1975 Starcraft SS Resto #2.....Side Console conversion

BonairII

Commander
Haven't been active here in quite awhile, so no better time than the present to change that. For those of you that are familiar with my boat, I did a blue-collar resto on it a couple seasons ago. I've enjoyed the boat since that was completed, but wasn't completely happy with the layout. The dual consoles were nice to break the wind and spray when underway....but limited my mobility and fishing space on the boat.

I routinely go the the back of the boat to help net/land fish that my son and/or friends catch. Having to walk in between the consoles then try NOT trip on coolers. fishing poles, and gear getting to the rear casting deck...was becoming an annoyance.

The solution......converting the boat to a single side console, redesigning the front casting deck(and storage). And making an onboard rod rack.

Demolition begins:
AEEA6C92-B6B3-4BA6-B70D-B7600D46016D_zpsooqkukno.jpg

Front casting deck starting to take shape:
C0C721D1-CFFF-4B5D-A20F-BB034DC411CB_zpseqmkphco.jpg

Hatches cut:
9C952263-9AEE-4AB1-A944-AB878204E149_zpsha0w9kxq.jpg

Consoles mocked up: (windshields came from a Grumman boat...consoles are raised to offer better wind protection when underway)
IMG_2733_zpsc5hitmju.jpg

BonairII

Commander
Rod storage(along port side):
IMG_2806_zpsfpximomf.jpg

835305B1-598F-4E47-9C36-5F657047FEFE_zpsgjzsixn6.jpg

D407121F-2C6B-482F-BFA0-52DF70739E13_zpswqivoskn.jpg

Consoles mocked up again (port console with be portable- and won't be used much):
Hatch was located so that it can still be used if port console is installed
E34B0C17-0E14-4856-A447-A91FC040AC01_zpsdjoudved.jpg

New bow piece (TM and new Humminbird Helix 9 will be mounted here)
29CC427C-072F-4BE3-9AA9-4114B3DFA363_zpspfaa1yku.jpg

Steering wheel mounted:
IMG_2839_zpsw4jv98as.jpg

New Kicker mount (oem mount too thick for Johnson kicker)
6FE0A50A-42D3-48A2-B7AE-2F7C9B5F2DCF_zps8uucux8o.jpg

DIY suspension seat (tractor seat suspension assembly mounted to boat seat)......awesome! :)
IMG_2844_zpsxdjjumzg.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Changing to single side console, but mocked up w both consoles in the last pix?

BonairII

Commander
Yup. I mentioned in my post that the port console(when completed) will be portable....and only installed when I need a second console(windy/choppy day).

It was just mocked up...so that I could get the spacing between the 2 consoles correct(and to make sure 3rd window contacts the helm console window correctly/evenly).

jbcurt00

Staff member
When I posted the question your 2nd post only said place holder for pix.

Dont forget, you've only got 1hr to edit a post.

BonairII

Commander
When I posted the question your 2nd post only said place holder for pix.

Dont forget, you've only got 1hr to edit a post.

Ahh...that explains it.

Resto is coming along nicely, but the cold weather is slowing my progress.. Garage(barn) isn't heated, so gloves and long underwear are a must.

I'm going to get the rough carpentry done, but will have to wait til warmer weather to fill gaps/seams/"boo-boos" with putty and/or liquid nails. Waterproofing the wood with Spar Urethane wlll obviously have to wait also.

Helm dash is getting a splash-proof switch panel (should arrive today):
IMG_2820_zps7gsltc2h.jpg

Currently, I have a non-waterproof switch panel mounted under the rear casting deck...not the most convenient location.

64osby

Admiral
Great project, love the removable console idea.

Always a pain cleaning up what the last guy did to the boat. :eek::D:lol:

Might be help to use a halogen work light or a space heater to add a little comfort.

Tnstratofam

Commander
This looks like a good way to have the best of two great layouts. Nice mock up, and I think it will work great. Tagging along to see how it all turns out.

BonairII

Commander
Bonair - Was this the first time? No, no - I mean the first re-do on her. :D http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...admission-to-the-starmada-2nd-splash-complete

Yup...that's her. The link to that resto is in my sig also.

Haven't decided on what to do with the passenger seat yet. Might go with a removeable pedestal...so that the seat can be removed and stowed while fishing. I would do another suspension seat...if I could figure a way to make some kind of quick connect/disconnect base for it.

No real possibility of heat in the barn...as it's too large and drafty. Would need to wall in the area of the barn where the boat is with plastic sheeting to hold in heat. Not worth the time/money and hassle of doing it. Not to mention that I'd need to buy a heater also.

64osby

Admiral
A halogen light works great for spot heat. It can work similar to infrared heat IMO.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome back to the tin bin. Your other thread just sort of ended without the finished pics and fan fare. I'm guessing you got busy fishing in her. :lol: Looks like you have a good solid plan for the deck rebuild :thumb:

BonairII

Commander
Welcome back to the tin bin. Your other thread just sort of ended without the finished pics and fan fare. I'm guessing you got busy fishing in her. :lol: Looks like you have a good solid plan for the deck rebuild :thumb:

Ya.. my other thread did kinda end unceremoniously. I've def caught a lot of fish with her.

Haven't done much to the boat since my last resto. I did add a 10hp kicker motor last season tho...picked it up for $150. She runs like a top. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNtsy4QNvk

Going to add the Helix 9 fishfinder soon. Darn thing is $1000 bucks. For that kind of money....it better be able to convince the fish to voluntarily jump in my boat! :lol:

Watermann

YT says vid is private.

1k for a fish finder, :eek: if better clean them too.

Watermann

Hmm that link takes me to my YT video manager. :lol:

BonairII

Commander
More Progress:

Casting deck about 95% complete
06DA0C3D-834B-471C-B3C4-0D7C8265BCE1_zpssovm8mjv.jpg

bow3_zps6hjmlpxb.jpg

(I mounted Red LED strip lights and toggle switch under casting deck, so I can see into compartments at night)

New Motorguide Xi5 GPS trolling motor
motorguide_zpsp4lbcutw.jpg

Humminbird Helix 9 Side Imaging fishfinder with Ram mount
humminbird_zpsozprdkba.jpg

I pulled out all the old wiring in the boat(it was a mess and poorly done). Started re-wiring bilge pumps, and lights etc. I'm going to install led ribbon nav lights on front rub rail. It will def make me MUCH more visible at night.

Picked up a Swivl-Eze Wedge pedestal mount and post for passenger seat. It will allow me to remove(and stow away) the seat and pedestal while we're fishing. And will make room for a 3rd fisherman when need be.

Mod EDIT: pix removed

Last edited:

Watermann

Moving right along, you should have her ready for some spring fishing. :encouragement:

BonairII

Commander
Ya...I'll def be ready for spring fishing. The "remodel" has taken bit longer than I expected because of cold weather...and the fact that I keep adding new things that I want to do to her.

Getting the boat painted will be the biggest struggle for me. As soon as the weather warms up...I'll want to be on the water, so I won't want to wait a week for the paint to cure. I'll probably end up figuring out a way to heat the barn, so I can get the painting done before season.