1983 Starcraft SS 180 rebuild

I just bought an older Starcraft aluminum boat but cannot get any information about it on Google. That is a first for me! ! !
The hull ID seems to be the original and is located on the starboard side of the transom. It is STRK 91780683-A3.
I bought the boat from the daughter of the original owner (deceased) in Chicago.
It has a Wauconda Marine (out of business) (Wauconda, IL) sticker faded below the HIN.
Anyone have an idea how to get some information on this boat????
please reply to espiritusengineering@yahoo.com as I'm older an not very good at this blogging stuff.
Thanx in advance. Will probably have a few more questions in the coming months.

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

If you can post a couple of photos, we can probably ID her for you. I hope you got some paperwork from the daughter. From the HIN STRK91780683, a HIN decoder comes up with this.
83 hin.PNG

I thank you very much for your time and obvious talent ! ! !
I was hoping that the HIN, like the VIN on a car would give some information about which boat I was dealing with??? Model, length, etc.
I bought the item from the original owner's daughter as part of his estate on Ebay.
Its a walk through type arrangement with seating in front of the windshield.
Steering is on the starboard side. It currently has a 90hp Johnson V-6 outboard (90hp) on the back. This seems large to me compared to my 12 footer with 6hp Evinrude. I could never have afforded this boat new on my truck driver's pay.
It will require a large bit of cleaning up as the floor is rotted as are the seat/cushions...
The paint appears to be the original off-white or light beige ???
Supposed to be 19 feet but having been to Chicago to see it, it seems a bit shorter?????
Any other info you could provide will be duly appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Diesel_Pusher

jbcurt00

Staff member
HIN doesnt decode like a VIN. Pix and the brochure pages may help ID it.

My 1960s 18ft Holiday actually measures 18ft 6in, but Starcraft listed it as an 18ftr, rounding down. Many people consider it a 19ftr because its longer then 18ft, rounding it up.

Sounds like its an SS180, an outboard

Rated up to 140hp, if its 16ft, the 90 would be max for the smaller SS160.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

She sounds like a SuperSport, model SS180. From the referenced 1983 brochure above;

And

These are the specs for all the '83 Starcrafts.

Dear Sir: You hit the nail on the head there. Thats the one, right down to the color. I dont think I'll keep the big (90hp) OMC outboard though.
I'll be looking for something around 40hp for economy sake. Maybe two used 20 -35hp motors with separate tanks, side by side, so I wont walk home???
I used to row quite a bit when younger but this rascal is too large and I'm too olde for that rowing nonsense anymore! ! !
I desire something more difficult to fall out of than a john-boat... Getting back in is too tough. I also wear a life jacket now.
I've got a trip planned to Minesotta next autumn if the world doesnt blow up.
thanx for your help. I owe you a beer or three.
cheers, fishphart (olde phart)

GA_Boater

It looks like JB and I both found the same brochure. :smile:

I don't know if the 90 HP OMC is a thirsty motor. but I hope you try your Super Sport with the 90 before deciding to switch.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
With an 18' boat a 40 HP motor would be seriously under powered. If your looking for something more economical than the thirsty OMC V4 then I would suggest a 70 HP 3 cylinder Johnnyrude. They're great motors that are easy on fuel and super reliable.

I thank you all for the information offered.
At this stage of life, I'm pretty much a one man band and wont be involved in any water skiing or racing around that requires serious ponies.
When I started paying on this a couple weeks ago, I was just looking for something more forgiving of conditions than my current 12 foot Sears with a 6hp Evinrude on it. Great settup for many years but not very forgiving if caught out in bad weather.
Nice thing about a small rigs though, just drag it up on the bank somewhere IF possible....
What model motor was that 70hp three cylinder??? I assume johnnyrude was slang for johnson/evinrude ???
Similarly a slag for Freightliner is "freight-shaker". Did I get that right???
I was thinking with regard to having a couple 20-35's motors on baqck, ( run them both at the same time???) that they are pull start as well as electric.
The larger motors would leave me high and not so dry if the battery or starter quits???
I was tough enough as a youngster but dont imagine pull starting the larger motors is even possible????
Any ideas would be welcome and appreciated.

64osby: You are some super sleuth. That is my Ebay boat exactly. Any information, good or bad, would be appreciated. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box but have rebuilt a couple engine, both diesel and gas, and follow instructions well.
The engine starts but will not run. I guess a carburator rebuild and/or a fuel pump replacement may be in order???

Last edited:

GA_Boater

The best thing on the motor is to post in the Johbson/Evinrude section for advice on getting her running again. There are some things to check and they can fill you in over there.

64osby

Admiral
It was easy to find. :)

If you go to the sticky's at the top you will find multitudes of projects. The SS is one of the most popular. There are many here with great knowledge and who are willing to help you along. :cool:

Take lots of pictures before tearing the interior out. Measurements can also be helpful. Save as much as possible, things like templates (floor and transom) can help make the rebuild easier.

When you say it starts but won't run. It fires but won't stay running? If that is the case try pumping the primer bulb while starting it. If it runs then rebuild the fuel pump. If not rebuild the carbs. The guys in the Johnson / Evinrude sections are fantastic at helps with motors.

I have a 70 for my Lone Star project but have never had it on the water. If / when I ever finish the project I'll let you know.:facepalm:

It will be a very nice boat on the water.:D

64osby:
what make, model and year is this 70hp three cylinder(?) that is so well thought of???
whats the feasibility of running dual mootrs that are smaller and pull startable 35hp each or some such???
Is Dura-Ply used to replace the floors on such boats??? also call MDO, medium density overlay...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just a suggestion... How about we rename this topic something that fits a rebuild? As the conversation is pretty far from just the HIN question.

I had NO idea there were so many ! ! ! I'm a bit out of my depth here.
How do I thank you all and end this thread(?) as has been suggested???

64osby

Admiral
No need to end it and your not out of your depth.

Every redo is great as it helps others. We all learn and figure stuff out.

You might have an idea that changes the world of fixing up tin boats forever.:happy: