BSsYYxUl.jpg

firefly-captain-malcom-reynolds-shiny.jpg

Looks real good.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
WTG, looks like the WS fits perfectly now and the frames are dazzling too :D

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What color paint is that? I bought some Ford Blue tractor paint and it is REALLY blue. I'm hoping to use two shades of blue, Navy and another more Royal Blue along with white.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What color paint is that? I bought some Ford Blue tractor paint and it is REALLY blue. I'm hoping to use two shades of blue, Navy and another more Royal Blue along with white.
Rustoleum Professional Royal Blue.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Console fronts are cut out and temporarily attached. Measuring those was not much fun. Starting to work on the bow seating area.

ArPj0GMl.jpg

Watermann

Yeah those panels are tough alright, my SS even had hull side ribs to deal with. Looks like you got the upper hand on them though. What's you plan for them now?

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah those panels are tough alright, my SS even had hull side ribs to deal with. Looks like you got the upper hand on them though. What's you plan for them now?
Spar, and then covered with white vinyl. I want to build the bow seats first, so that I can spar and vinyl it all in one batch.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Nice job. Those panels along with the windshield alignment were one of the more difficult parts of my restore.

InMotion

Commander
Man... nice job so far! Really starting to take shape. This is the part where things get really exciting!

Enjoy.

Jim

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Worked on the side panels and sliding doors this weekend. Still a work in progress, but I need to spar and vinyl all the pieces before I can go further with them.

LZZcEIil.jpg

Question for the masses- Do I need to worry about accidentally containing fuel vapors with solid doors like this? Especially since the battery and bilge pump are also in this now-contained area. Yes the tank has a vent and of course I will run that vent to the splashwell. But I know that I/Os typically have a bilge blower even though their tanks are vented to the outside. Why? An engineer buddy of mine was helping me the other day and he brought this up. Is fuel vapor the reason that the original design had grates in the doors? I don't care for that look, but I don't want my boat to go boom.

Last edited:

Watermann

Some concerns, you have to use some compartment ventilation no matter what, especially if the tank is portable and vents inside but if the tank fills and vents outside the compartment then I don't see a problem having only some vents rather than the unwanted mesh type back doors. Other than fuel line permeation for vapors the only other cause would be a leak however small. So you need to come up with some sort of compartment ventilation and not have it sealed up..

IO's have ALL the fuel connections enclosed and that's why they are required to have a blower. It's all about fuel line connections and ventilation. Having an ignition source is something to worry about with fuel vapors as with an IO backfiring, starter, alternator and such. Nothing other than a battery with secure connections being in the compartment won't make your boat go boom without a blower if it's an OB.

Personally I would find some sort of SS vent grate to add in to allow some fresh air to enter and push out any vapors that may collect.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Some outboards utilize a solenoid switch to toggle from port fuel cell to starboard fuel cell,... a potential area of ignition

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

looks real nice mbrought, I would think some kind of vent is in order also, maybe even something like these black areas on splashwell rail or gunnels

Attachments

• photo261387.jpg
    photo261387.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1