Is this SuperSport hull worth fixing?

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I lurk here often. I've been reading through the Starcraft rebuilds for quite some time and I'm looking for a rebuild project of my own. I found this on Craigslist last week: A 1979 18' Starcraft which I believe is a SuperSport.
TBHW6WEl.jpg

The good:
- Evinrude 90 has power tilt and trim and right around 125psi compression on all cylinders. Could not run it because the guy's outside hose spigot is frozen. He says he had it out last summer with no issues.
- Trailer in decent shape

The bad:
- This thing clearly struck a rock pretty hard at some point. Seller says he repaired with "marine weld" but that it's leaking.
wlZUYm4l.jpg

pIG8jMpl.jpg

KoPyH1ul.jpg

- Seller proudly stated that he replaced the deck with pressure treated plywood 3 years ago. I know about pressure treated wood and aluminum corrosion.
- The flywheel on the motor is very rusty from what I can see. I have not seen the underside where the magnets are.

Whatever I buy, I'm planning on a total rebuild of the interior and stripping and repainting of the hull. So I'm not worried about the cosmetic issues.

So here are my questions:

1) Is the damage on the very bottom of the hull is fixable / worth fixing? I have seen on here a few times where small holes were repaired with fresh aluminum, rivets, and 5200 I believe. Is this too big for that? I would say the damaged portion is about a foot long. Does it need to be welded? I do know a guy who owns a big fabrication shop in town and he has the gear and expertise to weld aluminum, but he isn't necessarily a "boat guy", which is why I'm asking here.

2) Is 3 years of having a pressure treated deck long enough to where I should be concerned about the condition of the aluminum underneath?

3) Is a rusty flywheel concerning?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
1) Almost anything can be fixed. The pics don't look terrible, but would need to see it from the inside to see the real damage.

2) PT is not good and it is great you know it. It really depends on how much if any copper has leached from the wood. Only way to tell is to pull the deck and see what is underneath.

3) Exterior of the flywheel is not a huge issue. It is what's going on underneath that would be concerning.

Don't know the market in NY. I would be looking at $500 or less, knowing there is much work to be done and with a slim chance that the boat is scrap. If the motor was proved to be good the buy price might go up a little IMO

jbcurt00

Staff member
Agree w 64

If the motor is in running condition, I'd be interested in why/how flywheel got rusty if it looks excessive. If it does look excessive, whats everything else under the cowl look like?

If everything under the cowl looks rough, does it really run? If it cant be shown to actually run, it adds no value to the price, 500 may be high....

Looks like the front of the consoles got PT too....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
For $1300 OBO, I hope he has papers.

PT, unknown motor, leaks, beat up keel. - Too much moolah!

But on the good side, all of that can be fixed as long as the motor isn't beyond hope.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything else under the cowl looked pretty good to me. I should have taken pics. Somewhat corroded electrical connections but not terrible. Spark plugs were clean.

He does have the title for both boat and trailer.

Weather here supposed to warm up next week so if we think the keel may be fixable I could certainly go back and see how and if it runs.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
dozerII. Paging Dozer. His Chief's keel was worse, IIRC, and didnt look like it was.

Whose topic was the beat up keel to bow transition repair done on GA_Boater?

GA_Boater

dozerII. Paging Dozer. His Chief's keel was worse, IIRC, and didnt look like it was.

Whose topic was the beat up keel to bow transition repair done on GA_Boater?

Crankbait Cowboy?

The keel can be fixed, but don't tell the seller. A bargaining chip along with the PT (seller proud or not), leaks and possibly untested, rusty motor.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I had to repair the keel on my SN so it's very doable. I wouldn't worry so much about the decking and PT in just a few years. The transom is where it really becomes an issue quick due to the surface area in contact.

From here where I live in the PNW that would be a very fair price he's asking in fact it would be a good deal. Supply and demand with these boats, some places they're all over and the price is low but other places not so much.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Now in NY, prices should depressed, esp if the buyer has to dig it out of a snow tomb...

dozerII

Admiral
As everyone above has said it can all be fixed with a bunch of B,S&T, other than the keel the hull looks pretty straight and not beat up. If the owner will allow you to pull the plug on the lower unit for a quick second to see if it has any water in it, if it does that could be a costly repair and would reflect on what you would pay for the boat.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your input. Your own projects are what have inspired me to take on an aluminum Starcraft myself.

dozerII I think I will make a second trip to the seller's house as soon as we get a day above freezing to run the motor and pull the plug on the lower to see what the oil looks like. GA_Boater jbcurt00 Your points are well taken about the motor. Although I did check the compression, and the buyer says it runs fine, to pay anything over about $350 for this needy hull and roller trailer without knowing for sure that the motor runs would be foolish on my part. On the other hand, if I run it and it is indeed running well, and there is no water in the lower, that bargaining chip is kind of gone. So I'll test the motor and if it's good, I think I'll offer $750 for the boat.

I sent the pics to my buddy who owns a big fabrication and repair shop. He is pretty confident that one of his guys would be able to repair the keel, and for only the cost of 1 lunch. What a guy. He has welders working for him who have been working with aluminum for their entire career. If I buy the boat then I'll do more research and I'll have to decide whether to have him weld in a repair, or just fab a piece or pieces that I can rivet in place.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good luck and take some more pix of the keel damage if you can when you go back

GA_Boater

Dozer (I think) removed the keel on one to fix some leaks. Other than re-riveting all of them, I don't think he said it was all that bad. Sounds daunting, but not really.

When (he optimistically says) you bring her home. more pics of the keel and better advice will be coming. Hope the seller is looking to let you have her. :D