'74 Chieftain 21' I/O is home, the rebuild begins !

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's now official, I have her in my possession :)
I will use this as my rebuild thread, may be busy at times and slacking in others. Especially with current weather as it is, unpredictable.

I'll start this off with some of the questions about whether it has already undergone the hull stiffener upgrade, the row of rivets making me ask the question in the earlier thread. It appears it has and the strips riveted in aren't narrow like I've seen some, these are pretty wide and visible from inside the cabin and between the fuel tanks and hull.

Then we have the pocket door that others wanted to see pictures of. I'm still not sure if it was done by a PO or Starcraft did it, there doesn't appear to be any holes from where hinges would have been, unless the bulkhead has been replaced. It is, or was, covered with a pretty thick laminate of some sort that is peeling off. Regardless, I like it. It works well and keeps it out of the way. Here's some pics of the top track.

More to come......

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Missing water tank and sink..

Missing....? What went here originally ? edit:nvm looks like missing storage and a fridge/cooler

This is under the port side seat, was this a PO deal or did Starcraft have something here ?

Then these little rubber things, two on each side of the doghouse in the floor.

Into the cabin, all of the camper canvas and bows are accounted for ! Just need to be restitched, someone stitched them in cotton so they are starting to fall apart. Even have the wraps that keep them covered when not in use.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
She looks real, same color scheme as my 21, but mine doesn't have the pocket door. Will be following along.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome, congrats! Yeah, the weather's messed up to your east, too. 80? temp swings from one week to the next. Makes me feel OK about giving up skiing years ago.
I'm looking forward to your rebuild.

Last edited:

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need to fix that front window pretty soon, it's been leaking for quite a while and rotted one of the pieces of wood under the bow. Eventually it will be painted to match her tow vehicle. Kinda hoping I have enough time for paint this year but my main goal is to get all of the wood replaced and canvas repaired so we can put her to use.This is the color she'll be sporting this summer if I have time and what I'll be towing her with.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Awesome, congrats! Yeah, the weather's messed up to your east, too. 80? temp swings from one week to the next. Makes me feel OK about giving up skiing years ago.
I'm looking forward to your rebuild.

Thanks :) Yeah this has been a weird one. -30 wind chills to 50 something today, still 52 right now and I don't know how high it got but I ended up in a t-shirt starting deconstruction today lol. I was going to tow it home with my truck but the top 2" of the yard where she sat was just peeling away from the frozen ground so I came back home to get my tractor. Loaded high flotation tires with chains and never spun a tire. I'm glad I didn't rip up their yard lol.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
That's a pretty truck. How did it avoid road salt all these years?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Nice project. Those little rubber things are Wellnuts as they're marked. Kinda pricey, but very effective for securing stuff in wet environments. I used them in my Holiday to secure the sleeper seats, the toilet and even the trim tabs. They have a brass threaded insert so they're pretty indestructible and they expand as you tighten them. I have stainless steel trim tabs on an aluminum hull which is a concern for corrosion, I suppose. The rubber Wellnuts isolate the 1/4"-20 ss mounting bolts from the aluminum and very effectively seal the drilled holes in the hull. (I also isolated the tabs from contact with the hull on rubber pads.) - Grandad

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Well, you seem to be at the stage where it is hard to stay out of the boat, and every thing you open up or turn over yields another discovery or mystery or treasure or horror. I love it. The pocket door looks like an add on to me, due to the not so boat friendly hardware. It may be factory, but also looks a bit like a cut down aluminum storm door. Whatever, it is pretty clever and seems to work. I will be looking at that idea soon myself, so thanks for posting the details. The thing under the seat looks like a cigarette lighter socket??. Also I see there are foot rest boxes under the seats. Storage or battery boxes?

Congratulations and enjoy the trip.

Ron

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dont hold me to it, but yes, those do look like the rib end plates SC installed.

There was a similar early-mid 70s boat posted that had a factory retrofit of those plates done. In her's the plates were also larger then 'typical', IIRC. Hers may have been an 18ftr.

Hmm, that 'socket' under the post seat does sort of look like a power port. Hand held spot light maybe? Cant really tell where it is under the port seat though...

