The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

dozerII

Admiral
You have her cleaned up real good Rob, I would imagine you are about to start making a lot of noise with your air hammer.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man, that hull was riveted on Friday afternoon & the quality-control guy took the day off. :facepalm:

I was thinking they had a special needs class at the factory on a field trip and handed them the drill and air hammer. :lol:

Another V5 attribute becomes apparent after a few weeks of sanding around faux lapstrakes & side rub-rail...a V5 hull would be a dream to polish. :eyebrows:

Yeah the though crossed my mind to polish but I'm going to paint it and leave her bare bottomed.

Did the rivet team think the two over-riveted were shoddy with the smiles?

There were a couple more of those and a spot where they walked the drill bit around and drilled in twice about halfway through.

My first thoughts were Monday morning, QC was on vacation..:lol:
Nice work Watermann.

The lack of craftsmanship is astounding, flawed rivets that had to be removed and 3 gallons of glue sprayed all over inside. :facepalm:

Looking really great Rob, looks like its ready for paint.

Getting there, I have to feather out a ton of dock rash and scratches that'll show through the paint but no dents, they're all on the bottom.

Do the V5's have a shallower forefoot? The earlier hulls appear to be fuller in the bow, or that just a trick of camera angle? Nice progress there.

Ron

The V5's have a way sharper bow angle and dead rise, she should handle the rough stuff quite well!

Man, my money is still on a June splash. You are humming right along on this one!

Lot's to do on her still and tons of parts to buy. I still plan on being on the water this summer and put the boat work on the back burner.

Thanks for buzzing my dry dock guys!

Watermann

You have her cleaned up real good Rob, I would imagine you are about to start making a lot of noise with your air hammer.

Thanks Glen, yeah the toughest part is the tear down and clean up. This ole gal and her rivet issues oh man, we put in close to 200 solids this weekend (with 5200) and 150 blinds. I got pretty good at being able to eyeball the bad solids.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Man that's a lot of rivets, she going to be one solid boat when you're done.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You've gone wild with rivets.

That boat's going to be all bumps. :joyous:

Riveting can become addictive.

How's your hearing today?

Watermann

Man that's a lot of rivets, she going to be one solid boat when you're done.

Yeah it's amazing how solid she is now. The test of all that work setting solid rivets comes this weekend when I do a leak test. Keeping fingers crossed that if it leaks it's not my rivet work.

Watermann

Got to the rust remediation and removal from all the mandrels left under the deck not too mention the blinds that were set left rust. This was one of the worst messes I had on my hands along the deck support stringers.. The brown haze above isn't rust it's old glue that was re-stuck after washing it down off the sides.

Before...

y4mie8wNjNL7BRp6WLNR_D_AH2-upjxQsB0MeY51kwvpm9gIH-VhnIHZfsspjvjjvRx8YqbU1iliniIZR3rytmCaGD4q5h1L-Nh27ACbFTZo0oLOF5B4dmzXndhBFREwOfJ-2vijiwpqWxOD17pk2Y7CCLBOuLxNxkObW4p223dK1TYbrGYhGxHJdNrQUkRNG0Jl81zEYkMJVYvA4LqwQIPJQ

Used this to get rid of the cancerous rust.

286749_1114_SRT_32oz_RustDissolver.ashx

After... I just lightly scrubbed the rust pits with a SS toothbrush. The Rusto stuff de-ox's AL really well too and took off the glue goo.

y4m_vjP6eWSv4_769-mfiuEtKI26GTNEG54PuwXLADA9KjP4cBEn-GFWCMXgp2E3Z1yy75UpIcQaEtOD4Stvqyv7FbTLXc3NZWsUQUOK84m40bjGnzYt-a7atvNmXUTBdSbeMR_tiVgBsWZ2f2sesdvzK9VriMAf0KydkHrd3QYk1MMgAvPvOWGqKm5PIXDPoehLLxrlBV6qcCvNjtCxNDEOg

Then to rinse it out after the job was done I decided to do a bottom leak test on a couple hundred new solids. Glen will be happy to know his and his BIL's handy work on the keel strip has no leaks. In fact there wasn't one drip in a half hour.

