1964 jupiter restoration

Ginga83

Cadet
Wife and i joined the starmada last summer and are starting our restoration now. I will have a lot of questions for the group since this is my first resto. And yes I will post pics tonight when I figure out how along with my first round of questions I am sure.

Ginga83

Cadet
Thanks jbcurt! I will set up the photobucket tonight. Probably will be a bit easier since I will be doing most of the updates from my phone.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard and to the Starmada!

Yeah some pics of the tinny will keep the mob from forming up. :D

Ginga83

Cadet
For $275 I didn't have any complaints once we got the trailer dug out of the ground. She had been sitting outside untouched for 4 years before we got our hands on her

Ginga83

Cadet
Got the interior vacuumed out and got the 1975 johnson 70hp running again and put her on the water for the end of summer. Started grinding the paint of today and I have my first question. I am using a 60 grit sanding pad on my grinder am I ok to work on and around the edges of the rivets with that or do your guys use something else to get the paint off?

Watermann

Nice Jup with a great motor for a killer price!

I've not sanded paint, most of us use paint stripper along with several tools to remove the loosened paint. Scrapers, 3M scrub pads, wire wheels, nylox wheels and pressure washers work good too if your stripper is doing it's job.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Easier to go with paint stipper to bare aluminum with a 3m stripper disc or orange nylon cup disc for around the rivets.

Ginga83

Cadet
With how thin the aluminum is on these to start with. I knew i was nervous for a reason. I think i will be switching to that.

InMotion

Commander
Hey Ginga... paint stripper all the way... it's still the messiest part of the job... but once you're through that it will all start to come together! Nice to see another Jup being brought back to life!

Jim

Ginga83

Cadet
So as I work on stripping this off i have started looking at paint for the bottom of the boat. I will be using coat it on all of the seams and rivets and will need to cover it. What do you recommend for a good bottom paint without breaking the bank?

Watermann

I've painted the bottom on my boats and really don't plan on ever doing it again rather just strip the paint and leave it bare.. A big waster of time and money as it's just about like painting the underside of a car. You'll only see it if you crawl underneath when it's on the trailer.

jbcurt00

Staff member
So as I work on stripping this off i have started looking at paint for the bottom of the boat. I will be using coat it on all of the seams and rivets and will need to cover it. What do you recommend for a good bottom paint without breaking the bank?

Coat it or GluvIt goes on the inside, are you talking about painting the exterior bottom of the boat hull or the inside?

Ginga83

Cadet
I was going to do inside and out. I bought the 8lb kit since it was on a really good sale. Figured if i have it i might as well use it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dont use it on the outside, once you get it stripped, you wont want to goop it up w CoatIt. Its not a particularly neat product to apply...

Inside alone will be enough.

Ginga83

Cadet

Finally got a non rainy day here in washington. I have no idea what kind of paint the PO used but there were definitely four layers of it. This is going to take longer than I thought.