1977 StarCraft 18' Super Sport Needs Rehab [SPLASHED 2017]

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
6. A few cranks and the boat started no problem. I always started the engine with the battery charger and didn't notice the battery wasn't able to fully load.

Those motors won't even think about starting unless the starter can spin it a certain RPM. So a fully charged battery is a must

8. I have some water coming in and the bilge went off about every half hour. I guess that is OK for now until I replace a few more rivets and 5200.

That's a fair amount of water. Stick a hose in it on the trailer (not too much, don't overload the trailer) and see where she's leaking.

9. Does the transom look too far below the water? I may be paranoid.

No. Looks normal

I got her up to about 38 or 40 depending on the accuracy of my GPS. I only used about 3/4 of the throttle because the 17 pitch prop couldn't push any more. I was still impressed by the speed. I didn't want to use my good 21 pitch prop in case I hit a log, rock, or body.

You should see 40-45MPH on that boat with a 115. I was just touching 40 with a 90HP and a light load. 21 sounds a bit much. I think a 19 pitch would be your sweet spot.

Congrats on the splash.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ezmobee, thanks for the input. So true about the battery not starting unless fully charged. My next step is to put my trailer on stands and put some water in. I already found a few loose rivets I didn't see previously.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I filled up the bottom of the boat with water tonight to find out where I was taking in water. I found a few rivets I need to replace but nothing major. As I was putting in the plug I notice a missing rivet that was never reinstalled between the splash well drain and the bottom of the transom. How in the world did I miss this, I only looked at it several hundred times and literally it was directly under my nose. The attached image shows the location of my missing rivet circled in orange. I plan on taking the boat on the river for a Father's Day cruise this weekend. missing rivet.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I filled up the bottom of the boat with water tonight to find out where I was taking in water. I found a few rivets I need to replace but nothing major. As I was putting in the plug I notice a missing rivet that was never reinstalled between the splash well drain and the bottom of the transom. How in the world did I miss this, I only looked at it several hundred times and literally it was directly under my nose. The attached image shows the location of my missing rivet circled in orange. I plan on taking the boat on the river for a Father's Day cruise this weekend.

Yeap a 3/16" hole will take on a bunch of water.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
That will ease the mind now knowing that is the only reason you were taking on so much water.

dusted_ya

Seaman Apprentice
Nice boat! This looks exactly like my old boat I just sold. it was a 74 Offshore with the exact avocado green color scheme.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The avocado green grew on me so I couldn't get rid of it. I still have a lot of work to do and will take more photos.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had another test trial on the Chicago River today. I am proud to announce I only had about a cup or two of water after 4 hours on the water. Better than my multiple gallons last trip. Since my last launch I replaced 3 rivets and sealed a few areas with 5200. The engine started up no problem this time and got up to 40 mph with no problem (see image). I didn't change my 17 pitch prop yet but its not the most important thing on my list.

The boat was going along just fine when I lost a little power. I later found out that the only spark plug wire I didn't replace ended up fraying apart. The wire has now been replaced. Overall I am very pleased with how the boat rides and got plenty of compliments from my passenger today.

Now I have the a lot of cosmetic and wiring issues to take care of. boat at dock.jpg boat wake going 40 mph.jpg me in boat with skyline.jpg

Watermann

Super good news, leaks and motor issues really throw a blanket over the good times. Your SS looks great on the water, thanks for the ride along!

Pusher

Lieutenant
My green machine has grown on me too :)
That looks real clean, and there's nothing wrong with 40mph. I'm getting 20 and not too worried about more. Can't catch fish at 40 after all 😁

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This video is from last week. We were going along just fine until we hit a sunken log. Top speed in the video was about 38 mph.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Sunken log😲 I hope it didn't do too much damage. Motor sounds great and looks like it got through the hole quick. Mine ss180 with a 120 evinrude is getting 38 mph as well so I think your good there.

Watermann

Nice hum of a well running 2 stroke is tough to beat. :thumb:

Looks like you kissed that log with the port side and missed it with the motor. I hate the dark water logged wood, tough to see until you're right on it.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watermann,
I did end up hitting the log. It made a small dent in the prop. That's why I use the well used prop in the Chicago River. I could easily hit a body or log without seeing it (I am only half kidding).

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann,
I did end up hitting the log. It made a small dent in the prop. That's why I use the well used prop in the Chicago River. I could easily hit a body or log without seeing it (I am only half kidding).

I thought they weighted the bodies down, it must be a shallow river😂

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...how-to-get-a-watercraft-boat-title-in-indiana

I am pretty sure I did not mention that I did not have a Watercraft Title for my Starcraft. I had a Bill of Sale which is all I needed when I purchased the boat. Indiana subsequently changed their laws and now I needed a title because I did not apply to change the title until this year. The link explains the process I had to go through in order to get my Indiana Title. I live in Illinois so I will register my boat in Wisconsin where it is much easier, cheaper, and no boat trailer title is needed.