1977 StarCraft 18' Super Sport Needs Rehab [SPLASHED 2017]

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Been awhile thought maybe you finished and were out on the lake in the mean green machine. :lol:

pckeen

Commander
Side panels look good - like the Nautolex vinyl as well. And do those seats give a hint as to the final exterior color?

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pckeen,
Not sure I thought about the exterior color. Maybe a green side swoosh with grey hull? That will have to wait until next year.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

image_234799.jpg
photo253954.jpg photo253954.jpg After my summer hiatus it looks like I will be working on the boat again soon. I don't particularly like the way the 18 gallon flat fuel tanks sits in the boat and blocks access to the bilge. Has anyone ever used the 21 gallon tank from Moeller? It seems like it would make the most of the aft space and allow plenty of access to the bilge. Any thoughts? The old gas tank image was obviously a pre rehab image.

Last edited:

Watermann

If you're going to buy a new tank my advice is to go below deck.

Watermann

Waterman, too late for the below deck option.

That's right your decking and covering are in. That tank would use the space more effectively if the dimensions are correct for the space under the SW.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now that it is fall I thought I would get to working on the boat when boating season is nearly over. These are a few items I addressed today.

1. Pulled the 1985 Evinrude 115 hp engine off the donor boat with help from my uncle. Anyone want a free stripped down 1975 Crestliner with no trailer or engine?
2. Pulled the engine off with my home made lifting harness. It was from a flywheel puller kit. Of course the kit only came with two screws the same length so I had to make a spacer for the longer bolts.
3. Installed the new transom cap I had made at a local fabrication shop.
4. Previous owner must have had about three different engines on the boat. Of course the new engine will have to have new holes drilled. I will also be putting in a quarter inch marine plywood transom protector and the Starcraft transom is about a quarter inch narrower.
5. I will be busy plugging holes with bolts and 5200. Any other suggestions?
6. Let's hope for more nice days next week.

engine hoisted.jpg
home made engine harness.jpg
new transom cap.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Are the holes your plugging old mounting bolt holes? Will the bolt heads interfere with the 115 being mounted?

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Most of the holes are old mounting bolt holes. About 4 will interfere with the new engine mount. I plan to recess a small area on the wooden transom pad so that it is flush if needed.

Last edited:

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was able to install the Evinrude 115 today. I filled in a few old mounting holes under the transom board with 5200 and used the other holes to affix the transom saver. I filled in a few old holes not covered by the board with 5200 but I don't like how it looks so I will come back with Marinetex and redo. Those crappy screws will not be there long, couldn't find the ones I bought.

If anyone was wondering, the steering cable from a 1976 85 hp Mercury fits a 1985 115 hp Evinrude.

engine installed on starcraft.jpg.

Watermann

Another milestone to have the power back on. :encouragement:

Hole filling with 5200 doesn't work too well on it's own as far as looks go but it won't leak.

Decker83

Commander
WOW!! Had no ideal a merc steering would fit a rude.. I'm always learning something new here..:encouragement:
The rude looks great hanging off the transom.. Getting closer to splash..:high5:

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Progress is still at slow but at least I got rid of the old original trailer and put in the new trailer. Jacked up the aft and slid two saw horses in place, Lowered the jack and lifted up the bow. Slid out the trailer and put the new one in. I still have a few adjustments to make with the rollers but all is good for now. Next time I will be able to work on the boat is May due to it being over an hour away. If the Admiral will agree, I will try to fit in our garage but garages in Chicago were not made to store boats.

Attachments

• photo261843.jpg
    photo261843.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 14
  • photo261844.jpg
    photo261844.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

Man that looks nerve wracking to me!

fetch

The easiest way is to just leaf frog the boat from old to new. All you have to do is remove the winch tower from the old and drop the tongue on the ground, then with your tow rig back the new one up to the bow as close as you can, hook up the winch strap and winch the boat onto the new trailer.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I towed the boat from it's palatial surroundings at the farm to my tight fitting two car garage in Chicago. The Admiral stated very clearly who's car would be parking on the street. I already miss all the room but now I can work on it more than once a month.

I ordered my gas tank and fit it in. I think it looks pretty good and fits fairly well. There is about 5 inches space between the transom and tank so I guess I can store lines there. It is not as long as the flatter 18 gallon tank many of us had on these boats which allows me to access the bilge much easier. port side aft.jpg port side with 21 gallon tank.jpg

Watermann

How much fuel does that new tank hold? Looks right at home under there.