CMC PT-130 Power tilt and trim

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seriously considering buying one of these and installing it on my 16 Super Sport with 70hp Mercury(3 cyl). Anybody have any experience putting one of these on this type of boat/engine combo? Hoping I won't have to buy longer control cables or anything like that. Really tired of manually tilting this monster, it's an original manual tilt engine.

Alumarine

Captain
Don't know about this trim unit but if the cables aren't long enough but could you not add a used trim/tilt to the motor?

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't know about this trim unit but if the cables aren't long enough but could you not add a used trim/tilt to the motor?

Considered that too, mine would take the older style external lifts on each side of motor mount, to the best of my knowledge rebuild kits are no longer available for those units (1983 Mercury 70), so it seems kind of risky to buy a used one and hope it hangs together. Kind of burned out on refreshing the used components.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have the PT130 on my SeaNymph and it's been flawless. You shouldn't have to worry buying new control cables unless yours are at their limit right now with no slack, I didn't have to, The set back isn't that much in the end. Besides the power and relays there's just the trim button wires that come with the unit and the wires are like 20' long.

IMAG0393.jpg

Last edited:

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have one on my 16 super sportsman with an 85 Force. Works fine but a little heavy along with my 19 gal fuel tank under the well.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the PT130 on my SeaNymph and it's been flawless. You shouldn't have to worry buying new control cables unless yours are at their limit right now with no slack, I didn't have to, The set back isn't that much in the end. Besides the power and relays there's just the trim button wires that come with the unit and the wires are like 20' long.

IMAG0393.jpg

Looks great! My 70 merc has screw clamps, how much higher do you think this will raise the engine with the adapter plate? It just looks like from the online instructions that the engine will sit 2-3 inches higher than it does now. How does it work with the steering cable getting flexed a little when the engine is tilted now?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The distance traveled when tilting isn't a problem, about the only fear I had was the sharp angle the steering cable had to bend but it steers super easy. The best thing about having the TnT so far is that it completely eliminated the dang right hand torque so how you can trim it up just before porpoising and take your hands off the wheel. Before it was a fight to go in a straight.line and a chore to steer left.

IMAG0396.jpg

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found a near perfect oem tilt/trim set up for my Mercury so that is what we decided to go with. I even located a new tilt/trim switch. Hope to get it installed this winter.