1975 Starcraft SS Resto #2.....Side Console conversion

BonairII

Commander
DIY LED nav lights
IMG_2977_zpsammv5xwh.jpg

BonairII

Commander
You've got a really nice resto going. Those lights are pretty, but John Law might not think so. Take a look at this article:
https://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=1160

Hate to see you get a ticket! :blue:

I'm way ahead of you....going to install a small USCG approved light right on the tip of the bow(and on a separate switch).

Will use the small nav light when night fishing(using electric troller). and don't want the bright LEDs lighting up the water and spooking fish.

The LEDs will be used while scooting around the lake from spot to spot.

On a side note: I would doubt(hope) that LEOs won't bother me regardless of the law...since the LEDs are MUCH brighter/safer than most nav lights out there.

BonairII

Commander
Haven't been on iboats much in quite awhile. I bought a bass boat last year. It was fast(60mph) and very good running in rough water. But it just wasn't my cup of tea...so I sold it a couple months ago. So now I'm back to my Starcraft.

s209qoL.jpg

Fortunately I held on to my Starcraft(some may remember my original resto)...so I finished up the side console conversion. I really love this boat now. So much room now....and much better laid out and easy to fish out of. I sold my 75hp Evinrude last year so I had to find another motor. Found a 1978 70hp Evinrude with power trim and controls for $150! Drove an hour to pick it up. Was stored under a tarp for a year. 135psi on all holes. Swapped out the powerpack and rebuilt carbs. She purrs like a kitten! Cleaned up motor and painted it.

Top speed is 34mph which seems pretty good since the boat is fairly heavily loaded (4 batteries, 10 gals of fuel, plus weight of materials needed to make casting decks etc). I only got 36mph out of my prev 75hp...and that had cmc power trim(which also provided setback for the motor)...so I'm def happy with the 70hp's speed.
I mounted the driver's seat on a suspension seat base normally used for tractors (purchased from Tractor Supply). It works amazingly well. Rough water is no problem on my back anymore.

0pbCxtq.jpg

86OSGA1.jpg

rqBDZ64.jpg

The LED nav lights are super bright. While not Coast Guard approved....I doubt I'll be bothered by LEOs. I retrofitted the anchor light with an led bulb...so it's super bright also.
M1HUIBJ.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks great and a nice score on a super motor too. :thumb:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Nice. That turned out really well. I couldn't see the earlier pics. I loved my old 3 cyl 70 on my 16. Very reliable motor.

BonairII

Commander
Nice. That turned out really well. I couldn't see the earlier pics. I loved my old 3 cyl 70 on my 16. Very reliable motor.
Ya...I def love these 3 cyl loopers. Great gas mileage...and simple to work on.