Which motor for Starcraft supersport 16

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
I know this might be a brand loyalty question but...
I'm just finishing my supersport 16 restoration
My question is this which one of these two outboards would be best on my supersport?
I have a 1977 75 hp 3 cylinder manual tilt motor that is in very good running condition and ready to hang on the boat BUT I also just came into possession of a 1980 70 hp Mercury 3 cylinder motor power tilt . The Mercury sat for 10 years in a shed due to a broken starter motor which at the time it quit was quoted as a $382.00 repair. I got it for free for hauling the quite water logged boat away that the motor once hung on. The Mercury after letting some oil soak in for a couple days had 125 compression on all 3 cylinders (testing with a rope) then checked for spark which was also great on all 3 cylinders anyway after putting a couple new fuel lines on and cleaning the carbs and putting a new $56.00 Ebay starter , I have a very nice running Mercury on my hands I don't think this motor saw much use .
The Mercury has the old 2 piston tilt with the separate pump and lines the pump does work , the cylinders look good has all braided hoses I just havent hooked it all up to test it but am guessing it will work.
I have never had either outboards before so I don't know pros or cons of either motor , I like the Evinrude it looks much heavier duty compared to the Mercury but that's just looks.
I look forward to answers from supersport owners that may have run one or the other.
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Brand preference aside, I would go with the TnT Merc. It would make boat driving so much easier. I don't have TnT and wish I did.

jbcurt00

Staff member
T and T would be great to have, ballpark, I'd bet the Merc would be a tad heavier and put out about the same amount of thrust, despite being 'rated' 5hp lower.

Besides w T and T, the setup would likely be much easier to fine tune in all conditions, overcoming the 5hp difference anyway.

dozerII

Admiral
I would go with the Merc with the TNT as well, just be sure to change the water pump in it If you over heat that one it it toast, the block and head are cast one piece. Ol-blue 16SS came with one of those that lost the pump, when we started it it ran great, hooked up the water after the water pump change and it squirted water out around two spark plugs.

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I didnt think the 5 hp would make a difference but I thought the weight of the TNT would but , I guess the ability to fine tune would make up the difference.
Anyone that has comments on experience with the Evinrudes jump right in , I value all information , I'll only be keeping one of the motors.
Thanks for the advice so far