjuEWbYzHeZb6IV3SusfQKYSl3ug-W2rj4CKyEXTzWVm0P8kkuNJz2GoRcGAVhti6e9wvh5SKbTpRjdCjHAvnBwoL7MQyALozwM-MjL8pSieappzMykS58t68njbZyjmWK1dbjg9HGPuRfbcVA

Here's the only bright spot the galvanized 3500# axle that now has brand new hubs and stainless steel real deal no knock off bearing buddies. I made sure the bras were on so as to not offend anyone. :lol: All set for when the bushings show up. Yeah I squeezed a boat ride in too!

y4mJ0nldIdhO6KcbJXpquAyb2Y8hYufbNrtSHIGhcxfh4b9om-gc8iZ-2MqJ0ItAW-Mxb2ve2yXwM3D0jduiwYkwkBD-XRvrPTWgTkPZxOlTVtjBqevwDka-d5slaMhf_6P9oxO90S_I4Sr-SoQRcN1GwhEhrEufFjVn6d3iLdLc5lnlA4INjMdtTWAwdBenp22dy8uOhN_a7p3K9zsq2exLw

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander
That trailer looks great awesome job Rob, going to be better than new, nice color, looks a lot better than the white.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lookin good ;) I like the color much better than white, it doesn't show dirt and crap so much. Sucks you gotta wait for the right parts though, hopefully they come quick.

Decker83

Commander
The trailer looks great.. Nice job on the painting.. Great job on the prep work..

Watermann

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at the trailer work guys. :yo:

I know there's not really a worse chore we have when doing these rebuilds but as we all know everything is riding on it when the rubber meets the road. I hope to get back on the SS soon and start making some more progress on it, I know there's a ton of work that lays ahead.

Looking forward to getting the tetanus trailer out of the hangar and I'll get some pics up of it when finished.

Watermann

Wheeled the tetanus trailer out of the hangar today to get some sun. It's finally a done deal except for the winch tower that I'll bolt on when the boat is on it. I might have to come up with a new nickname for it now though :lol:

y4m2A9B_mm6QopKRqW-MihmG3INqqpj2fNSYOklzw7O-6OaSPqwurtszi6SRQIAWFXLG_bVrhsAaDUv9hTPvw9upFX30AZeCsxiFiToNP0xjh0gmEI8lLKw00ngc74T6kFnRc1EysOEXjJfE_auXT27PF_AbotEPm8jRwxAE3EidBoJJv_BV0rSq_9bsWbBW3uuaXsQiDCKMPP5LjbaU1biNQ

y4mv22yN8errs07dKCk1M4n9eWnnenUizY7frpF0yOpxlTl64Br6lyE0_tQvRKzKcSXVdJwPafqeWHci12F3t660C907Lm5Fe0dqMBKlLbh5DhJ5MGbNKjWltJMxXENwaNXlkvlqmraxXvMEoctQeg4-JjWviTeFp5zTDVbXubIInFVHkB9jKbRwmuYVf_srm-8-Q_6s7z7gDuD1tmaQTWM6w

Last edited:

Watermann

New alloy wheels and ST215 x 14 tires, hubs, jack stand, LED tail lights, replaced every single nut/bolt and a 4 bunk set up.On the fender steps I used AL that has rusto bed liner on them and riveted down with LF SS rivets. One other thing left to install are the SS boat buckles, I had to fab up some brackets and the paint is drying on them now.

y4m0OQ8KG7eYANRYXHQyMqPpJ6CotOm7IsHTzRN0dxDkqoI5qKEZVMO4-MAHKLIt9OLLzCAgsrd5Sf_6juFH5xbMHPvWoRTnx_-HsiVniLWu4vGz3Y_f7snzh0N8Ae18nF5kMLBiAOaaCt_NdMBzwCKHV_xkbJzsVLTWLRr-nSejUYYbwRtKkfbWfynWdoZ1mkk8mftB0Vi4ljss3NjauVaiA

Some thoughts for guys who are doing bunk set ups. I used carriage bolts rather than lag screws as some guys have used. Drilled the 3/8" holes, counter sunk them and hit them with plenty of spar. 45 degree cut on the loading edge of the bunk board is a good idea. Put some adhesive around the bolt, not in the hole because the threads will get the glue on them and then tighten the carriage bolts into the counter sunk hole with a nut and washer. Let the bolts set up over night and you're ready to carpet them with the same glue on the bunks and SS staples. I also used the adhesive to fill the counter sunk holes with the bolt heads level and any cracks or knots with the adhesive so water won't sit in them.

y4mdww6p07iw_pNuP11q5t3eA8Ry1R2pbNc3VsibGp34UaWnk6ETTjbh3IoaoFgREIa30ta9hSIM5BdUJmYW9jdWayTZTdHlRgrwYb8t133l8gI8M6EMlcnb7uzfK1MyQsRUdm2Czxjlw-CKvrQwf_WqsNgOgYhDt6twHF2Yfb_pUj5uYxxIxF9OTfCbKDMUcnYVpzxMQ2X7KENWVV73V8iQw

y4moZfy7ZU3O9fl8i3gqogLhHgJx_wmCbTIr6P7_dabXpgcb0L9CuJ_af1D1WmYqptMr4HNDhcmh6vAuC0ACAjgoIU008BfaT49AWlmB5enU4kYqTmckihtq3mNmGqqBnoADQt0kU1ZwYTbc0h8oe0m1jU0nqEfo6w09AAILWZh5vKekC00o2Uc4DVyKYzfhfi8dlLvjWa8sMGcI23JxCoDOA

Last edited:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the advice on bunks. I need to do that on two trailers and will be following your lead. The trailer looks better than new, and I am sure it will work better than it did.