Storm pocket door could go either way, but I'm w oldhaven, most likely an addon. But get it cleaned out some and take some more pix. The door edge trim is cut to fit around the sliding door thumb latch pretty well. Does the thumb latch lock and unlock the door when closed?

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a pretty truck. How did it avoid road salt all these years?
It sat in a barn on a horse farm most of it's life, the owners lived down south somewhere and only used it during the summer when they came up to NY. Unfortunately it's gotten some rust now. I've had to use it every so often in the winter hauling firewood when my winter truck had to be scrapped due to a rotted frame. Now this one needs some attention. Still really good considering it's age and how I see the new trucks looking after a few years.

Nice project. Those little rubber things are Wellnuts as they're marked. Kinda pricey, but very effective for securing stuff in wet environments. I used them in my Holiday to secure the sleeper seats, the toilet and even the trim tabs. They have a brass threaded insert so they're pretty indestructible and they expand as you tighten them. I have stainless steel trim tabs on an aluminum hull which is a concern for corrosion, I suppose. The rubber Wellnuts isolate the 1/4"-20 ss mounting bolts from the aluminum and very effectively seal the drilled holes in the hull. (I also isolated the tabs from contact with the hull on rubber pads.) - Grandad
Ok, they were about where the front of the rear seats would have rested. I looked at the seats thinking someone may have screwed them down but there's no holes in the seat frames. Gotta be another PO experiment. These ones don't have any inserts in them either so maybe they pushed through and are sitting on the bottom of the hull.

Well, you seem to be at the stage where it is hard to stay out of the boat, and every thing you open up or turn over yields another discovery or mystery or treasure or horror. I love it. The pocket door looks like an add on to me, due to the not so boat friendly hardware. It may be factory, but also looks a bit like a cut down aluminum storm door. Whatever, it is pretty clever and seems to work. I will be looking at that idea soon myself, so thanks for posting the details. The thing under the seat looks like a cigarette lighter socket??. Also I see there are foot rest boxes under the seats. Storage or battery boxes?

Congratulations and enjoy the trip.

Ron
Yup, definitely hard to stay out of it, was back in it at 2am with thoughts running lol. The door doesn't look to be cut down to me, wonder if it was a swinging door that sliding door hardware was attached to. When I get that part torn apart I will post more details and pics of it. I like that it doesn't swing open by the seat !
Under those boxes are 18g fuel tanks. I bumped one of them while ripping up some carpeting and the top moved so I gave it a yank and sure enough it's hinged. Probably for access to the senders and fittings. Also found a set of jumper cables under one of them.
That piece under the seat kinda reminded me of a cig lighter too but I thought it was an odd place to put one. It has a metal sleeve that goes right through the plywood, jb mentioned a power outlet, which would make sense. I've seen pictures of Chieftains with spotlights and I think they were hanging on the bulkhead on that side. I'll have to look for those pics again.

Dont hold me to it, but yes, those do look like the rib end plates SC installed.

There was a similar early-mid 70s boat posted that had a factory retrofit of those plates done. In her's the plates were also larger then 'typical', IIRC. Hers may have been an 18ftr.

Hmm, that 'socket' under the post seat does sort of look like a power port. Hand held spot light maybe? Cant really tell where it is under the port seat though...

Storm pocket door could go either way, but I'm w oldhaven, most likely an addon. But get it cleaned out some and take some more pix. The door edge trim is cut to fit around the sliding door thumb latch pretty well. Does the thumb latch lock and unlock the door when closed?
I'll have better pictures of those plates once I have the floor up. I planned on doing that today but my wife was admitted to the hospital so I've been there all day and most likely for the next few days. The weather will be kinda touch and go for a few days anyway so no big deal.
That socket, or what's left of it, is right between the cast seat brackets that bolt to the seat bottom and slide on the tubing.
Ya know, now that you mention the door latch, it's the wrong style for a sliding door. It has the normal catch for a swinging door, so, it's been changed to a slider. I bet I can find the right type of latch for a slider. I'll be looking at Lowes for one that locks, be good to keep honest people honest lol.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
An official :welcome: to the Starmada FC!

