1971 StarCraft Star Trek-V rescue

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Picked this up a couple weeks ago and the snow storm kept me from going over it. Well, I got in it today and pulled out 3 gas cans 4 seats and posts and anything else that was not tied down. The bottom floor is 1/2" plywood that has been coated and the raised floor is 3/4" and braced with 2x's The area under the splash well is pretty dirty from oil scuz and the transom is still in good shape. I got down and looked up under the floor toward the bow and the original half moon deck is still up there. I am going to try and pull the old carpet this weekend and see how the floor is put down. I want to pull the console out and eventually put a tiller in place of the 85 Johnson that's on there now. There is a seat base in front of the splash pan for a seat to run a tiller. I had to buy another key and was glad I could read the number on the switch. The switch had been replaced and had the push primer type from the 90's. I am going to try to start the 85 horse if I can find the switch to work the tilt. Lol Overall this boat has not been beat up and shows the original paint. The inside is not too shabby except for the carpet. The trailer is an EZ Load and has new 14" radials. The trailer is in good shape and has bunks and rollers underneath for the boat to ride on. There is a 70# MinnKota with Auto Pilot setting on the bow that cost more than I paid for the whole rig. Putting another 300 to 400 hundred dollars give or take and it should stand tall. Yipeee!!

Attachments

• photo237040.jpg
    photo237040.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 7
  • photo237041.jpg
    photo237041.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo237042.jpg
    photo237042.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo237043.jpg
    photo237043.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 16
  • photo237044.jpg
    photo237044.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
:welcome: to the starmada Dave. looks like the trek has been well cared for and considerably modified from its factory interior lay out.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice looking project. Lots of fishing space with that deck layout. Instead of a tiller set up you might look into doing a side console layout. It would require less modifications I think, and would keep you from having to modify the splash well.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice find Dave! These old SC boats can be made into just about anything one would want in a boat and some guys really do alter them.

Those 2x's for framing look raw to me and need to come out for sure to get to the bottom of things. There may be some wiring troubles going on below deck too.

fetch

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice find Dave! These old SC boats can be made into just about anything one would want in a boat and some guys really do alter them.

Those 2x's for framing look raw to me and need to come out for sure to get to the bottom of things. There may be some wiring troubles going on below deck too.

fetch

That compartment is where the guy had his 2 trolling motor (24 volt) batteries. The framing for sure looks like possibly treated. The main floor was sealed with something. I saw under the console where some of the wiring was ran through PVC. Hope to get in there this weekend.

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice looking project. Lots of fishing space with that deck layout. Instead of a tiller set up you might look into doing a side console layout. It would require less modifications I think, and would keep you from having to modify the splash well.

If I do go with a tiller what modifications need to be done to the splash well? The main reason i wanted to go with the tiller is to be able to have an open floor. Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
W a tiller and a splashwell, you'll be reaching over the splashwell, which in many SCs is going to be a LONG reach, IMO.

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
W a tiller and a splashwell, you'll be reaching over the splashwell, which in many SCs is going to be a LONG reach, IMO.

Is there a post anywhere that talks / shows how to modify the splash well?

Last edited:

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

JB, is that flat carpeted section across the front of the splash well help get you closer to a tiller. That section has a seat base and I wonder if maybe they sat there and operated a kicker?

Attachments

• photo236545.jpg
    photo236545.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 13

jbcurt00

Staff member
A few, but off hand none were to accomodate a tiller, just narrowed to suit rebuilder's vision.

This weekend post some pix of the Trek's splashwell (SW).

The front of the SW ties into the gunwales and interior panels below the gunwales. Changing the SW then forces changes to the other stuff too. Just for info, all that stuff can be changed.

jbcurt00

Staff member
JB, is that flat carpeted section across the front of the splash well help get you closer to a tiller. That section has a seat base and I wonder if maybe they sat there and operated a kicker?

Yes. I dont think the original SW layout included the large flat triangles on either side. I think there's a slopped SW part buried under those carpeted flats.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You have lots of opportunity to plan and design how you want things to be just know that the boats PO most likely did things wrong. Take for instance the location of the transducer in the last pic you posted. There could not be a more wrong location to mount it and you'll have to repair all the little things that he did to the old boat.

Tear her down, make the hull repairs and be thinking about rebuilding the old gal into what you want her to become.

fetch

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Go through my build and you will see how i redid the transom thinking i wouldnt put the splashwell back in. I ended up using it though and still may end up using a tiller, but i am leaning more towards a console because of the prices of a large hp used tiller vs console motor. There are also pics of two other SC boats that gave me the idea for my transom.

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks so much for the input. My problem is my mind has more ideas than my body can catch up to. Lol The back of the transom area looks nasty and I hate how they have the tie downs fastened around the corner. At some time when screws and such were used they used regular and they are starting to rust and some are seen along the transom trim. I am hoping to get the tilt working to lower the motor with hopes of getting it started. If you can believe it, the boat was kept in a garage until last fall and then left out under trees and a for sale sign put on it.

Tnstratofam

Commander
g0nef1sshn has a great thread going on his rebuild. The splash well area on the SS boats are similar if not the same as what you have so his thread or any actually will give you some good insight into what can be done. Inmotion has a good rebuild on a14' or 15' Starcraft Jet that he converted to a tiller I believe. There really is no right or wrong deck layout with these boats it's all up to your imagination. I do understand the wanting of more fishing deck space.

It's pretty amazing how fast a boat left out in the elements uncovered will start to rot.

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Spent this morning putting the key switch back in and lubing the throttle parts after going to marina to get a new key. Lowered the not tilt motor down and tried to get it to turn over. Nope...Pulled the cowl and checked the fuse and it came apart and was burnt. That little fuse must only be about a 3/8" long. I am going to splice in a new style holder and fuse. I put a fuse in and it cranked. I pulled the plugs and did a compression check and all were within 5# of each other. I am gong to try to start it on Monday.
Here are some pics of the deck that the PO put on top of the splash well. he used plywood and it is solid. After looking at g0nef1sshn rebuild and the deck at the splash pan I can see good reasons for putting one there. I am going to pull the carpet and see what's going on in that area. One thing I don't like is how the PO put flooring almost to the end below the splash well. You can hardly get your hand down in the bottom where the drain is. I did not find a bilge pump down in there and if there was one you would not be able to get at it.

Attachments

• photo237122.jpg
    photo237122.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo237123.jpg
    photo237123.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 2
  • photo237124.jpg
    photo237124.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 2

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Pulled the 3/4" raised deck out today exposed the 2x4 frame job. About a dozen 8 footers and some cut too. May be 14 altogether. The original half moon deck is still there and the original plastic emblem up front saying "Star Trek V" is still there and the original rod holders are also there. Imagine that? Anyone know what StarCraft used on top of the half moon deck? I am posting some pics showing the frame and the splash well. The splash well looks good and from what i can see of the transom brace underneath, it's not all corroded. The deck that was on top of the splash well was made to just set down in the splash well and not fastened and lifted right off. I am going to tear the framing out and get to the lower floor next. The main floor is pop riveted in.

Attachments

• photo237216.jpg
    photo237216.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • photo237217.jpg
    photo237217.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo237218.jpg
    photo237218.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo237219.jpg
    photo237219.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo237220.jpg
    photo237220.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 2

64osby

Admiral
Front seat / deck should be 1/2" ply.

Nice to see they didn't really tear it all up when the PO did the work.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmmmm, a boat rebuild friendly, although misguided, POs work.... uncommon for sure.

Hope you continue to find and remove non-sawzall fueled mods by the PO.