1968 starcraft. Just starting and need some help.

Rosezupnorth

Cadet
I just traded a canoe I won for this 1968 Starcraft and I am in love! For a long time I have been trying to find the perfect "grumpy old men" style boat, and I found it! I plan I using the winter to fix it up, and try to bring some life back into it. One thing is that I don't even know the model... I have done alot a research and it has been harder than I thought just to find the name of it. Also, one of the starcraft emblems on the side is broken and, once again, this has proven to be more difficult then originally thought.
Does anyone know what the model is, or know of a good website to try and find it?
Same goes for the emblem...
Any advice would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
At the top of the Starcraft forum is a link to the brochures. Take a look at the 68 brochure and compare the dimensions of yours to those listed. Shouldnt prove difficult.

The emblems have popped up on ebay every now and again, some are re-pops from an original that was misshapen, so I wouldnt buy them, but someone does every time they get posted.

Do you have all the pieces of the broken one? If you can put it back together w epoxy or super glue, you can cast a mold of it and make your own replica. I havent tried but at least 1 Starmada member did and they turned out pretty good. At least better then the ebay misshapen ones.

If you do, cast both sides.

Welcome to the Tin-Sanity and iboats

Last edited:

Rosezupnorth

Cadet
Thanks for the info jbcurt00 I will definitely look into it. My boat has two of the emblems, one is in perfect shape and the other, the bottom of the f and t are broken off. I'm sure I will pop up with more questions throughout the year!

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
What is the exact length? Beam? # seats? I would guess 14' 1" with a 64 inch beam
How many knees are there? (angle braces connecting transom to floor) 1 or 3? Prob 1. Marlin 14 footer had 3.
How many aluminum stringers are there? 1 or 2?

Rosezupnorth

Cadet
14' 1" 3 angle braces and only one stringer but it's connected in 3 places, stringer is at the bottom and then its conected on the sides.and 3 seats.

I tried posting a picture but I won't upload.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Looks like the beam measurement will narrow it down but be warned - my 1965 Marlin 14 had a beam that measured a lot less than listed because prior owners decided to remove seats and stuff tends to move inward when you do that. If you have original seats installed (which I doubt) it would be a dream come true.

The single stringer down the center i found to be problematic The ribs ends were the fastening point for the floor.
(with a fastener to the stringer as well.) My stringer is a section of aluminum that measures 8 feet. I used a 10 foot piece of encapsulated yellow pine to stiffen things up a bit. Just a thought.

COuple of pics for fun.

Attachments

• photo228574.jpg
    photo228574.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo228575.jpg
    photo228575.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo228602.jpg
    photo228602.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo230568.jpg
    photo230568.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 2

Rosezupnorth

Cadet
Well I'm not sure if it's the original seats, could be because the wood is very weathered, but it does have the original brackets for the seats. Everything in this boat is original and I got it from the guy who bought it brand new.

Rosezupnorth

Cadet
pro-crastinator I can get some better pics of my boat when the weather wants to cooperate. If you are on Facebook and wanna chat, I am the only rose zaspel on there, come find me.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
It boils down to beam.
The measurement between the rails (gunnels)
Beam Model Name Notes
64" Marlin 40hp max - Has a closed bow
62.5" 14 Seafarer 40 HP max
57" 14 Superduty 28 HP max
53" 14 Seascamp 18 HP max
54" 14 John 25 HP max

I am betting on the 14 seafarer cause you mentioned the three knees.
Put a measuring tape on the beam and see what it says.
If unsure,