Fantastic Chief you got your mitts on and I'm sure she will cause you to have quite a few sleepless nights and early mornings. :lol:

I sure don't like the way that steel fuel tank is mounted, in that last pic it looks to be rubbing on the side of the hull to me at least in the pic. :eek:

Dark rotten replaced decking too, I see there's screws holding it down rather than LF blinds.

Super what a bunch of work avoided having the hull stiffeners already in place :thumb:

Last edited:

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
An official :welcome: to the Starmada FC!

Fantastic Chief you got your mitts on and I'm sure she will cause you to have quite a few sleepless nights and early mornings. :lol:

I sure don't like the way that steel fuel tank is mounted, in that last pic it looks to be rubbing on the side of the hull to me at least in the pic. :eek:

Dark rotten replaced decking too, I see there's screws holding it down rather than LF blinds.

Super what a bunch of work avoided having the hull stiffeners already in place :thumb:

The sleepless nights were started long before I brought her home lol. Once I get my mind going I can't shut it down. I think the image is a bit deceiving, I believe there's about 1/4" between the tank and hull. That ply sure is rotted, going to be real easy to pull up, using it for a pattern however may present a problem. I was hoping to use the holes already there to rivet the new back down but I don't think it's gonna happen. It'll work out anyway. The ply does get much better as I go forward though. That nasty carpet held water for years, vinyl will be going back in. Will probably start pulling up the floor tomorrow after I get back from the hospital and have some time free. I was pretty happy knowing I didn't have to put the stiffeners in, would have done it if need be but this will save tons of time.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good thoughts you and yours way. Hopes shes on the mend and headed home soon

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
When you get a chance add some overall pics of the boat from the outside and some with overall interior perspective. The before pics may be a good thing to have in the future. ;)

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, jb, she's got a pretty bad gland infection. Went to the ER this morning after putting off seeing a Dr for a month or so thinking they would lance it and be on her way. It was so bad they wanted a CT scan and the Dr said the scan was pretty concerning. Putting ot off made it so bad it spread to 3 different spots so he said she'd be admitted and have surgery today to take care of it. They have it cleared now and the wound packed with this antibiotic gauze that will need to be repacked a couple times. Looking like she may be home on Wednesday. Maybe she'll pay my advise a bit more mind for a change, she was starting to get pretty sick from it. Feeling much better now thankfully. But, it's been pretty peaceful this evening :D

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you get a chance add some overall pics of the boat from the outside and some with overall interior perspective. The before pics may be a good thing to have in the future. ;)

Now there's something I forgot, was in that rip her apart mood and never thought to get some good before shots of the deck area. I have some of the cabin one the first page but completely slipped the deck. I'll be sure to get some good overall shots of the outside though. Need to get some under the dash too, what a cluster **** :facepalm:
Kinda expected it though. I've owned enough old stuff to know things will get funky with wiring. Back by the engine it all looks good. I think a good plan will be to make extensions for my multimeter and start tracing to see what under the dash is supposed to do what. Once I get the wood replaced.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not a whole lot of progress today, another day at the hospital. But the wife is home and feeling much better.
Got the rear portion of the floor torn up before it started o rain/sleet then robbed the tarp from the nasty glasser to cover the Chieftain. Found the fuel tanks probably have at least 8 gallons of bad gas in them yet so going to need to find something to do with it. I don't even have anything to hold that much garbage gas.

Theres this solenoid on the transom, did they come with these or is it PO added ? It's in the gas lines, either to switch tanks or kill fuel flow, no idea which.

Expecting rain and snow mix for the next few days so may not get a lot accomplished, but if it holds off I be dismantling more. Kinda hard to stay away :)

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
So now it's snowing :grumpy:
Decided to do some editing of a picture of a member's boat that I shamelessly stole. Not finished but I'm also far from a digital artist lol. This is kinda what I have in mind when I get around to painting the Chief. The green isn't a match to what my truck has but I'm color blind so I can't get it close, and the gray at the bottom will be bare aluminum. Will be a good match to the tow vehicle with it's white mirrors/bumpers and silver wheels.
retouch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.