SS4x4, A themed build.

Prepmech

Seaman
Hull is stripped. No more paint or green stuff.

Took the knee brace and Z brace off of the transom. The Z brace is cracked in two spots. Going to make a new one, rather than try to weld the old one. welding old thin aluminum sucks. The knee brace is broken where it bolts to transom wood, going to bolt some pieces of aluminum angle to it to fix that.

The bottom under where the knee brace mounts appears to have taken quite a bit of abuse. It is dented in, scratched up, and the rivets were wore pretty thin. Thinking about making a triangle shaped skid plate to fix/reinforce it. Probably attach it with some countersunk rivets.

Now that the paint is off, had a good chance to inspect the hull. No cracks or missing rivets. One small gouge in the bow, but it isn't split. Probably going to fill it with some JB Weld.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Good on ya for doing a thorough hull inspection and identifying the damage to repair, not everybody does that even when told about these common issues. :thumb:

Prepmech

Seaman
Been working on a few projects that were unfinished in the garage, making room to bring the boat inside for paint.

Have a harbor freight press I use the heck out of. Put an air/hydraulic jack I had in it, and replaced the roll pin on the release valve with a knob.

I think the next upgrade is going to be a foot pedal valve for it, so I can use both hands to hold what I'm working on.

I use it with a set of dimple dies to flare holes in sheet metal panels.

Probably going to end up putting a few holes in the boat before it is done.

Prepmech

Seaman
Almost have motor put back together.

IMG_20170525_211103148.jpg

IMG_20170525_211114705.jpg

Watermann

Whoa spotless, looks great :thumb:

Welcome back :happy:

Prepmech

Seaman
Still working on some little things on the engine. Some of the wiring is pretty brittle from sitting so long, so working on replacing it now.

Painting the inside of the cowling white made everything much easier to see.

Using Weatherpack connectors to try to simplify everything.

IMG_20170615_114954500.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Spectacular! You've really set a high bar for the rest of us to reach!

Watermann

You're able to find enough room inside your motor controls to use those big plugs? :confused:

Prepmech

Seaman
You're able to find enough room inside your motor controls to use those big plugs? :confused:

I don't have the original motor controls, using an aftermarket unit that will have everything separated. Ignition switch will be on dash.

Prepmech

Seaman
The ignition switch was a rejected return where I work, someone opened the packaging and we got stuck with it. Going to use it rather than fight to return it to our supplier. The only downside is that it is too short of shank to use in plywood dash, so going to have to make an aluminum bracket for it. But it is the correct switch for the magneto, with push to choke for the enrichiner.

Fits with my goal to use materials I already have. Somehow I had three Evinrude motors but no controls.

Prepmech

Seaman

Used a non-ferrous blade to cut some aluminum last night. Worked great, a lot quieter than I was expecting.

Prepmech

Seaman
The back of the keel was pretty beat up, so I cut a piece to reinforce it, and give my knee brace a little more support.

Watermann

Looks like you matched up the dead rise angle pretty good on your patch. :encouragement:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

to get my holes straight I drilled out a piece of metal rectangular tubing on the drill press and then used the tubing as my guide flush against the transom, might work for ya

Attachments

• photo260621.jpg
    photo260621.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 0

Prepmech

Seaman
to get my holes straight I drilled out a piece of metal rectangular tubing on the drill press and then used the tubing as my guide flush against the transom, might work for ya

Heck yeah! I've got the perfect scrap piece of tubing to use for it too. Its too short for anything else, glad I saved it now.