1983 Starcraft SS 180 rebuild

How about renaming it " '83 rebuild " ??? Thats about it for now. Will post photos as time goes on. Should not be a big deal, I wouldnt think. Replace floors, discard and replace seats etc. The motor and stuff seems like it might be a bit complicated but no more difficult than the engines I've rebuit. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box but follow instructions well. ;)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Changed title, hows it fit?

See ya when you get to the rebuild.....

Yep, pix as you tear in to it

I think I'll stick with the motor currently on it. The smaller 40-50-60hp motors currently for sale are several thousand dollars used ! ! !
I'll have to learn to run it economically if possible...

jbcurt00

Staff member
If it fires, the throttle has lots of variety between no wake speed and WOT. It should plane quickly and allow you to throttle back and cruise at both a reasonable speed and fuel consumption rate.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I think I'll stick with the motor currently on it. The smaller 40-50-60hp motors currently for sale are several thousand dollars used ! ! !
I'll have to learn to run it economically if possible...
There ya go. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And you won't have to mess with de-rigging a big single followed by re-rigging with dual engines. Don't forget that adding a dual binnacle to the boat would have added more cost as well. Perhaps several hundred dollars.

Then again, there's just something sexy about twins. Ya know? :D

WC-220-Maverick-with-Twin-Yamaha-Outboards-2xhw21m0v0zw73r8418oow.jpg

Attachments

• WC-220-Maverick-with-Twin-Yamaha-Outboards-2xhw21m0v0zw73r8418oow.jpg
    WC-220-Maverick-with-Twin-Yamaha-Outboards-2xhw21m0v0zw73r8418oow.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 2
Looking at the twin yamaha's in the photo reminds me of a saying I heard long ago; "If you gotta ask, you cant afford it".
Thats NOT the kind of boat one takes back in the trees at Lake Fork or Richland-Chambers.
If I gotta fish the other end of the lake, I put mine ( 12 ft Sears with 5.5hp Evinrude) back on the trailer and drive down there....

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome Diesel_Pusher, I'm a little late to the party but I'm here. Great boat choice and a nice motor as well. Carb rebuild, check all the fuel lines for cracking and rot, and a Linc and sinc and it should be a runner. I've read in the Johnnyrude section on here that for the V4's you can count on 10% of the Hp for hourly fuel consumption at WOT, so 9 gallons an hour. I have gone a high as 13 gal per hour pulling a tube with my 90 but that was working real hard. If your 18 is lightly loaded and you can keep it on plane at half or below you should get pretty good fuel burn 3-4 GPH.

Yes, mine is claimed to "start" but not idle or run. I recently bought another identical motor to scavenge parts from as needed. This "new" purchase is claimed to run well and be quite serviceable for its age.
The dealer claims lower unit is 20 inches. Dont know if this is longer than the usual 90hp Evinrude currently on this boat. I figure the extra parts (carbs etc) are worth what I paid for it.

What kind of manual would be best for this 1983 Evinrude 90hp motor??? Free would be "best" but barring that, a part or model number...Clymer etc???

jbcurt00

Staff member
Factory service manual is worth every penny you pay

Free/online manuals are worth what you paid as well

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Just read your thread.. Looks like you found a nice restore SS..
I have been fishing Lake Fork since the early 80's.. Great lake.. ​

I used to live in Longview, TX but moved north in 1979. I've never gotten to fish lake Fork. I heard Richland-Chambers is pretty good also. I'm hoping that the timber wont dent up the SS ????? Will have to stay out of the thick stuff...