1977 StarCraft 18' Super Sport Needs Rehab [SPLASHED 2017]

Decker83

Commander
The deck looks great.. I think I will get a measurement between the inside of the stringers close to the bottom.. When I install the floor I will just pull them back in place.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Managed to get away for an hour to epoxy my deck. I was reminded to keep the batches small so it does not harden up while trying to do multiple boards. I have a nice hockey puck at the bottom of my mixing container.

Next step is to cut out my bow seats. The wood shop instructor told me the dust from Douglas fir (marine plywood) causes asthma like symptoms if you inhale it. This makes sense because I had trouble breathing while cutting last month. Symptoms last two days. epoxy day three.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Or it could be all the dried glue dust going airborne?

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a good work day yesterday. Installing the transom is definitely a two man job if you leave the splash well in. After about two hours of pounding the transom trying to get it to fit, I discovered why it wouldn't cooperate. Evidently if you leave a chisel in the well, it won't go all the way in. Who new?

I water tested the hull and only two rivets showed any sign of leaking. I also power washed the interior and didn't have any leaking rivets up top. I am keeping the lovely green vinyl on the sides of the hull. Don't have time to take it off, it cleaned up well, and it is growing on me. I was able to save all the original flotation foam because it was in really good shape with just a little discoloring (see photo). I did not paint the interior ribs with Gluvit because the temperature is too cold in the barn I am working in and the boat needs to be out of the barn in March when it is still too cold to paint outdoors around Chicago. I did put a bead of 5200 along the seam in the bow.

I forgot about the strips of aluminum that tie the stringers and deck together, this answered my previous question about how to bend the stringers back into place before I lay down the decking. This saved me from cutting and bending an old aluminum sign to tie the stringers together.

It seems I may have cut back the deck a wee bit too far near some of the ribs. If needed, what kind of screws are recommended for fitting the deck into the ribs?

Thanks for all the help.
chisel ooops.jpg floatation 1.jpg deck half done.jpg deck installed not rivets.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm not understanding the

Cut the deck back too far at the ribs, what screws to use?

Question

Will 5200 cure below a temp that GluvIt wont?

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am pretty sure I cut back the deck too far from the edge of the ribs so rivets may not reach the ribs. I was thinking I may have to use screws in these areas because it would be too much of a reach for rivets. I believe the can of gluvit said it needs a temperature of mid 70s for a few days to cure. The temp in the barn doesn't get above low 60s.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you use screws it'll try to pull the deck down tight or strip the hole in the rib out trying to do it.

Got to try and figure a way to fill the void between the deck and the rib.

When you pulled the original deck and styro, were there any styro beads loose in the bottom of the hull? That's 1 reason its replaced too, they clog the limber holes.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No loose Styrofoam in the boat. There was some foam I did have to throw out so I will be buying some new foam for the bow.

Watermann

If you absolutely have to use screws then I would order some Sharx SS decking screws. Just be sure to use the right length and to not over tighten and snap the heads which will happen in a hurry with these when going into metal on one end and wood on the other.

sharx.gif

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What do you think about the color options for the side panels, bow seats, and deck? I will probably go with a few white flakes in the deck vinyl. I have come to like the funky 1970s vinyl. The panels and bow seats would be marine upholstery fabric. ss boat color sample.jpg

Watermann

Uh if I had to pick one I guess avocado is my favorite color from the 70's... mustard on the other hand not so much. :mmph:

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watermann, I was thinking about creating a late 1970s San Diego Padres color scheme.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally was able to get another day working on the boat yesterday. I finished riveting the deck together, installed the vinyl floor, and replaced a few rivets on the bottom of the hull. Out of about 80 rivets, I somehow found the original hole about 5 times. My next work day will be installing the bow seat frame, bow seats, and hopefully the consoles. My fancy rivet gun jammed up and broke so I had to use a 30 year old hand rivet gun. I am feeling it today. A few questions and enjoy the photos:

1. What type of padding have you used for the bow seats and side panels. I don't plan on making cushions, just something with a little comfort. Do I need padding for the side panels (the original had a very thin layer)
2. Electrical is not my thing, can someone send me a link to a good wiring diagram for the console.
3. My bow seats were bent near the console, I plan on flattening out and reinforcing with an old aluminum sign as support.

Thanks for your comments as always.
rivets going in.jpgdeck installed.jpgvinyl installed.jpg next workday project.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Nice forward progress Irv, your going to be on the water before long :thumb:

Most use batting for the side panels. Dash wiring, there's a bunch of them out there, do a google image search and most will be form here at iboats. Pick the one that is closest to what you have going on. Not sure exactly what is bent and where to add my pennies on that.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Watermann. The bow panels were bent by the PO near where they connect to the console.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Flooring looks great Irv, you are flying along. What adhesive did you use? I'm having a hard time figuring out what to use on mine.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Candutch,
I used basic outdoor carpet adhesive from Menards which costs about $12. I read a few posts and some used this type of project and it has worked them. Just make sure it is warm enough when you put it on.
Bob
deck adhesive.jpg

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Irv, we don't have Menard here but I will research that adhesive and see if I can get it here or something similar.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just found out my 1976 Mercury 85 has bad compression. 90, 90, 110, and 112. Any know of a motor around Chicago?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
That sucks Irv I hope you can find another for a good price. I worry about mine as well since I never checked it before I bought it. It's jammed in a corner of the garage though so it won't come out until ready to go on. I'll be sure to check mine before I do that.