Starcraft Mariner 14' Date of Manufacture

N2Motors

Seaman Apprentice
All,

I just bought a cabin and a Starcraft boat came with. The motor is a 1969 Electric Start Johnson and while the title claims this boat is a 1982 I am skeptical as the there is absolutely no HIN anywhere on the transom or side of boat. The title references a HIN of 585382 (which would presumably imply 1982), but this HIN is not found anywhere on the boat. The only marking is what I found on the picture (which is on a placard right by the steering console.

I've looked high and low for the serial number listed, but still have not had luck. I also tried to email Starcraft, but per their website it appears I can only contact their dealer network.

Look forward to everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo233321.JPG
    photo233321.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 3

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
585382 is not the correct format for a HIN, no matter what the title says. What year does the title say? The serial number on the title should match the numbers on the data plate, so no idea what you have or if you got the correct title.

N2Motors

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks GA_Boater.

The title says 1982 which again I'm not buying it as something just doesn't add up?.

Again, the only placard and / or numbering on the boat is what I had in the photo. This appears to be a very old format and my understanding HINs were required on all boats imported or manufactured after 1972. Thus one theory is I have a boat that is pre 1972 and while there is no guarantee that there motor and hull were together, suppose it is quite possible the motor on my boat (1969) is original to the hull and perhaps my boat is 1969.

I also started to read about home made boats and noted that homemade boats have a 'Z' after the state abbreviation for where the boat was made/registered. I also found these digits engraved on the back of the boat (I had previously dismissed them) although I am starting to think this is a homemade HIN being:

IN (For Indiana)
Z (For homemade)
Then 103156151

Thus regardless of what my title says, I'm thinking the boat is pre 1972. Thoughts?

I wish a Starcraft would be able to tell me more about the serial number that is affixed?..

Attachments

• photo233409.JPG
    photo233409.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 4

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sounds about right for a pre 72 hull w no factory HIN.

Turn and face the nearest wall. Ask the wall whatever question you want to ask Starcraft. Unfortunately, the replies will be similar :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ha ha. The wall might echo, SC is mute.

INZ does not mean homemade. It means the HIN is issued by Indiana in I'll guess, 1982. Your boat may have come to Indiana from a non-title state and issuing a HIN was the only way. Your title should have the same HIN.

I have a state issued HIN beginning with GAZ because the DNR ranger said it's either issue a HIN or wait forever to verify the original SC serial number.

N2Motors

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. Great comment on no feedback from Starcraft…. You think they would set up a public relations email or consumer question type hotline. I think it is really cool they made these boats so long ago and they are still working/floating. You would also think they would cherish that rather than turn a blind eye.

I searched high and low and was really hoping hat there would be a code or a way to interpret the serial number located next to the helm. Surely the serial number of 919245 on the placard must mean something…. I could not find anything definitive.

However, I did come across some original Starcraft brochures and trade in values that were posted on Fiberclassics.com/library/starcraft Great site that outlines some good on the history of old Starcraft boats. My boat appears to in a 1967 as this appears to be the only year they made the Mariner 14'. This is as per the '1972 trade in guides' posted on the aforementioned website. All other years the Mariner was made it was sold as the Mariner V. From what I gather this simply involved changing the hull slightly and possibly adding more of a lapstrake planking look to their hull. Since my placard only says Mariner, my hypothesis is this is 1967. Interesting to note my boat was was $204 as trade in in 1972 (less repairs of course!).:joyous:

Last edited: