79 22' SS V5 Project

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, New guy here. New to Starcraft boats, but have done some fairly extensive work to aluminum boats in the past. Been watching for 22' v5 for a few years and had pretty much given up when i came across a few of them sitting out in the woods. lucky for me the guy was willing to part with the one i wanted, although i would have taken any of them. got the boat gutted and have just started some of the rebuild. Figured I better come here for some info from the experts. the boat looks to be identical to do djpeters boat. I'd like to post some picks, but have a few questions. Do u guys use the IMG or HTML link from photobucket to load your pics. I'd be real interested to hear from someone who uses their phone to post pics. hopefully I can get some pics up soon.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't use a smartphone for posting pics directly, but PB is my friend because it works. Use the IMG code and paste it in your post. There are a couple of advantage to using IMG. Big pics, no limit to the number of pics in a message and a new member with less than 3 posts can add pics immediately.

On that note - :welcome: StarcraftLand.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rather then the app, I use the online PB to access pix. At the bottom (right I think) of each pix theres a SHARE button that pulls up a drop down menu on my droid. From that drop down menu, I pick the GET LINKS option and that takes me to an IMG code I can copy to post pix:

fetchphotoid9222901_1.jpg

Welcome to the tin sanity

Last edited:

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks GA. I'v been trying to post a pic. No luck yet but I'll keep trying. There has to be a way to do it from a android device.

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
jbcurt00.... thx for the tip, I'll try that.

Attachments

• 20151008_185134_1.jpg
    20151008_185134_1.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Don't use the iboats uploader when you use PB

Just copy the IMG code and paste it into your post.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard the iboats forum and to The Starmada!

That's a real nice field find you got there in a big 22' V5. So did you get an OB with the purchase?

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
There was no motor with the boat. It was origanally a inboard and the previous owner converted it to a out board with a armstrong bracket and some bracing going to the inboard engine mounts. he had a 200 yamaha on it and said it was a great setup. he had a jack plate on it and the jack plate broke and his motor and half the jack plate went to the bottom of the lake. im going to get some pics up as soon as i get this photo bucket figured out.

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
you can see here that half the jack plate was still on the bracket when I got the boat.

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
I have the new transome cut and just put on the first coat of epoxy. you can see in the pic i took the channel that the rub rail mounted to off and cut the aluminum on the stern strait and reinstalled the channel with some countersunk solid rivits.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
its funny how they made such subtle changes over the years...on my 22 ft holiday v5 the tabs that connect the gunnel sides to the hull bottom reach down UNDER the rib...yours just reach the line of rivets. did you take it down to its current condition or was it started already? Id say they NEEDED a jack plate because that Armstrong bracket is mounted VERY LOW...unless they used a 20" shaft outboard!!

plus you will need to adjust that boats place on the trailer...you have way way too much overhand off the last support.

bob

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
id add, I think you definitely want to add some bracing from the transom down to the floor-stringers!!!!... the I/O didn't need near as much bracing as the outboard versions!!!....bob

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
its funny how they made such subtle changes over the years...on my 22 ft holiday v5 the tabs that connect the gunnel sides to the hull bottom reach down UNDER the rib...yours just reach the line of rivets. did you take it down to its current condition or was it started already? Id say they NEEDED a jack plate because that Armstrong bracket is mounted VERY LOW...unless they used a 20" shaft outboard!!

plus you will need to adjust that boats place on the trailer...you have way way too much overhand off the last support.

bob

it's hard to see in my pic but the braces do go down under the ribs. he said he had a 25" 200, but then lowered the bracket when he put the 20" on it. here's a pic of what it looked like when I got it. that trailer is for a different boat. i just used it to get it back to the house.

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
id add, I think you definitely want to add some bracing from the transom down to the floor-stringers!!!!... the I/O didn't need near as much bracing as the outboard versions!!!....bob

I plan on reinforcing it quite a bit. I made some doubters for the inside of the hull under the engine mounts. I'm going to move the engine mounts closers together so the outside edge of the mounts are in line with the stringers. then plan to use 4 or 5" structural aluminum channel to tie into both the engine mounts and stringers. then off the channel up to the transome where the bracket bolts come tru.

Mnsota

Seaman Apprentice
Ive read thru quite a few rebuilds you guys have done, very impressive. Does any one have a method for water proofing engine/bracket mounting holes thru the transome? id like to hear about how the different methods turned out for you. good or bad. I was thinking of putting either aluminum or ss bushings thru transome and fill around oversized hole for bushing with epoxy. my bracket has 12 mounting bolts on it, so lots of potential for water to get in.