y4muc6EbYQ_MXn-daO6jWByVyfuOolni-j55_Oml6REV-QyJf2Ov3nDFqIS8tb-kS7gJj-B8a3AJNxP3fgQRm3jHuWJqJqTo1wfvg8eKHadR6vc_KfjFLY808gJJMmYFiw0cmzJmWV0SXQ68G3Ppx0EmYpLH0WBgp2m3xZiKgmzH8Ha_ITlWO_Ad_55rl4OEcsi88_7CupV7OGFWYVogmU_6w

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Hey Rob great progress, glad to hear we did it right:thumb: I think the BIL is still trying to get the last of the 5200 off his fingers:bounce:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is this the one Glen R & R'ed the keel strip on? Let's face it - These things all start to look alike after a while. :joyous:

Looks like another good product with side benefits, Rob. Cleans rust stains, AL and helped with carpet glue. De-gluing fits somewhere in the sanding and trailer work hate list, doesn't it?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats on a dry hull there Agua..and thanks for the Tip! :thumb:

...fine job on that keel there Dozer's BIL! :yo: :lol:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's what I used to get rid of the rust from rusty nails that I found under the original floor. Worked well

Looks like your stripper worked better than the Citri-Safe that I used. It took soaking for over a day to break loose some of the paint.

Like your work. Keep it up and you'll be done in no time. Probably before mine.

Watermann

So the picture below doesn't rise to a very high level to the untrained eye... BUT it signifies a very important event to me. This trailer has flat kicked my rear end, I have at least 3 times the hours I have in the boat just in getting it to where it is now. I've had to scrape every last spec of paint off, wire wheel, grinder and flapper the rust off. Rust dissolver, rust reformer and primer on the spots that had no rust. Fenders, tongue, springs and axle are all done... OMG what a chore! Now the easy part of shooting paint and reassembly.

Oh yeah the real milestone of the whole thing is that it's actually in the hangar for paint and that I convinced the admiral to move her Buick outside! How'd I do it? Well I had that chunk of steel so bare and clean just the humidity in the air was starting to flash rust it.

y4m7n02x2xyBRclrs-YjqZX42iFMCjaQ80r2d6GCkNYXLRDn8Gkvtlg1bOkQsN7Ex1FihLJVyLl9AMNaFgQiF6nopc1soiPvFsPqULYZrRag1LabMe6zVhx-1xXyU3BGpfQ1cnFZMHaZJrUf-WOiAhSNVxBT3zgFY7hE_dV2vbPZVzeHFjNKYFxxqvPKyHFvL_rKQrcO1fF6hinT8h0IXp3WA

In the mean time while I was waiting for paint remover to work I got a new bow eye backer made up, spared and installed with 5200. I pulled out a scrap piece of 3/4" marine ply I had that was just enough to make a support for the bow cover so I can bolt down a big bow mount TM. Spar aroma wafting about means things are going back together. :D For those who make a tight fit on the bow cover the edge takes 30 degree bevel cut.

y4msSOsjnU0OrIXWfcNpE1BN8Kz7ZbJSK-Ynpe-DR6tEwq11rqJYFSkZfQ3YQdPynZZ8UK-DHm_1ZTosEpnrdIDuJ-0S8LY4r0gbXPgBTZLyzTNCVZIqfSY2W2FW1mJu0fss0S3NJwFnQEzhTSZqv3suWW2_bzhRRA83Qz0AoJQFphX1geF_9c4rlENXcxJyg4MDXHWW47VXQwP_i6VeFKBog

Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Looking real good Rob. Glad to see you are over the hump and in the home stretch for that trailer. I won't be working on mine until I've shot paint on the boat and shoved it off the trailer.

dozerII

Admiral
Don'ya just love trailer work!! Your just flying on this build Rob, you looking for a July long splash:D

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Nice trailer transformation. You are reminding me that mine needs some help, and I have been putting it out of my mind since it is not a pleasant thought. Thanks Mr. Myagi

Ron

Watermann

Thanks guys for stopping by my dry dock / trailer restoration thread and for the encouragement! :yo:

I have some bad pitting on the top of the rail that will be visible by the port fender. I can fill it with JB but the subsequent sanding will ruin the rust reformation and I would have to do it again to on the exposed metal. Oh yeah and I'm a terrible body and fender man... Sheesh it never seems to end... :facepalm:

MARUSS

Seaman
I know what you mean, as one of my buddies says " You know what boat stands for." and he's right. " BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND."